Schematic NUS-CPU-04, NTSC (1996,1997)

RDC

I've been working on this for a couple of days now, figured I'd put it out there to see if there's any interest.

NUS-CPU-04 TOP
NUS-CPU-04Top.jpg

NUS-CPU-04 BOTTOM
NUS-CPU-04Bottom.jpg

NUS-CPU-04 TOP CLEAN
NUS-CPU-04TopCLEAN.jpg

NUS-CPU-04HalfDay.jpg

NUS-CPU-04Day.jpg

NUS-CPU-04DayHalf.jpg

NUS-CPU-042Days.jpg

Right now it's pretty much done, just the Decoupling Caps on the 3.3v line need to be added and then everything gone over a few times for checking.

The PDFs of the 03 and 04 schematics as they are right now are here..

http://www.filedropper.com/n6403-04

The SMT Cap and Inductor values are not marked as that's a whole other thing to get into, I may do that at some point, but it's not on my list right now.

This is being done mainly just to do it. I may see how small I can remake the PCB at some point, though I'd prefer to do that with a CPU-08 or later version as it's already been 'updated' and has less components overall to deal with versus the older version boards.

Last edited:
Thanks, though I've no set plans to push this board version into the PCB phase for right now, as it's an older one and has far more components than the later versions do, the PCB would be larger than what I could do with a newer version N64 board.

If I decide to get into the PCB stage, I'll try and find a couple of 08 or later versions and just redo the schematic, then take it from there. Since those versions have fewer components they're a lot better suited for trying something like that, but I'm just as likely to push this one into a prototype PCB stage as anything else at this point.

@vskid3 - I had a look thru that entire thread, shame it wasn't completed, or if it was he didn't update the thread, and while it was an interesting read, there's really nothing in there that I haven't already thought about doing or implementing on one way or another if I made a smaller board.

One thing I would prefer to do, would be to incorporate a video encoder setup like marshallh is working on so there's a good video output to use, then also maybe just install an EverDrive 64 or similar so there was no messing with carts at all, but those ideas are long down the road from where this is at right now, and plenty of time and $$$ away also. The main thing this was really for was just to see if I could do it and to have a 'complete' schematic for at least one N64.

As I recall there were issues with like, RAM latency or something with kibble's board, or maybe it was something Ozone was doing, I can't remember.

I'm still holding out for a wiimote sized N64 board with the RCP and CPU on top and and ram, pif and video junk on the bottom. I CAN DREAM Dang IT.

SS

You better dig into the CPLD/FPGA then, cause those original chips are larger than the Wii-Mote PCB. ;)

I have the entire schematic pretty much finished now, also doing up the 03 version board, since the changes are pretty minimal between them, and those are the only 2 versions I have here to work with. Just need to go over everything, again.

This is the Power Distribution and DeCoupling Caps for the 03 and 04 version boards.

http://rapidshare.com/files/3070603452/ ... upling.pdf

N6403-04Power-DeCoupling.png

Last edited:
Right now I've no set plans to push this any further than the schematic.

The only reason I've done this much is I've been messing with the N64 controller, and have just become interested in the console now. I've never personally seen the inside of an N64 til last week when I bought 2 that were 'dead', which I had every intention of just tearing apart to have a look at, get board scans and maybe do up a schematic, since searching for one was turning up jak. But, after cleaning the cart slots on the things they both worked fine, so I picked the one that was the worst of the 2 and that was the 04 used as the guinea pig for the schematic here. The other one is an 03, which doesn't have much in the way of differences from the 04, which is why I was able to do that schematic up as well without having to tear it up.

The 03 I'm not planning on tearing up or tinkering on. That one is going to be my 'stock' (and only) N64, all untouched for a point of reference when/if I need it. When/If I get a few more working N64s and Expansion Paks to tear up and tinker with, then it's hard to tell what I might end up trying out.

Whoa, I really needed this schematic, but it got deleted from rapidshare... :confused: Can someone mirror this files on some place? In fact, I need to know what capacitor is the C110. Can someone help me?

The SMT Cap and Inductor values are not marked as that's a whole other thing to get into, I may do that at some point, but it's not on my list right now.

C110 is 1 of the 5 decoupling caps that are on the 5v rail. The N64 will never miss it, but if you want to replace it, use something around 0.1uF, 0603 size and rated for 10v or more.

Thanks a lot. So, my N64 will work even if this cap is missing? Weird, I think that my rgb mod isn't working then, I broke this cap when I was trying to mod it, then I soldered the 5V and the ground on other place on the board, but the console isn't working... Heck, I'll try to solder the cap again and hope it helps. :D Thanks A LOT for your fast response!

Make sure that no bits of the Cap are left over, as they sometimes can cause a short. It will work exactly the same with nothing there at all.

Well, soldered the cap back, I haven't used SMD because I don't own one, used regular cap on the board. Now the N64 works, and works with the RGB Mod! Man, thanks A LOT for your help! :D

Does anyone have the actual schematic files from this? Im interested in picking this up and begin routing out a new motherboard. Im hoping this was done in eagle.

Back