Raspberry Pi 2

Bush

sweet justice
Don't know if anyone noticed, but the model 2 of rbpi was released just the other day. The new model is the same as the old, but now the cpu is a quad core at 900mhz (A7 core) and there is 1gb of RAM to play with. Best of all, it's still 35 bucks. No idea if they are still in stock on element14, but I ordered one and will update once it arrives.

I wish I had done more with my original model B. It's REALLY handy for playing movies though. I watched the despecialized Star Wars trilogy on my TV in full HD using XBMC and just yesterday I played Star Wars on my old CRT in the back room to keep children occupied during the Superbowl.
It also served as a webserver temporarily which was pretty neat.
Unfortunately I struggled to do much else, most recently get an Atari 5200 (well, 400/800) emu running on it correctly.

ProgMetalMan said:
I wish I had done more.
The new ModRetro tagline.

I'm not terribly excited about the new version. I was viewing it as more of an educational thing than actual modern hardware, so I saw it as a good thing that it wasn't getting updated.

I think it's pretty swell that MS has committed to putting Win10 (Wen?) on there, though. That ought to be interesting.

ttsgeb said:
I think it's pretty swell that MS has committed to putting Win10 (Wen?) on there, though. That ought to be interesting.

This would be perfect for me as I'm looking for something running windows to possibly run the proprietary printing program for my 3D printer as an "In House Controls" of sorts so I wouldn't have to lug over my laptop and tie it up every time I want to print something. Will be interesting to see if it will be Full Windows or an RT-like setup. The possibility of Full Windows on a Cell Phone will be closer than ever as well.

wallydawg said:
ttsgeb said:

This would be perfect for me as I'm looking for something running windows to possibly run the proprietary printing program for my 3D printer as an "In House Controls" of sorts so I wouldn't have to lug over my laptop and tie it up every time I want to print something. Will be interesting to see if it will be Full Windows or an RT-like setup. The possibility of Full Windows on a Cell Phone will be closer than ever as well.
Considering this is on an ARM processor, it will only be able to run applications made for that architecture, rather than your typical x86 windows programs.

Are there any architecture compatibility features coming with Win10? If they are claiming this will be different than RT was, then they need either some sort of WINEish/emulator-type software for ARM compatibility with x86/x64 or a suite designed to easily port from one to the other. If they want it to succeed on ARM at all, it needs to be able to run actual Windows applications, not just a limited helping of metro apps like RT.

I remember reading somewhere Windows 10 on this was only gonna be command line, which is a lot less impressive if true.

ttsgeb said:
Command line only Windows? WHAT? Now I'm excited.
MSDOS 10 FTW
Siggied.
Bush said:
Are there any architecture compatibility features coming with Win10? If they are claiming this will be different than RT was, then they need either some sort of WINEish/emulator-type software for ARM compatibility with x86/x64 or a suite designed to easily port from one to the other. If they want it to succeed on ARM at all, it needs to be able to run actual Windows applications, not just a limited helping of metro apps like RT.
The Pi (well, at least mine) maxes out its processors for ten seconds while starting a native, minimalistic web browser. I dunno if x86 emulation would even be useful for running 3D Pinball: Space Cadet.
(On that note, let's set the mood)

WAIT WAIT WAIT
That had a sound track?
Holy Heck, my entire life has been a lie.

Yes, although the MIDI voices on the original release (the commercial title long before XP) are far less grating.

lol. I got my pi 2 the day of launch and it JUST came a couple of weeks ago... :wtf: Right now, I don't even think any are in stock. (unless you count inflated pricing on ebay ;) )

Back