PSP phat green LED turns on. Nothing else.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ehabcharek, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

My friend's PSP has some weird problem. when I turn it on, the green LED stays on, but nothing happens. No audio, and no picture. The backlight doesn't even turn on. I don't think it's a brick because the LED doesn't turn off after a few seconds. Also, it doesn't sleep. I could only shut it down completely (by holding the power slider up for a few seconds)
    HELP!

2. Miceeno

Miceeno Member

So it was working and now it its not? Or did you guys dig it out of a box in the back of his closet and tried turning it on? Does it have custom firmware installed?

First thing I'd do is remove the battery then plug the power in and finally power it on without the battery in.

Theres an eeprom on the battery that when a certian value is written to it, or a pin is lifted it will make the Psp behave as described. This is called a Pandora Battery and it basically puts the system in service mode. The last custom firmware I tried (years ago) had the ability to change the battery into a Pandora Battery right from the Select Menu on the home XMB screen. So it could have been made on accident.

Otherwise get a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick and unbrick it. Most bricks are recoverable unless you depower it during a flash.

3. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

according to what he said, he was using it when it suddenly turned off. It didn't display the battery low image flashing before it turned off. After that, the PSP had the problem described above. He said he had it for more than a year, and it DID have custom firmware. He doesn't know the version, however. The first thing I tried after he handed it to me was try a different battery. Same thing. Tried what you said about not having the battery in, still nothing.
    I found a bunch pandora batteries from DX.com. Most of which are for the 2000 model. There is one for 1000 though. Does it matter? I thought they all fit..? and they all have a button on them that switches the mode from pandora to normal. How can I make a magic memory stick? I looked online but all I could find was for version 5.00. Is there one for 6.60? Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just not that familiar with the PSP software XP

4. Miceeno

Miceeno Member

I can't remember all the requirements because it's been a while. I do know that when you make a Magic Memory Stick it will format and wipe the current one so back it up. There's a lot of different variations of the Total Newbie Installer out there to make the Magic Memory Stick. There's also a manual method that's a lot more difficult and was the only option "back in my day".

As for the battery, it's easiest to just make the Pandora Battery with another custom firmware enabled PSP, but you can just lift a pin on the eeprom on the battery. I'm sure the ones with the switch you are talking about will work. There's only one battery that fits the Phat PSP (1000).

As for the firmware I don't think it matters. It used to be that you would make the Magic Memory Stick and the Pandora Battery to install firmware version 1.50. From there you patch and update in a special order to maintain the ability to run none signed code up to 3.50, and then finally you could install Dark AleX's M33 Custom Firmware. The last PSP I installed custom firmware on I used the Total Newbie Installer, just to try it, and it installed the latest version of custom firmware (without going to 1.50 and then the process I mentioned). I don't know about any firmware's beyond 5.00m33 because I only installed DAX's firmwares.

5. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

are you sure it's a brick though? Because the LED isn't turning off

6. Miceeno

Miceeno Member

Whether or not its a brick the Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick will do no harm. It will either work and life will be filled unicorns and rainbows or it wont and you can definitively rule out a fixable brick.

One more think to try, turn it on while holding the right trigger. Dark AleXs custom firmwares have a recovery menu and seeing as other people have continued his work, all custom firmware should have one. If you can get to that I'd check to see if the PSP is overclocked or underclocked. The stock speed is 233mhz but I've read that the chip was designed to run at 333mhz. Sony ran it at a slower speed to have a competitive battery life with the NDS. So if its anything different than those speeds I'd set it to 233mhz. There's a chance that it could be running at 33mhz and taking forever to boot. Or its set above 233mhz and the heatsink (if there is one) couldn't dissipate the heat and it fried.

If a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick doesn't fix it and you can't get to the recovery menu I'd say its hardware failure of some sort. If you can get to the recovery menu and the clock speed is at stock you better start searching the internet for someone's backups of the flash0 and maybe the flash1.

7. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

I just tried the right trigger trick, and it didn't work. Tried other buttons, then combinations, and still nothing. So I guess the only option I have left is the pandora battery. I'll buy the one I mentioned before, because I don't want to risk braking the only battery that I have (I read the mod only works on official PSP batteries and mine is a third party battery)

I'll tell you the results when I get the package!

8. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

ok, I got the stuff a while back but I only tried them out today.
    as far as I know, I did the MMS part correctly, so it should work properly. However, when I insert the MMS and then stick the pandora battery into the PSP, the PSP acts as if it's bricked! (green light turns on for a few seconds then shuts off). I was holding the L trigger while inserting the battery. I don't know what to do. I'm lost :(

I think it is also worth mentioning that the memory card I'm using is a sony branded one, but when I view the information on my working PSP, it says that the MagicGate is unknown. Could that be the reason?

9. E64

E64 Member

Your memory card is probly damage does it blink orange when your memory card is insert if it does try using another memory card

10. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

the memory card is working perfectly fine. I used it on my working PSP with no issues

11. ehabcharek

ehabcharek Member

ok, something weird is happening.
    Yesterday I got a "broken" PSP from ebay (it only has scratches on the screen...) and that one has firmware 6.20 on it. Let's call this new one OFW. The one I already had was 5.50 GEN-D3. Lets call this one CFW. All of the memory cards I have work perfectly fine on CFW. On OFW, however, my main memory card also works well, but the other 2 (same kind) only SOMETIMES work. when they don't work, the orange light flashes. However, if I shut it down and restart it or set it to sleep and then turn it on, the PSP will recognize them. I also tried them as MMS on my new OFW and they work just fine.
    Could it be that the PSP mentioned in the first post is broken beyond repair? or is there still hope for it?