RCP Cartridge relocation info! Post pics of your games!!!

LOCtronicz

Formerly known as zenloc
Oke this post was first started because I wanted to see if the 12v pins were really used for games and guess what it isn't! And even better there are many other pins which are not used either!!

288cmex.jpg

Hope you don't mind me using your pic bentomo... :rolleyes:

On all of these below mentioned games the pins 13, 14, 24, 38, 39, 44, 45, 46, and pin 49 are not used!!

mario golf
wf war zone
mortal kombat mythologies sub-zero
ms pacman maze madness
armorines
hydro thunder
quake
bomberman
f-1 world grand prix II
f-1 racing
donkey kong
mario 64
super smash brother melee
roadsters
007 the world is not enough

Also ground is all connected together meaning you could just use 1 wire.

We have yet to confirm but it seems that the cartridge connector can be relocated with much less wires.

I'll be posting any new games on this first page.

Have any games!! open them up and check which pins aren't used and post a pic!

Re: RCP Cartridge relocation info needed....

The 3.3 volt pins may just be to bridge the connection. Might be too thin if it tries to go in between the pins. Might be the same for the 12v line but there's a lot less power going through it

yeah the 3,3v pins I already briged that all work's also grouped all the ground together that works too. but just don't know about that 12v line. It would be a pity if I didn't connect the right voltage to it that certain games wouldn't work... Have you seen any game (from the inside) hat actually uses the 12v line?

Gonna crack open a couple of games tomorrow to check if they are going somewhere. If anybody has any info please post.. :)

EDIT: sorry :dahroll: I didn't eactly get what you said at first but now I do :p that makes sense though. but it's weird that it also works if nothing is connected.

Well why is it that you don't want to connect the wires. I could see why you'd want to know but you can take the safe route and solder the extra 4 wires to the cartridge slot. You don't want to build the whole thing and find out that certain games don't work without the 12v and 3.3v line. I'd like to know too though if it's not necessary though.

The thing is I plan on powering the n64 off a single 3.7v litium battery. I would then use a little step up for the 5v video line. But if 5v is not enough for the 12v cartridge line I would have to rethink my options.

Couldn't you have a look in your game collection and see of the 12v pins are used? I'll also do the same for all the games that I have. Then maby we can make a list to see which games use it and which games don't maby also find out at which voltage if used.

I think getting the n64 small as possible you would also have to reduce the voltage that is needed to power it. Ofcourse still keep it 100% functional

I don't even understand what this thread is about, but that last post just blew my mind. One 3.7v battery? I didn't even know that step-UP regulators existed.

They do but they're rarely worth it. They waste a ton of power. But if you can run if off 3.7 volts you can double the time you can use the system by hooking the batteries in parallel.

Zen, what games have you already tested? And what games are you testing? We can figure out which ones don't use the 12v line. How can you tell though, is the no connection to those pins?

well, if it makes it easier, don't forget that the 12v goes directly into a 7805.

Just wire up the voltage to the 7805 and the fuse on the back for 3.3v. Should be fine. As far as the cart slot thing, wire it up anyway. You said it worked with or without it, so what's the harm?

Edit- Micro 64??!? That's cool and stuff, but the name's mine! :p

the N32² or just N32, since its half the size of a regular portable n64.

oh didn't know micro64 was already taken.... I though names like micro64 mini 64 portable 64 alls those are pretty standard. Didn't think anyone would mind. Someone else is also making a n64mini.....

But if you really don't like me using it I'll think of another name for it ;)

I've tested all my games which I have:

Donkey Kong64
Mario64
Super Smash Brother
Roadsters
F1 Racing
007 the world is not enough

All of them work perfectly without the 12v line connected :confused:

Just to clarify for people who don't understand what I want to do:

3.3v. runs most of the system
12v goes to the sound chip which draws a really low amperage
12v goes into the 7805 regulator and outputs 5v for the video to work

Cartridge uses 4pins for 3.3v and 2pins for 12v. The thing is because the 12v and 5v line draw is really low a small stepup is actually very practical as it won't suck allot of power if powered from the 3.3v line.

Gonna do a couple of test regarding the audio chip anv video 5v line. Going to find out what the absolute lowest voltage is to make it work correctly.

EDIT: did some tests. Audio chip works at 5v. The regulator that outputs 5v can be used to power the audio chip aswell. Well the 12v line works with any voltage below 12v so I'll just connect 5v to it. All I need to do is get a little step up from 3.7v to 5v. And I believe I have found just that.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... 448_DS.pdf

I think that should be enough to power the video and audio chips. When I get the parts I'll post a little schematic.

If the 12V line works with 3.7v i'd connect that rather than 5V because the step up would just rob you of extra amperage

TI has a step-up module, PTN04050 I think. Not sure if it's what you want, but it's really easy to use.

Yeah that looks interesting. Have to see if it can handle the amp draw of the video and audio chip. But don't think it'll be a problem. Times to get some samples :p

Yeah think I'll be connecting the 3.3v line to it. I'll just bridge it to the other 3.3v connections.

Back