Questions on PS2 Portable

Discussion in 'PlayStation 2' started by Jonio75, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

Okay, to start off I'm completely new the the portablizing scene. I had the brilliant idea of trying to build one last year, but got all the wrong parts, and couldn't figure out where to start. However, i would now like to take a more organized approach, and do everything right. with that comes some questions. Here are my main concerns :

Batteries
    I know the question may be getting tiring but I really want to have this clear for me. I want to keep the disc drive in my portable, and I want to be absolutely positive before I buy batteries, mostly because they're expensive. What kind of batteries should I use? I was thinking of using a lithium polymer battery, (unless lithium ion is THAT much better) but I'm not sure if I should use a 7.4 volt or an 11.1 volt battery, and whichever one i choose, I would like to get at least 4 hours of gameplay off of them.

Screen (output)
    I don't need any help choosing a screen, but what I really need is help with the best video quality. I know I've heard some stuff about people taking a VGA out right off the motherboard, and I am unsure on how to go about doing so.

Case paint
    I plan on vacuum forming a case, however I don't know how to paint it. I would like to get the same color as the silver dualshocks, but most importantly I would like to get that same texture. I have the least experience here, so you're gonna have to be really specific

Thanks in advance!

2. gman

gman Well-Known Member

3. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

ttsgeb likes this.
  4. MasterNate

MasterNate Member

If you are looking to keep it simple, keeping the disc drive is the opposite of that. You will make it so much harder for yourself trying to keep the disc drive on. And in order to get 4 hours of battery life with a big clunky disc drive will be a problem. You would need a lot of batteries to get that.

5. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

Well, keeping the disc drive is honestly the main reason I want to build this portable, if I remove it I might add well buy a laptop and run an emulator. I want my portable to be quite similar to ashen's, but I can't find his worklog for it. In his video with rated E mods, her said he used an 11.1 volt lithium ion battery pack, but I wasnt sure if I could get away with using 7.4 volts. My main question was about the screen though. What kind of input should I use?

6. MasterNate

MasterNate Member

Vga is definitely the way to go. But you would need to find a screen that accepts interlaced vga which is pretty hard to find. And you should be able to use a 7.4v pack, but you can use a 11.1v pack if you want.

And are you 3d printing a case? Or frankencasing?

7. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

I'm vacuum forming a case, I actually just finished cutting up my controller.
    I think I might go with an 11.1 volt, just to be safe.

Doesn't VGA have compatibility issues? I thought some games didn't support it. Also what is the difference between interlaced VGA and the alternative?

8. gman

gman Well-Known Member

The guide is still relevant for any PS2 modding if you are using a disk drive or not. Powering the console, getting VGA output, controllers, memory cards, etc is all outlined in the guide even if you aren't trimming.

VGA will work on all PS2 games. Interlaced, or 480i output will have a 15k Hz horizontal sync output and Progressive, or 480p, will have a 30k Hz sync. The progressive refreshes the screen faster than interlaced. Progressive video output is only compatible with a select few games on the PS2. Unfortunately 30k Hz sync is standard for VGA so most monitors will not work with interlaced video. The only way to know if it will work with your screen is to buy it and try it essentially.

You can use 7.4v even if you want to use the disc drive although it might be worth it to replace the 5v linear regulator with a more efficient switching regulator. I don't think the PS2 will work with 11.1v input so if you go that route, you need a quite beefy high output step down regulator to 7.4v.

9. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

Thanks! I really appreciate all the help!
    I don't think I have any more questions, but I would love it if someone can point me in the direction of a nice interlaced VGA screen.

Edit: I actually do have one more question

If I use 6 3.7 lithium ion cells, and output 7.4 volts (in hopes to get some longer battery life), the extra amperage is not going to fry my PS2, is it?
    And I also need some help finding a good switching regulator that has a really low dropout voltage to get the most out of my batteries

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. MasterNate

MasterNate Member

The console will only take the current it needs, so nothing will fry it.

And that last sentence makes no sense. Your batteries would be hooked straight up to a protection circuit and the ps2. You wont need a voltage regulator for that. And dropping the voltage like that on batteries destroys them real quick. You just want a really nice protection circuit.

11. GingerOfOz

GingerOfOz Member

PTH08080 are generally the go to for basic switching regs.

12. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

Sorry, i meant a 5 volt regulator so i can run the ps2 at a lower voltage

13. gman

gman Well-Known Member

14. Jonio75

Jonio75 Member

thanks for all the help guys! I think im going to start my worklog today, even though it might be a little while before the stuff i order comes in.