Small/Tiny House Movement

Nah, As cool as moving walls are, I just make a place livable and efficient.
I don't want to have to roll out my kitchen, yo. That's just wrong.

Ya, moving walls seem like they are a good solution for some people, but I don't think they're something I would like.

The cottage designs from Tumbleweed Tiny Houses seem like they would fit us well. The Whidbeyis currently my favorite. I like the setup shown in the interior pictures, looks like its the 2 bedroom, open floorplan design with the loft split to give high ceilings for the great room.

Thank you for the bump, it made me start researching shipping containers again for fun. They're still as cheap as they were back then, if not cheaper.

I figure for under 5k I can get 2 40ft containers and weld them together.

Thats a LOT of welding. I'd bury one 3/4 of the way underground and stack the other on top, then have a two story vaguely phallic house. What more could you really want?
Really, though, I'd accept skinny *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing rooms and just bolt or tack a couple of door frames between them, then find some other way to make it watertight.

Sadly, I don't think that would be an option in Florida. We're so close to sea level we can't even have basements or a subway because they'll flood.

Shipping containers are watertightish. As long as you have solid footings, I think it'd be fine.

Rust would be my biggest worry with shipping containers. It seems like most of the shipping container buildings I've seen have at least a little rust, if not on the container itself, then on a weld or support/attachment point. Rust probably wouldn't spread as fast as on cars, but no one really cares about rusted out fenders on a 20 year old car. Maybe I'm just thinking of them as being more long term than they're meant to be.

Zero said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsuwNfRU_8

That guy built a pretty decently sized roof over his shipping container house. I'd imagine that would help good bit with rust unless it's really windy. Then again, I really don't know much about this stuff.
That's actually the video I thought I saw rust on, but I couldn't find it again. Maybe I was just thinking of the examples he showed of how it attaches to the foundation.

I found this page that talks about the rust issue. It looks like rust can work very quickly in an area right by the ocean if the proper prep isn't done. I wonder how much more new containers are than used ones. Used containers would likely require muuuuch more sand blasting/grinding to prep for paint.

We've been considering an RV as a way to try out tiny house living. We would probably get a class A or C motorhome because I don't want to need a truck to pull it. Its been back and forth, RVs aren't really that great for living in full time as they're generally built cheap/light and usually focus on maximizing sleeping/seating capacity over livability. I feel that the lofts in most tiny houses play a big role in increasing living space for a given length. RVs with slide outs kind of make up for it, but at the expense of having another place for leaks and other maintenance issues.

Might just save our money, downsize our belongings, and find other ways to simulate a tiny house.

For sure. I'm thinking a two car garage would be big enough for extra storage, work area, and maybe even a place to park a car. I feel like we could make it with just a tiny house, but a garage would help our Costco membership remain useful and keep the bikes and my toys out of the way/rain.

Maybe have the garage professionally built first and live out of it while building the tiny house.

I've been looking into bus to RV conversions the last few days. Seems like a decent compromise between a prebuilt RV and a tiny house as far as quality goes. We don't really have the time or space to do the conversion, though...
A big part of my urge for something now is that the house we're in now costs my full housing allowance for rent, even though its not that great. Something like an RV would cost about a third of my housing allowance to park at an RV park, leaving the rest to pay for the RV/save.

We're pretty committed to getting an RV in the next couple months. Pretty much ruled out motorhomes, just isn't worth the space lost for the driving area. Going to try to look at a truck tonight. It'll be a lot easier to get serious looking for trailers when we can actually tow one. Looking to keep the truck/trailer total under $20k, which we could easily pay off before I'm out of the Army.

It shouldn't be too difficult to come across an early/mid 90's fullsize for $2-3K. That should give you a nice handful to play with for the trailer.
Maybe talk to some people with horses. You might find someone that's getting ready to get a new tow vehicle, providing you with an opportunity to grab a nice dualie for a good price.

Benefit number two to trailer over motorhome: You aren't SOL if your tow vehicle breaks down. You're SOL if your house breaks down.

ttsgeb said:
It shouldn't be too difficult to come across an early/mid 90's fullsize for $2-3K.
You would think so, but that doesn't seem to be the case around here. Being next to the border probably doesn't help. Buying a low MPG vehicle while gas prices are this low certainly doesn't help either. I want a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that has an extended or crew cab, preferably GM or Ford. It looks like a Suburban or Excursion might be easier to find in my price range, but that would rule out a fifth wheel and its difficult to tell from ads whether or not a suburban is a 1500 or 2500 (Excursions are all 3/4 ton).

The truck we looked at the other night was a 2000 Ram 2500 with a Cummins. It was cheap for what it is, so I had to take a look at it and see if it was a screaming deal or just a turd that looked good in the pictures. Ended up being a turd. It had a flat tire, dead battery (new one on the way), interior was worse than the picture showed, and to top it off the windshield was destroyed (it was perfect in the pictures). Mostly minor issues, but together with the kinda shady dealer, I decided it wasn't worth it.

You definitely want to have a fifth wheel with this. You're going to have a ton more to choose from, and it's safer to tow.

Getting a 24' KZ Sportster toyhauler. Its in great shape and the bed is in the rear "garage" area on a lift, so that space can be used during the day with the bed lifted to the ceiling. Also found a 2003 GMC 2500HD that should pull it nicely. I've called dibs on both, just have to get the financing stuff worked out. Hopefully we'll own both by the end of the week.

Back