Show us your desktop!

Whenever you post a picture of your desktop, I feel like I went back in time 10 years.

ProgMetalMan said:
You want to ship me a monitor?
Heck no. I don't have enough for myself yet, so I'm surely not gonna be giving you any. I'm in the market for a solid 5 more, bottom end, and then I'm gonna go about replacing the ones I have with better ones.

Heck, I can't imagine running a single monitor at all, let alone one at that resolution - I'm running 4, all of which outclass that dramatically and I find myself cramped for space often enough.

I never understood why anyone would need more than one monitor, I use my HDTV as my Sony Vegas preview thing but other than that I stick to one.

Kickback said:
I never understood why anyone would need more than one monitor, I use my HDTV as my Sony Vegas preview thing but other than that I stick to one.
Two is brilliant. Use one for fullscreen game/movie/show with chat windows and such on the other. Or Heck, be typing an essay on one, have a web browser up for research on the other. Coding on one, notes, music and syntax guide on the other. Render preview on one, workspace on the other. Fullscreen viewports on one, toolbars on the other.

Three is even better; say, spreadsheet on one, browser on another, chat and music on a third. For my purposes I generally work on 3, with the fourth as an overflow panel that displays my steam library most of the time. Most of the time that amounts to foobar, skype and steam chat on the top panel, with two panels dedicated to chrome. It's very efficient, but I want to go for 5 way surround, and I'm gonna build an all new computer to do it, since this one is at the end of it's upgrade path, so I'm gonna leave this one all together and build the new one right next to it, so I should have 10 panels on one wall.

Edited to add a screenshot of current desktop in use.
1bii6lhp3esh3qs6g.jpg

Well, I don't have anything special on my desktop, but let me show you how I tend to use my dual screens since it's been a moment since I've posted a pic in this thread or looked at my desktop.
desktop021114.png

All of that sounds great (I might start using 2 monitors when I play games fullscreen so I can keep chat/browser windows open on the other) but honestly, i'd rather just switch between windows than use multiple monitors. I'd lose focus fast on where i'm keeping things.

I've had a dual monitor system at work before. If you're mainly just web browsing, gaming, and media'ing, I don't think there's much of an advantage to multiple monitors. However, if you're doing office stuff, it can be great to have a spreadsheet open on one monitor in order to type info (because copy-paste would be just as time consuming) from it to an email, Word doc, or Powerpoint on the other. Pretty much anything requiring viewing multiple windows at once and alt-tabbing won't do.

In all honesty, I would prefer one of these to having multiple monitors. Then again, if you have the money, who wouldn't?

I really only use Aero Snap to have a source and destination window when I do certain things. Otherwise I'm just switching. More real estate would be nice for Premiere Pro though.

XCVG said:
In all honesty, I would prefer one of these to having multiple monitors. Then again, if you have the money, who wouldn't?

I really only use Aero Snap to have a source and destination window when I do certain things. Otherwise I'm just switching. More real estate would be nice for Premiere Pro though.
Eh, I've been considering going 4k, but I still want more than one. Resolution is only part of the problem - fullscreen applications is the other half, and even if I was to switch to a 4k primary, I'd want at least one other panel to display chat, music and the like while I play games or watch video.

With that said, I don't plan on going to a single panel primary, until I can get a curved 40 to 50" 21:9 "5k" panel. I just enjoy gaming in surround too much to switch away from it for a single display, res notwithstanding. In fact, my current plans call for an all new computer to be built once the new nvidia/intel generation and DDR4 are available, and pairing it with 5 debezeled 120hz monitors in portrait. Then I'll retain this one in mostly the same configuration, so that I have a box to run games that don't work in surround.

You run into problems driving it if you have more resolution than that. Even a single 4K monitor requires two Titan/780Ti/290X to drive effectively. Frankly, I'm not sold on surround gaming either, mostly because bezels really bother me.

A second monitor would be useful for chatting ingame and such, but I've found trying to carry on a conversation while playing a game is an exercise in futility.

Multiple setups? I have neither the space nor the money nor the time. But if you can swing it and don't mind the inconvenience, all the power to you.

I love multiple monitors and feel lost without my second one on this computer. I would never use a multiple monitor setup for gaming though. It would just take too much power than I really feel like spending the money on.

XCVG said:
Even a single 4K monitor requires two Titan/780Ti/290X to drive effectively.
I don't believe people who say this. I do a solid 80% of my gaming at 3500x1920 on a single 770 2gb. I can certainly see where I'd want more power and ram to go up to the full 4k, but it seems a single Titan or two 770s would handle it just fine. Course, I don't spend much time worrying about max settings and high AA, but for most of the games I play I run high or better settings with no AA, and source flax all the way up with 16x aa.

As far as people complaining about bezels, I don't really have an issue with them - certainly they're less than ideal, and my new build will be built to minimize them (as opposed to the solid 1" panel gap I currently have), but with proper bezel correction, they're really not a big deal. I find the biggest issue with surround gaming is more the amount of games that simply won't run, or have issues when they run at such a resolution. There's additionally some system instability issues, which is part of why I want to build a dedicated surround rig and make this one a general purpose computer for internets and such and games that need to run on a single display.

All that said, what really needs to happen, is AMD or Nvidia needs to release a modern card with the port layout from the eyefinity 6 cards - that is, 6 minidisplayports per card. Because then you could run 4 way CFX/SLI with 24 ipad displays, 3 tall 8 wide. 16384x4608 wraparound display? Yes please.

XCVG said:
A second monitor would be useful for chatting ingame and such, but I've found trying to carry on a conversation while playing a game is an exercise in futility.

So much this, unless i'm playing Everybody's Golf or something, i'll talk to you when i'm done playing.

I'd like to add that I was running 2.5mp off of Intel integrated, and being able to game. Because of this, I have a hard time believing that you would need dual 780ti setup to run less than 4x the pixels (8mp). The logic just doesn't work. Even if you claim an exponential relationship, it doesn't add up.

Back