Sam's PCP2

shipping.PNG

It'll be here on monday. :awesome:

Pics later. Posting from it now. Boots win 7 ultimate in 13 seconds. Its tiny. Like, I knew the measurement, but the fact that I can hold it in my hand quite comfortable is stunning. testing games, etc soon.

Alright. Time for a big post.

Got it today. Installed OS (win 7 32 bit for now) cloned some games over from my desktop.
Boots to desktop in 13 seconds. Steam install, including update downloads took ~5 seconds.

Game performance:
Audiosurf: Yes.
Minecraft: yes.
Mirrors Edge: Runs quite well. Bit choppy, but Im at medium settings, 2x AA, and Im pretty sure my VRAM is only set at 384mb.
Oblivion: Runs great. Its a bit choppy at ultimate with 4x AA, but dropping it to 2x AA or HDR nets a steady 30fps at 800x600.
L4D: yeah.
L4D2: yeah.
Portal 2: In theory.
Mass Effect 1 & 2: In theory. Need to copy savegames. (I cant bear the opening sequences anymore)

Feel free to request games I should test.
I'll be testing more stuff tonight and all that jazz.

Picture time:
Obligatory SoTC size camparison picture:
100_0383.JPG

Pretty much.

100_0384.JPG
100_0385.JPG
100_0388.JPG
100_0390.JPG

Yeah. Its small. As in, really small. Terrifically small. Pairs very nicely with my SSD. Gotta order the screen, do voltage testing and get a more elegant power solution. (using a seperate supply for my SSD's 5v line because I dont have the correct headers.)

Overall, I am very pleased.

Oh god I want one so bad. What are the specs on this thing? Is this the one from your first post in this thread? For some reason I thought you went with something else. A third option. Or something. Eh, maybe I'm just confused.

So jealous.

Its the nano ITX e-350. dual core 1.6ghz, HD 6310 graphics. 4gb of ddr3 1333 (32 bit windows at the moment, sadly.)

Im pretty sure the guys I got it from will be selling as 'motherboard only' as opposed to their standard finished products, so if you do want one, its probably possible. I will make sure and let you folks know.

I be working on establishing battery needs. Trying 7.4v and seeing what happens. (12v normal, but nothing that uses 12v, except the fan is onboard, near as I know)

Is it from these guys? Because they're already selling them.

Dang. I wish those boards were around last year when I was buying my stuff. I'd try selling the one I finished, but I don't think anyone would buy it. Not even for cost. No one is interested in it in general. Hackaday and Engadget never even posted it. You'd think it'd be something they'd have interest in. I guess it's just too damned big. And the lack of built-in battery doesn't help. Blah.

Er, sorry for crapping up your thread. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Not even close. Thats mini itx, same size as you used. Nano ITX is 5x5".

Also, I dont think its that nobody wants it, its more that nobody knows about it. Battery doesnt help, of course, but, you know.

Anywho, crap it up all you want. Its on topic enough for me, and you are my PCp buddy! :awesome:

Durrrr. I don't know how I missed that (the size thing). I did find the place you got it (and your posts even, heh). Hope they sell them eventually. Apparently they're already selling it industrially. In large quantities. I suppose I could email them like you did, but eh. I don't have the money. And they want quite a bit for it. Which I suppose is understandable. But, man.

Edit: Oh, and, I could still put the batteries in, in order to sell it. But I'd be sort of ripping off whoever bought it. Because it would literally be too heavy to use. Unless you played with it sitting on the edge of a table or something to hold it. Or you're a "pro" wrestler with arms the size of tree trunks from steroids.

Ordered screen last night. Shipped today via Ups express saver. Should have it within the week.

Also, anyone know if theres a way to set the allocated video RAM on an e-350? I didnt really look at the bios, but I didt see anything in my cursory overview. I'll be checking when I get home and all, but a utility would be nice. Can it be done in catalyst, mayhaps?

What's the specs on your screen?

As far as the video ram allocation thing, I can't help you with that specific model. Or with ATI in general (I don't think I've ever had one of their cards, ever). But I will say that bios makers seem to enjoy putting settings under the most vague names they can think of. Or at least that's the way it seems. The option could be there somewhere. Try looking for the word anything with the word "buffer" or "framebuffer" for instance. It's actually the incorrect use of the word, but it's sort of become slang with those people or something.

I have only seen one BIOS where everything was extremely straight forward and awesome. It was the one on the PC I built for my mother. It was an ASRock motherboard. Not sure who made the bios though. I suppose it's possible that they did.

Figured out the RAM allocation. Buried under magic something or other. I can set it to 32mb through 2gb, in doubling increments. Went ahead and set it at 2, just because, but I'll probably be rolling back to 1, and overclocking the graphics core (Im pretty sure I can). Increasing the RAM definitely increased performance. Mirrors edge runs very smooth at medium with 2x AA at 800x600.

Tested voltage, and it looks like ~8.5 is as low as I can go, so 11.1v batteries are called for. Im looking for around 5 amps. Any recommendations? I thnk the 5amp batteryspace ones are too big for my design. I'll lay it all out and get back on that.

Also, they are selling em board only.

Edit: Screen is a Good lcd one (dalian). 5", with touchscreen. 640x480.

So yeah. Got my wireless card installed (half height mini pcie card, b/g/n), havent bothered with installing drivers or antenna yet, though.

Reckon I got my battery setup figured out, so if anyone has an extra 11.1v charger + protection circuit, let me know.

Mass effect 1 runs. (medium high, 640x480, 40fps) This mean it is success. Nothing else really matters. ME2 will run, of course.

Ram is all sorted. Screen confirmed to arrive friday. Think Ive decided what to do for controls. Got my board much more manageable. Overall, this is forging ahead at a good clip. Now I go to bed.

Screen came a day early. Picture quality is amazing, touchscreen works quite well. However, things that are pure white turn pinkish. Its perfect right up until pure white, and then it jumps to pink, with fuzzy edges. It strikes me as interference (my wires are long and unshielded), but it seems odd that it would happen on a singular color. Everything else looks great.

samjc3 said:
Screen came a day early. Picture quality is amazing, touchscreen works quite well. However, things that are pure white turn pinkish. Its perfect right up until pure white, and then it jumps to pink, with fuzzy edges. It strikes me as interference (my wires are long and unshielded), but it seems odd that it would happen on a singular color. Everything else looks great.
White is all the colors, so depending on how the signal works, its either the max or minimum signal. Probably interference, thats just my idea as to why it happens with white. Are you using VGA or DVI/HDMI?

Back