Second64

watsug

Second64
-Because I didn't do it right the first time

I took apart my first N64p to make a new better one.
Case:
IMAG0140.jpg

It was going to be for my PS1p but ended up being to small

Cart slot relocated and working :)
IMAG0174.jpg

I just spent 2,5 hours relocating this thing and it worked on first try :mrgreen:

Its a PAL 03-1 board. I was reading about U8 wiring and looked at my board and cant find it. If someone can point it out, that would be great :)

More updates tonight

EDIT: If the names taken, tell me so I can change it

Re: Second64 worklog

I have trimmed the board down and rewired some stuff like the led. Now it fits in my case :)
IMAG0177.jpg

You don't have a U8 chip, your board has a single buffer for each data line. You can get player 1 data from PIF 15.

It has individual buffer chips, you can see them there. What revision board is that?

Thanks

I'm probably going to solder to the resistors on the controller line.

βeta said:
What revision board is that?

It's NUS-CPU (P)-03-1.
It's a PAL board.

I have done some minor casework and got my controller working with a gc stick.

Mockup of my case
IMAG0192.jpg

I using ps1 buttons because I have alot of them :)
They will be painted in the right colors.

Now I'm off to cut my screenhole

EDIT: Screenhole is cut!
IMAG0193.jpg

Very clean cut on that screen hole, man! This looks like it's going to be good :awesome:

The controllers doesn't look quite as pretty, but hopefully it will after some filling and sanding :)
IMAG0194.jpg

I cut my controller in half last night. Now it doesn't work :wtf:
IMAG0198.jpg

I didn't wire up ground with the lower brown wire at first and turned on my N64. Thats bad right? Now it just says "no controller". The controller port is working with my other controller.
Anyone in europe got a N64 controller you can trade me? The stick condition doesn't matter.

Also, I ABS'ed in the analog stick hole

I think my last controller got fried when i didn't relocate ground... :confused: Lesson learned.

Now am I instead using a firstparty controller! However with a flashed atmega8a microcontroller that lets me use a PSX stick. The stickclick will act as start
IMAG0214.jpg

I also filled up the holes in my case. Still needs a lot of sanding though.

Edit to avoid doubleposting.
Is it cool to cut the traces to the exp. slot?
asd.png

How about those capasitors and bridges just below the line? My case is getting much smaller than I first expected :lol:

I need a cover for my cart. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make one? :)

Turns out my amp wasn't stereo, it just had two speakers. I trimmed it down and only use one big speaker now. Is there any way to increase bass or fade down the discant sounds? Some sounds in SM64 feel like they are scratching my eardrums... I also get a buzzing sound out of the speakers, could that be because the amp is getting 3,3 instead of 3 volts? How can I give it 3v instead? A resistor? :confused:

I still wonder if the traces for the controllers exp. slot is okay to cut?

Cutting off that part of the slot is fine. You may need to to reconnect ground across the board after the cut.

WatsuG said:
I need a cover for my cart. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make one? :)
Here's my suggestion, try to find an old DVD drive that's a little bigger than a n64 cartridge, take all of the electronics out, cut it shorter if needed, and use that as your cart cover.

Thanks :D. Will try that tomorrow, think I've got a few drives in my basement.
You mean the outer casing of he drive right, but isn't that often made out of metal?

WatsuG said:
You mean the outer casing of he drive right, but isn't that often made out of metal?
Usually, but not always. If you have an external DVD drive, then it should have plastic casing. Internal DVD drives don't have plastic cases.

The ones I found was internal and had metal casings... :confused:
I guess I will try to shape a sheet of plastic with a heatgun.

For batteries, I was thinking of using bp-915 camcorder batteries. If noone has a better suggestion, that will say. Are bp-915 packs 18650 cells or how big are they? It would be great if they were smaller :lol:

IMAG0231.jpg

:D Made out of plastic from the tophalf of a laptop.
Also, I have changed the powerwires for thinner more flexible ones.
I am thinking of painting it blue like lyberty5's WiiCube Fusion, that way will it also match my Siberia Headset :awesome:. My other option is cosmos green. Theres a graffity store I can go to and they have over two hundred colours of montana gold. They will hopefully be able to help me choose the best paint :)

Back