Removing top screen of 3DS XL and DSi

zeello

I've recently decided to remove the top screen of my 3DS XL. I'd love if someone could simply do it for me, but I've had no luck there so I'm considering doing it myself. In that case I've decided to practice by doing my DSi first.

Anyway I found this board because of this vid:

The vid maker also provided a link to this image:
6752733273_ed94be4f55.jpg

My first question is, what is the bulb I need to attach there? And where can I get one?
For that matter I have a 0 size philips screwdriver and a small box cutter. Do I need anything else?

I fail to see the point in doing this to a 3ds or DSi as neither of those can play gameboy games. For most DS games half the experience will be lost without the top screen.
If your DSi top screen is busted there's replacements on ebay for 10 USD with free shipping. I suggest that you get one of those, repair your DSi, sell it and buy a broken DSlite that you do this mod on.
I don't don't think you need a LED, you can use a resistor ;)

WatsuG said:
I fail to see the point in doing this to a 3ds or DSi as neither of those can play gameboy games. For most DS games half the experience will be lost without the top screen.
If your DSi top screen is busted there's replacements on ebay for 10 USD with free shipping. I suggest that you get one of those, repair your DSi, sell it and buy a broken DSlite that you do this mod on.
wB7sf.gif

WatsuG said:
Thanks. Where can I get one of those? And how much do they cost?

Though before buying it I suppose I will take apart the system first, see if it works if I unattach the screen, and then figure out whether a resistor will help, and where to attach it.

Resistors are cheap, like a dollar for a pack. But you will need the right value and i don't know that value. It's not even sure the dsi work the same way as dslite.

What do you plan using it for when you are done? :)

I finally got around to doing this. I successfully dismantled my DSi and sure enough it doesn't work without a top screen. (but it works without camera) I reconnected the top screen and got it working again so this means I did not break anything.

For reference here are pics of the DSi's boards:
DSi motherboard
DSi motherboard other side
DS dpad powerboard (is it just me or is the inside of DSi completely different from DS Lite)
DSi dpad powerboard other side (nothing there..)

From what I understand, if I take an LED bulb or a resistor and solder it onto certain points on the motherboard, that will get the system working without a top screen. This is how the DS Lite mod is accomplished. However the points used on the DS Lite mode are LEDA2 and LEDC2 but these points do not seem to exist on the DSi.

6752733273_ed94be4f55.jpg

Can someone explain to me, perhaps, why LEDA2 and LEDC2 are used on DS Lite mode and not just any random two points. What exactly am I looking for when choosing which points to use? In the abscence of any LEDA/C points I have no clue how to proceed. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I encountered a major breakthrough. I got the DSi to work without top screen for about 10 seconds. Apparently, putting a resistor on the top screen ribbon cable works. (I didn't solder yet... I held the resistor in place with my fingers!)

This is all thanks to rs1n's youtube video in which he uses such a method for the DS Lite. (turns out DSi's top screen ribbon cable is remarkably similar)

However, I might have preferred to put a resistor on the motherboard, in order to save space. (This way I wouldn't have to squeeze the top screen ribbon cable inside the casing.) But, aside from not knowing what points to solder to, this method actually poses imminent risk to my motherboard, since if I solder wrong, I ruin my motherboard. (and keep in mind I have never soldered before) So, maybe, I must go with the ribbon cable method... Although I would still like to know which motherboard points would work, out of curiosity.

Also, for that matter, maybe I should cut off the left/right speaker solder points using a box cutter. I already trimmed the ribbon cable using a box cutter, might as well trim it even more. I wouldn't want those speaker solder points coming in contact with the motherboard.

Back