PS3 WVI

Discussion in 'PlayStation 3' started by Zeflis, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

I am in the planning stage for a Ps3 WVI; so this is the plan:

I'm using a PSP as my base, taking a Ps3 controller and franken-casing the two halves onto the sides, and move the analog sticks down to make room for the screen. This will keep the triggers intact, as well as providing room for the pressure sensitive face buttons. I created these 3D models quickly to show what I mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AV receiver will be mounted on the back of the system, and out of the way of my hands. I believe it can accept 7.4v which is what i'm using for batteries
    --http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58g-200mw-txrx-with-integrated-regulator-board-and-mi-p-178.html

The power supply will consist of three 3.7v batteries. They are the batteries found in Ps3 controllers. Two will be run in parallel and one in series to total out to 7.4v 2600mah
    --http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Internal-Bat...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item53ea667e69

The screen I am using has been used by others one Modretro as screens to put in PSP cases so its a great fit and can accept 7.4v as well
    --http://www.priceangels.com/4-3-inch...deo-Monitor-with-Windshield-Mount-s75954.html

And finally for sound I am either going to buy high quality headphones and a red/white cable splitter or go to Walmart and buy small speakers that I can salvage one from.

Let me know what you think!

2. bud

bud DAT ASS

I really like that design :)

3. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

Thanks! Hopefully I will be able to fit it all it to my PSP 3000, but I can always buy a PSP 1000 case for cheap on DealExtreme :D

4. Ashen

Ashen GameCube Révolutionary

Concept is pretty slick man, can't wait for some progress. :)

5. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

Does anyone know the depth of the screen and thickness of the screen board? I will be ordering It today and it would be helpful to know for planning.

6. βeta

βeta ModRetro Legend

You can't do batteries that way, you either need 3 in series for 11.4v, or 4 in series-parallel for 7.4v with double the amperage.

7. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

Right. That would make sense. I may just use two then and have the option to run off wall power.

8. βeta

βeta ModRetro Legend

Two will work, just get some bigger cells off of batteryspace.

9. lexxion83

lexxion83 Member

I actually did a Universal WVI and had the post on this board: Link:

Univeral WVI

Anyway, few pointers:

1. I used the same transmitter/receiver. They are very small. The transmitter has on-board microphone build in. There is a small volume control for the mic if you want to turn it off. I can tell you where it is located. Be default it is on. So if you transmitter Stereo Sound it will pick up the noise around. Even at the lowest settings there is a very low 'hissing' sound. You can only hear 'hissing' when no regular sound is present. Stereo sound is very good. This transmitter does not amplify the sound (I think). You need to use headphones or make your own audio amp.

2. Both transmitter/receiver can run of 7.4V batteries. That is what I am using 7.4V @ 6400mAh Battery - Link. This powers a tiny fan (more about that later), receiver and 7" LCD HD (800x480) Screen. I get about 8-10 Hours of run time :) Pretty sweet.

3. The receiver gets pretty hot when running on 12V. The lover the voltage the colder the receiver. At 7.4V I do not need a fan to be on. The receiver is just warm.

4. The placement of receiver is very important. Sometimes when I cut the line of sight between receiver and transmitter the picture disappears for a second. I keep mine stationary. This can be due to number of reasons. Interference, bad placement, etc. You will have to play and see if placing antenna internally has any difference on the signal vs external antenna etc.

5. My 7" HD screen has no speakers build in, takes 2 RCA video inputs etc. I picked that one because of the resolution @ size : 800x480 for 7" is awesome even on RCA video. You can barely notice pixels. The screen was about $56. The only downside to it is the TOP viewing angle. Everything else is awsome.

6. My Universal WVI transmits any RCA video signal and stereo audio. Works on any system with RCA etc :)

Your 3D design is pretty sweet. I would like to see your worklog.

Keep up a good job.

10. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

Thanks lexxion83. Is there any interference when the receiver is being moved around? I plan on having my WVI handheld and thus not stationary as you can see from the 3D models. Does having an obstacle(like a wall) in the way affect signal for long? You said it cuts out for a second, but does it stay glitchy or become fine once it re-establishes a connection? How big/small is the board inside the receiver?

I do plan on amplifying it in some way, but I haven't decided whether I want to use headphones or speakers, but my space is limited being in a psp case, so we'll have to wait and see.

11. lexxion83

lexxion83 Member

1. Interference: Like I said before, when I move the box slowly I do not get the interference, but if you shake it I think I do get some interference. By shaking I mean like violently shaking it. I did test it in another room although and still got signal. Had to be about 30ft or more. Although if you wave your hand in front of antenna (your hand between antenna and whenever receiver is located I get occasional blank screen for like a sec) and then it corrects itself. I think there is some kind of signal correction when interference is present as I did not expect anything longer than a sec). I think my receiver placement in the case might cause it to have a bad signal or the placement of the transmitter. I live in multi-family apartment with tons of interference. I did not play with changing the placements. I know they sell a 500mW Transmitter on that site. That will give you like 2x more powerful signal. The receiver is the same I think. Another good thing about this one is it runs at 5.8Ghz (8 channels to select from). For example, xbox 360 controller runs on 2.4Ghz so any A/V wireless video will interfere with the Xbox 360 controller. (Proven on youtube. Someone did this test). PS3 is Bluetooth so you do not have to worry about it much.

2. Size of Receiver Board: I did not remove the aluminium casing because I think it acts as a heatsink for the receiver. The receiver casing is about 5cm x 5cm x .7cm. The transmitter is even smaller :)

Remember. These tramistter/receiver kits are used in aerial R/C vehicles. So I guess that is why they only have 1 antenna and very tiny power consumption. PLUS they expect the open line of sight with not much interference. I did not care about that as for the money ( about $69.99) you will NOT find anything this small with that little power consumption. As I said mine runs for 8-10hrs :)

12. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

Ok that sounds fine. I usually should have an open line of sight. And yes I did know that it is used for RC planes. I have an RC offroad truck and was going to get this initially for that, but never did. But I will definitely go for this one. Thanks for the help! I will be ordering it as soon as I finish planning it out.

13. Σigma

Σigma Active Member

Very nice mockups. 3DS Max?

And I believe a 4.3" Screen fits perfectly in the PSP case, but someone else would need to confirm that.

14. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

I feel so awful triple posting, but I don't know how to delete posts (If there is a way).

Anyway, I want some input from anyone on which position to put the ps3 controller in.
    The position where the start and select buttons are covered is the closest in width to my design, but then the screen might feel heavy in my hands, so I don't know if I like that one so much. But I do like when the cases are flush on top; it gives it a kind of sleek look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can post here or feel free to PM me also

15. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

I got the controller apart today. Still waiting on parts from dealextreme and priceangels to continue one with this.

[​IMG]

16. I recommend you use a 1000 model case instead, Because its thicker and it will most likely have more room. As for soldering conductive plastic, that sounds near impossible, but kudos if you are successful :) . BTW, sweet design. I'm doing a 360 WVI once i start working again, thinking of using an atari lynx as a case.

17. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

Yes, I have a PSP 1000 case I bought off Dealextreme.com that I already have chopped up and ready to be frankencased as with the ps3 controller. I am just waiting for money to buy the transmitter/receiver, and batteries and time to work on it.

18. Sounds wicked awesome. I have a number of mods in the planning stages, like a clamshell compact N64 and others. :)

19. Batman

Batman Member

I think that you should use the placement in picture 2.

20. Zeflis

Zeflis Member

The PS Vita stole my thunder