[Question] Best way to put logo's on cases

Discussion in 'Cases' started by DrWho198, Jul 16, 2013.

1. DrWho198

DrWho198 Member

I'm working on a Gamegear TV modded console and In my concept art I used the gamegear logo on the case (bottom left):
    [​IMG]
    WARNING: CONCEPT ART!

It's just concept art, so the final mod might look a little different. For example I scrapped the embossed SEGA logo. Although it looks nice and I had an idea how to do it, I was just too eager in going on with the mod instead of waiting for the right materials and doing the needed testing.

But one thing I really want on my case is the logo. Best case scenario I want it 'Printed' or painted on the case. I do have a steady hand since I'm an artist, but the idea of just painting it on there with a brush is just too imperfect.

I really could use advice from other people's experience on what they tried and what looks most authentic. Don't be afraid to suggest things that I didn't want to do at first. It's my first mod so I have no experience what so ever and could be proven wrong!

Some more information about my mod;

Done so far:
    • - Used a broken GG that didn't even start up
      - Fixed it by replacing ALL caps, including the ones on the power board
      - Removed the screen and turned the cart slot
      - Added the TV out mod (originaly the DIY mod but afterwards replaced it with the superior boards sold by Tim Worthington)
      - Added an original Genesis TV-out plug, complete with composite out, RGB out, mono and stereo audio.
      - moved the power jack to the back
      - Added 2 controller ports to the front.
      - moded the case using; car putty, plastic strips(for sharp straight edges and sturdiness) and frankencased arcade button)

Still to do:
    • - Some more case fiddling; filling holes, maybe change some of the curves
      - Remove the original power button use the arcade button as power button; still need to make a circuit using a flipflop so I can turn it on/off with a push button.
      - Mod SMS controllers and console for the start button.
      - paint it =)

[​IMG]

2. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

You could use stencils and spray-paint or you could try decals.

3. DrWho198

DrWho198 Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

The stenciling is an option but that would leave me to either let the stencil be cut on a professional plotter or to cut the stencil by hand. Cutting it by hand might not give the quality that I want since I wish it to look near perfect.

The decal option is an interesting one. I thought about using stickers before, but that would be noticeable and again wouldn't give the effect that I prefer. But when you mentioned the decal option I went ahead and checked it out on the net. I never knew you could make your own waterslide decals.

I really like this option but I have just the issue that it will be placed on a dark background. Because of this it needs white backing behind the decal. I've read that this can be achieved by using an ALPS printer. But it's not needed to mention that I don't have one. There is another option of making dry decals but that is a bit expensive. I can't find a service for printing decals near me at the moment(Belgium).

Any other suggestions? Or maybe a good idea how to fix the transparency issue?

4. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

Those are the only ideas I've got. But don't count out the stenciling so quickly. Ishmael has done some really beautiful paint jobs with his custom stencils.

5. DrWho198

DrWho198 Member

I'll have to put this project on hold for now. I'm going away for 2 weeks and I'm unsure when I'll be able to pick things up again.

Thank you for your help and if anyone else has another idea then please let me know.
    Grossaffe you really have been great help already. Thank you!

I'll let you know when I continue.

6. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

I would print the logo on the back of some glossy photo paper, cut it out loosely, spray glue on the glossy side and stick that to the case where you want it.
    Then, I would grab a fine engraving tip for my dremmel, put my depth guide on it, and trace the stencil freehand.
    Finally, I would pull the paper off and clean off the adhesive.
    if it didn't come out clean enough, sharpen a pencil/dowel and wrap the tip in fine sandpaper, run it through the grooves.

If it's. *really* bad, apply bondo, try again.

7. DrWho198

DrWho198 Member

@ttsgeb:
    Nice idea, I might try it if I have the time materials and courage. I just got back from Spain and have a lot of other stuff to do. Getting one of my Android tablets back to life, making an adaptor for my PC Engine, making a battery pack for my nomad etc...

Too many things for so little time.

I'll keep you posted once I get started again.