Samsung Galaxy S4 reveal was....underwhelming??

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by Tchay, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

Has anyone else taken a look at the reveal of the new Samsung Galaxy S4? I read up on the specs and new features.

It certainly has nice features, a more powerful CPU, and some eye tracking, but it feels....like a mere upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S3 as appose to an entirely new phone experience.

Granted, I haven't done all my research. I don't know what the jump from the S2 to the S3 was like in terms of innovation. I also haven't looked at benchmark scores for the S3.

But I need a new phone. And I was ganna get an S3. But with the S4 out, I'm curious if its worth the higher price that it will inevitably cost.

2. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

I'm getting a new phone soon since my contract is up, going with the S3.

3. Abyss

Abyss I put the BRO in brony!

My only thing against the Galaxy S series is that I've heard custom ROMS run like flax compared to the Nexus line of products.

4. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

My biggest issue with the Galaxy line, and quite a few of the other new smartphones is that they are so gorram big. Plus the horsepower is useless to me. My Xperia Play with a 1ghz single core does everything I ever need it to. What I want is a phone with just a single core from one of the new lines with a huge battery. Basically I want a Japanese flip phone.

5. DK

DK Donkey>King

I've been running custom roms on my Note since day 1. As long as you find a decent one like Paranoid Android, you shouldn't have any problems with roms.

6. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

Galaxy S2 i9100, TONS of custom roms out there. I've only had two, Resurrection Remix was kind of a piece of flax but Thebyani is nice. I know you can get the popular ones like Paranoid Android and Cyanogenmod and they're fairly well refined.

I kind of agree with samjc3. Five inches is just too big- my 4.3" i9100 is about perfect, I could go maybe 4.5" or 4.7". I would, however, like that with at least a 720p HD screen and a quad core, preferably a Exynos.

EDIT: Yes, the Galaxy line is inferior to Nexii for custom ROMs, but they're better than most others.

7. vskid3

vskid3 Well-Known Member

That's what she said!

I had a Galaxy S/Fascinate and currently have an S3. To be honest, I don't notice much of a speed difference, especially compared to the Fascinate OC'd to 1.4GHz. I can definitely notice the increased RAM, though. Battery life is the only thing I would like to be better.

8. DK

DK Donkey>King

I'm 6"5 with shovel sized hands. Can't comfortably hold a phone much smaller than 5 inches. Hence why I've owned a Dell Streak and now a Note.

9. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

It's not so much the size of hands as the size of pockets. Although there is a component of uselessness as far as the size goes - in my experience I can't do anything better on a 5" than on my 4.3".

10. Abyss

That feel when I can barely even grip a Note II because my hands are that of a middle school girl (no really, my rather petite middle school girlfriend had the same size hands as I). I currently rock the Nexus S and I wish I had a phone with about a 4.5" to 4.8" screen. Anything more and it gets kind of uncomfortable for me.

11. bud

bud DAT ASS

I upgraded from my Xperia Play to the S3 (Only 99 bucks!) and never looked back. Sure it took a little while to get used to the huge screen, but honestly I don't see how I was living without it. Plus it's speedy as Heck. I even tweaked the animation scales to make it "seem" faster. ;)

12. Mako321

Mako321 I like purpale ponies

Screen burn-in

13. marwan22

marwan22 Guest

I want to buy Samsung Galaxy S4, any body advice me about it?

14. Abyss

Have fun with endless Samsung boat and no custom ROMs.

15. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

Isn't that a spambot?

16. Abyss

I honestly didn't even click the link

17. pCubeX

pCubeX Member

I got the Galaxy S4 (M919) on the day of release and I must say, it is the best device I have ever laid my hands on, besides of course some of the newer devices such as Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, and Oppo find 7.I for one hate the Nexus line of devices for the simple fact that the maker of the phone dumbs the hardware down so that it is not as good as there newest flagship. LG did it on the nexus 4 and 5 and the Galaxy Nexus I heard was the same way.

18. jaybrokers12

jaybrokers12 Guest

I am using Samsung Galaxy S4 for past one year but I am not satisfied with its performance.