Rumble pack... Without batteries?

Mr. Hooker said:
and when someone present's you with the fact's (or opinion) don't assume they have to be wrong just because there new here, when you have nothing proving your right, and the fact's you present are full of hole's, you only compromise any since of reliability someone might of had in your opinion's.

I am assuming you are wrong because a) I know what I'm talking about and b) you can't spell or use proper grammar, yet are trying to argue about advanced technical principles.

The length/thickness of the controller cord is adequate for this application. If the cord was, say, 500 feet long, we might start to talk. 20 gauge copper has a resistance of ~10 ohms per 1000 feet. Scale that down to 5ft, and we have a resistance of only .05 Ohms. Negligible.

AND, the argument that this motor runs on 3V while Xbox controllers run at 5V is also not relevant. If anything, that means their cord draws MORE power that we'd be pulling from the N64.

Each individual wire in the N64 controller is more like 30 gauge or so. But that is still good for up to 330mA IIRC.

Bibin said:
just try it

Sorry, I just assume that has happened already before applying my "solution"...

I'm thinking that the actual console may limit the power going to the controller(I will admit I don't know much about the N64 to back this up), so if you just kinda... take away that limit... than your "Maybe not enough power for satisfying rumble" problem could go away.

But you didn't really need me to say that, now did you?

hailrazer said:
Each individual wire in the N64 controller is more like 30 gauge or so. But that is still good for up to 330mA IIRC.
26 I believe. The controller draws a neglible amount to begin with, and two AAs is what, 250 mah at the most? Running the rumble pack off of the n64 isn't going to affect anything. Its actually pretty common. I read a guide on it somewhere a couple years back.

ttsgeb said:
I'm thinking that the actual console may limit the power going to the controller

There you go, NOW somebody is saying something rational.

Wire thickness is negligible. Can we please discard discussion of that?

I'm 98% sure it doesn't limit how much the controller can draw. With the n64, the 3.3v line is the same all over the board.

bud said:
I'm 98% sure it doesn't limit how much the controller can draw. With the n64, the 3.3v line is the same all over the board.
Probably. If I recall it's just the normal 3.3V line.

Wire thickness also does not apply here - it is negligible.

This is one of those things that one should just try.

Bibin is right. I cant think of a time where anything has been fried from not enough voltage or amps.

Ok so obviously this isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Post constructively, or move along, nothing else to see here.

wired in first party n64 rumble pack, doing the Zelda ooc hammer test, it's almost the same feel as useing the 2 AAA battery's, ALMOST!. I soldered the plus wire on a switch & though the hole that connects pen's 15 and 31, thanks ProgMetalMan for that handy list, the negative lead was already on ground. remove batterys, flip switch on and run's at about 90%, flip switch off and use batterys run's at 100%, use both = 150% +/- that's all based on how it fill's in hand. note I was getting 3.2 volts to the controller, and 2.9 volt's to the rumbler from controller power. I will admit the power from the line was unaffected, any power loss must be from the first party controller and rumble pack circuit's them self's already useing part of the power.

you can bypass the switch, wire from the positive battery line to pin 15 or 31. I used it so I could test the feel by switching back and forth.

edit: pic was to big, http://imgur.com/8ETz8

edit 2: added feature, http://imgur.com/Yblql
cut the power trace on the pcb, (between the two green wire's) now it switch's between battery power (green wire's) and controller power (red wire's)

Ok folks let me explain this so those who are new to modding can under stand...no disrespect intended ..just want to help new modders...first off 3.3 volts will not matter if the amps are not there..when you run into an issue with low amps you can get a motor from things like 1.5v toys and swap the motor out with a resistor in line to adjust the speed where you want it...there are voltage calcuators online for free that will help..i am one who mods these for people everyday i am curently modding a preformance tremorpack that has a high low switch and runs on 2 aa batterys..when i get done i will walk anyone through those also...modders did not start at the top for all of you on here who have been puting down others we all learned and modded while learning so get over it.......

Back