robm's PS3p

robm

Billy Mays
Staff member
Well, I got like five extra PS3s, so I guess it's time to tear one apart and see what we can do with it.

Project goals:

Features:
10" screen (motherboard is huge.)
Internal wired controller (prevent bluetooth/recharging issues down the road)
Accessible USB ports for attachment of keyboard/mouse
Internal rechargeable battery

Issues to be resolved:
Ok, so the output on the power supply has an amp rating of something like 21 amps on the 12v line. Just the fan is 2 amps; the hard drive probably takes close to that itself. The Bluray drive will also take close to 2 amps as well. Obviously, battery selection will be an issue; will likely need to do something like a laptop battery.

Size/weight/noise. There isn't likely a whole lot to be done size-wise, but the heatsinks on this are freaking gigantic. I may be
able to use smaller heatsinks and fans to get around this somewhat.

Anyway, here's the donor board:
12645269_10208828442614265_3821477848828114269_n.jpg

Sorry for the FB link, will update once my photobucket quits being a pain in the ass.

Have you considered going for a SSD instead of a HDD? If you're planning to run this off of batteries, the power savings alone could make it the cheaper option.

*note: IDK how picky the PS3 is about drives

Apparently, the PS3 has a SATA2 bus, which isn't great for SSD functionality-wise, but who cares... apparently it works, power consumption numbers vary but apparently can be significantly lower than a conventional HD. Good idea ttsgeb, I'll be using one for this project, thanks!

Back