Small/Tiny House Movement

nterror

I find this to be an incredibly interesting idea. Has anybody else heard of this and thought of going through with it?

The main issue I see is the land and utilities. Land can be pretty expensive, and so would installing the utilities.

I personally would just get a camping trailer/motorhome. Probably more cost effective (first video estimated $12k total cost, which was half of the usual estimate for one that size, you can get a lot of used RV for that price), self contained (more flexibility with where you can park it, and doubles as an apocalypse survival shelter), and they have a lot of space saving features, which may be hard to replicate. I've actually thought of living in one after the military, but that would only be if I'm single at that point, which is looking unlikely.

Been researching/drawing up the design for my tiny house for about a year now. When I home i'll link you to some good sites bout it.

I've always found shipping container houses to be neato. Have just one, or stack a couple together, and you already have a frame for your house. Often designed to be easily packed and unpacked, for moving around with relative ease.
ie
LeAsI.jpg

I don't understand the philosophy of wanting a big home for a dream home. Why? What are you going to use the needless space for? If anything, a needlessly large house would seem intimidating to live in. If you had a family, it's more understandable to have a bigger house. Maybe I'm not used to big houses, especially down here. Maybe it's because I live in and have grown up in a fairly small property. But still.

DK  said:
http://relaxshacks.blogspot.com/
http://littleyellowdoor.wordpress.com/ Wish I knew the girl building this one, she's kinda awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq1yVsjG1M

Just moved onto a boat so I'll keep you filled in on how it's like to live in a tiny house.

We've a boat, I've thought about trying to live in it. I would need to replace the ice box with an actual fridge before I could do it, though. I was thinking if I go to university to Rice I'll try living in our boat for a while. It's about the same drive from my house (with my parents) to Rice as it is to the boat from Rice, but I still want an excuse to live on my own for a while.

I've actually thought about shipping containers before too Antome. There is a port around here so I'm sure I could get them pretty cheap if I wanted to. Only issue I can think of with building a tiny house here is the whole hurricane situation, so it would either have to be really sturdy, or small enough to fit in a garage if needed. Well that, and the whole land thing.

Still though, the entire concept is pretty interesting. Anyone down to groupbuy some land and make a MR colony of tiny houses? :p

Once thepiratebay secures and island, we could all move there.

Shipping containers are indeed awesome. Didn't think about natural disasters, because we have absolutely null here in hamilton :dah:

I never thought of any natural disasters either, but it shouldn't be too hard to support one of these suckers. There are also a lot of cool ideas for shipping container houses, I just find the idea of building an entire house from scratch more attractive than scouring the state for a frame.

Shipping containers are a good idea. They should be fairly storm-proof, flooding and large trees falling on them are the only things that could really damage them. Any competent person should be able to turn them into a house several times more storm-proof than the average home. I would do something like the kid's house on Tron Legacy, so you aren't limited to the size of the containers interiors (but that would drift from the tiny house idea).

vskid3 said:
Shipping containers are a good idea. They should be fairly storm-proof, flooding and large trees falling on them are the only things that could really damage them. Any competent person should be able to turn them into a house several times more storm-proof than the average home. I would do something like the kid's house on Tron Legacy, so you aren't limited to the size of the containers interiors (but that would drift from the tiny house idea).
http://inhabitat.com/container-city-in- ... -hot-spot/
Also
http://www.carre-detoiles.com/
I'd love to live in a cube.

After less than 5 minutes of searching, I already found some nice sized shipping containers for around $1500. I'm really tempted to go further with this idea, but the whole land issue is a bummer. If I could figure out some place to put it, this could definitely work.

Mako, those cube houses are neat, but must be gigantic. If they are actually cubes, to have bed space on a loft to fit four people would just make it pretty large.

Also, Zero, if you put it on a trailer, there are different zoning laws and such, I believe. I would assume it would make everything easier. That is, if you're only using one shipping container.

Well, I just meant the fact that land in general isn't cheap around here. If it was on a trailer, then yeah, I could put it in a trailer park or something, but that's not very ideal.

wp000314.jpg

A 3*6 place isn't that bad of a bedroom/office... It could work.

Soon, I'll be moving into my truck so I can have an upgrade in space. :D

Holy bump, Batman!

Just wondering if anyone's tiny/small house ideas had gone any further than being ideas. My wife and I are currently looking into it. I don't know if we could handle one as small as the <200 sq ft trailer ones (especially if/when we have kids), but I think <600 sq ft would be alright.

Spent the past 2 years in a 500sqft apt. Worked great.
currently in about 300sqft. Works fine.

I've put a ton of thought into livable floor plans. Give me some dimensions, and I can make it happen.

Back