RCP WHAT!@?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashen, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Ashen

Ashen GameCube Révolutionary

Please note: Duplication in part or in whole of any part of this guide, its contents or visual references is strictly prohibited without the express consent of the author.

So I came up with this idea a while back after not having much luck at all with RCP relocation. My new method was also further tested at MRTN and since then I've also taken it a step further. Pretty much makes RCP relocation a thing of the past unless you really need that extra 2-4mm. Its almost so simple its silly, and I really can't believe no one's ever thought of it until now.

See what I did thar?

180 Degree Bend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

90 Degree Bend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both of the above boards work perfectly, SS also has a board that we bent to 90 degrees at MRTN. The only thing you need to reconnect are the 3.3v traces to the cart slot.

Trim your board how you want it. Score the back of the PCB with a razor blade until you're roughly halfway through (I made 10-15 passes with my blade putting moderate pressure on the board as I swiped) and then CAREFULLY snap the remaining PCB forward and bend to your desired position. Epoxy/Hot glue it in place.

Enjoy.

2. βeta

βeta ModRetro Legend

I won't be impressed until you do 360º.

3. Ashen

Pfft, Jolly African American please. Even YOU have to admit this flax is sexy.

4. bud

bud DAT ASS

Bud, Ashen, and SS have all done this. That means this method is legit as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

5. βeta

βeta ModRetro Legend

How close can you get to the RCP? lose the 7805 and those two caps.

6. Ashen

The bent back PCB is pretty Dang close to the RCP in the above pics. Maybe 1mm to spare? Pretty much as small as it gets with this method.

7. hailrazer

hailrazer Frequent Poster

How many bends do you get before it breaks?

I'm guessing to be safe just one :)

8. Ashen

Hehe, yea. Its one of those things where you either do it right the first time or prepare to RCP wire it anyway.

9. gman

gman Well-Known Member

Very nice! How did you figure out how to cut off all those caps on the right side of the board?

10. Ashen

Bud showed me. He is awesome.

11. W00gala

W00gala Active Member

Hmmmm Good idea but I would rather RCP though.

12. bud

bud DAT ASS

Good luck with that. I've RCP wired several times, and I'd rather use this method than waste my time soldering to IC legs.

13. W00gala

W00gala Active Member

True, but it looks like it could snap off at any time
    But what do I know I guess I've never tried this method.

14. bud

bud DAT ASS

Epoxy, bro. Put it in the bend and it's never going to move. If you're truly worried it's going to snap reinforce the topside too.

15. W00gala

W00gala Active Member

That would prevent it from breaking but since people always want
    the smallest portable and want to gain that extra 1mm RCP is the way to go.
    But this is a great idea for people with bad soldering skills or if you dont need the extra 1mm.

Thanks Ashen!

16. ShockSlayer

ShockSlayer Probably SS

Fun fact: I had an amazing RCP wiring job, couldn't get
    the 64 drive to work(all other games did.)
    Board bend? Works perfectly.
    And I've got amazing soldering skills, I *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing tinned the RCP pins.

People won't mind that completely unnoticeable bit of extra space
    if it means their 64drive will work.
    Plus it can be bent closer, so the only way this wouldn't be
    practical is if you are also rewiring all the traces from the CPU to the RCP.

SS

17. Diminuendo

Diminuendo Well-Known Member

I don't think you know what a Millimeter is. A millimeter is a 1/25 of an inch.

18. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

If the 64drive doesn't work with RCP, then the point of a RCP is nil imo. Why make a super small portable with less functionality?

19. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

Most people don't seem to mind the lack of functionality found in smartphone emulators judging by the number of HEAY Y NOT JUS BAI A PSP comments.

20. βeta

βeta ModRetro Legend

No, I mean having the bending line closer to the RCP. If you are just doing 90 degrees, and you bend close enough to the RCP, the cart can go in normally without hitting anything on the board, and you would have room for a sheetsink.