ps3 maximum hdd

Discussion in 'PlayStation 3' started by keshav, May 6, 2016.

1. keshav

keshav Member

Hey guys what is the maximum internal hdd that can be installed inside ps3 can i connect a 4 tb

2. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

Nobody builds a 4tb 2.5" harddrive, so 3tb is gonna be the biggest HDD. Technically you could probably use an enterprise grade SSD somewhere in the 8tb range - I'm not really sure at what point they start getting thicker than 9.5mm though. Course those cost more than a typical used car anyway, so probably a moot point.

3. laingsoft

laingsoft Formerly SteamDNT

PS3's can only handle 1TB because of the way they handle partitions.
    Massive oversight on Sony's part, tbh

4. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

And here was me giving them the benefit of the doubt of having implemented basic protocol competently.

5. keshav

keshav Member

Will 8tb be supported by system software

6. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

7. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

Remember when the ps3 first came out and everyone was like "HOLY *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, WHO IS EVER GOING TO NEED A 80gb DRIVE IN THEIR GAME CONSOLE"?

8. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

WHO WILL EVER NEED 30GB OF GAME DATA
    WHO WILL EVER NEED 640KB OF RAM

9. laingsoft

laingsoft Formerly SteamDNT

Sony used Fat-32 for the PS3's drive, Which only supports partitions up to 2TB. FAT was the de-facto standard for embedded devices and things like consoles back in 2006ish, which makes it a reasonable choice. The idea was the even though the possibility of n-TB drives was looming, the other hardware would be a bottleneck long before the hard drive became an issue, which largely, it has.

There's a chance that the PS3 MAY be able to handle a 2TB drive connected with a cable on newer firmwares, but in my experience the PS3 will just read a 2TB drive as 1TB, and won't let the console touch the other half of the drive. This might be because of the hypervisor, or some sort of security thing on Sony's part.