ShockSlayer's "Tchay's audio amp" guide!

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
ShockSlayer's "Tchay's audio amp" guide!

Get one here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Dyn ... m270.l1313

It's a mono amp, but it has stereo input. And it can be modded to have volume control. You'll want one of these if your screen doesn't do audio(and most don't!)

---Skip this is you don't like ModRetro fanfiction---
Okay, so here's the story:
After fighting for many days with the LM386 amp to get perfect quality crystal clear audio with no interference whatsoever, Tchay was at a loss. Even the valiant efforts of his dashing friend ShockSlayer(who is quite the handsome rouge) were of no use to him. He fell into heavy drinking and was often seen at bars. After a terrible breakup with his half-black half-latino all-Sega girlfriend, he fell into a spiraling drunken depression that seemed endless.

One night, he wandered into a nearby Target. As he was about to pass out from the high amount of alcohol in his veins, he fell into a nearby isle, and clutched onto some sort of plastic something, but his vision was blurred and full of interference; the liquor had taken it's toll.

The next morning, he woke up completely hung over, lying in the middle of the isle in Target as the janitor mopped around him. He went to rub his eyes but was met with a faceful of plastic, he had grabbed and held onto something hanging on the shelf. As he pulled it away from his face, he saw what it was: an audio amp.

Instantly, his hangover was completely cured, his junk warrior grew 8 additional inches, and his vision became clear. He rushed home, ripped open the amp, and the Envision was born.

---Okay, now the good stuff---

Here's what you'll get when you first open the box:
AMP1.jpg

I'd suggest putting in the batteries(twist the cover on the back) and testing it out, use an mp3 player, computer, gameboy, etc. If it doesn't work, obviously send that one back and get a new one; it's defective.

Now, as you can see from this next picture, I couldn't figure out how to get it open. I was about to crack it like an egg in my vice when this front cover popped off, revealing the screws:
AMP2.jpg

After you unscrew the 4 screws holding the case together, you'll be met with more screws. I suggest undoing all those till you end up with this:
AMP3.jpg

Now you are ready to start trimming! Here's a diagram and pinout:

pinout.png

The speaker is a 4Ohm 3W one, I haven't tried hooking up my 8Ohm ?W radioshack one yet. I wouldn't really recommend using this speaker as it's gigantic.

Alrighty, so if you are building a portable, you probably want volume control, and you probably also want a headphone jack. This amp comes with neither of those! Fortunately for you, I've already figured out how to solve these problems:

---Headphone jack---
Parts needed: Headphone jack, 100 Ohm(or higher if you prefer) Resistor

Headphone jack is easy, it's the same principal as the LM386. Wire it exactly like this:
pinoutwithheadphone.png

And there you have it! Headphone jack!

---Volume control---
Parts needed: 100k Potentiometer, 10k resistor

Volume control is slightly harder to do than headphones, but still 100% do-able, and well worth the effort.

You have to remove this Surface mount resistor:
thisresistor.png

We are replacing it with a potentiometer. This resistor is after the Left and Right signal lines are combined, but before they reach the amp. Again, same principal as the LM386.

Solder everything up like this:
pinoutwithvolumecontrol.png

And there you have it! Volume control!
The 10k resistor is there because without it, max volume was pretty Dang loud, louder than the amp was originally, which IMO isn't a good idea. It should probably be a higher resistance than 10k, maybe 20-30?

Here's a demonstration video of everything in action:

SS

YES. This is so helpful! I wont have time to try it out until Sunday or Monday.

I had some resistor on my setup just because there was too much noise without it. I'll have to play around and see how picky it is to your values. I'm also using a slider for volume control. Hopefully I can still get it working right.

And that amp took me a while to open up too :p

Nice SS!

With all the easy to wire cheap ebay amps there are to choose from now we should make a compendium of information thread for all the ones we come across. I know I've used 4 or 5 different "ipod amps" so far, all with varying results and ease of use.

This amp and setup works fine EXCEPT, plugging in the headphones during gameplay will cause the Envision to reset sometimes.

I would say 7/10 times the unit resets when I plug in headphones. But if I plug in early in gameplay or bootup, nothing resets. Headphones and sound work regardless.

Anyone know how to fix this issue? Is it possibly my jack? I'm using a PS1 screen jack.

Sounds like something is intermittently grounding out when you plug in your headphones. Are you sure you've got it wired right?

Ashen said:
Sounds like something is intermittently grounding out when you plug in your headphones. Are you sure you've got it wired right?

Pretty sure...I'll have to open it up and double check it I suppose.

Did anyone by chance save this thread for offline reading? I have the same system and need to some how incorporate a pot.

Back