ps2 opl smb raspberry pi

keshav

Hey fellow members I was thinking that can we run games from raspberry pi using ps2 79000 Ethernet port smb it is a faster way of input and games can be downloaded directly to raspberry pi is it possible

Yes, it could be done, as long as there's an arm build of an OPL Compatible SMB server, which I have to assume there is (and if there isn't, compiling from source on a raspi cluster shouldn't take too many months.).

I was thinking this same thing because of that other thread, actually. If you've got the parts, you should definitely test it out.
I wish I had the parts, but I've also WAY overspent my modding budget lately, so that's not happening anytime soon.

Longtime lurker here

Just thought I should chime in here as this is something I've been looking into

But the Raspberry pi is unfortunately a poor choice for usb ethernet smb.
the usb and ethernet both share the same line to the CPU, so you will get bottle-necking issues and not the best speed from the hardware

the Raspberry pi is unfortunately a poor choice for usb ethernet smb.
the usb and ethernet both share the same line to the CPU
Is this the bus on the Raspi, or this on the PS2?
If it's on the raspi, couldn't you just solve this by putting your games on the SD card with the OS?

This is on the Raspi,

That's definitely one way around it, wouldn't be quite as convenient for changing games if you had it built into the portable.

The banana pi and other SBC's don't have that issue though so you can just use one of those instead.

Hi guys,

Long time no see. So I've researched a lot on this a couple years ago but still never got around to buying a PS2 to actually implement.
But first I would say yes the Raspberry Pi server works fine this has been proven in videos like this:
As you can see the performance seems to be fine.
However, the choice of using a Raspberry Pi I personally find it to be
A. Overkill (too much wasted functionality)
B. Expensive (it's hard to find a cheap Pi)
C. Requires a router*
*It is theoretically possible to hook up the Server directly to the PS2 via crossover cable but I have not seen it in practice so I cannot guarantee.

In my research I have stumbled on a really cheap (10 dollars on ebay) cloud sharing server which I believe would be an excellent replacement for the Pi. It is also a smaller form factor than the Pi. The setup needed is to install Samba on the Pogoplug and theoretically everything should work out. I hope this helps someone and maybe motivates people to begin trimming the PS2 again. And if anyone has a spare SCPH 79001 that they are willing to sell for cheap I'd totally buy it to test these theories.

Good luck,

Lollipop

EDIT: Some other information. The Pogoplug comes with both USB and SD card functionality which is good. A guide for installing Samba on the Pogoplug can be found here: http://aaronrandall.com/blog/installing-samba-on-the-pogoplug/

Hmm. I may have to go dig in my garage for a pogoplug. Or a sheevaplug. Or a guruplug. Pretty sure I've got several.

Hmm. I may have to go dig in my garage for a pogoplug. Or a sheevaplug. Or a guruplug. Pretty sure I've got several.
Awesome. Let me know how it goes. Also make sure you use a crossover cable and not just a standard Ethernet cable because the internal wiring is different (if you end up hooking them up directly of course).

Lollipop your post got me so excited!
Buuuut then the price of international shipping brought me right back down :(

So for those of us who don't live in the US, and don't want to pay 5x the value of the Pogoplug in shipping I offer an alternative.

The NEXX WT3020 pocket travel router,
Its an OpenWRT compatible pocket travel router
Which means we can use it as a samba server :D

Compared to the Pogoplug it has a couple of pros/cons

Pros:
Cheap shipping!! (the device isn't expensive either)
Runs on 5V. (The Pogoplug runs on 12V normally, however once someone opens one up I assume we could get it going on 5V relatively quickly)
Its tiny!! (64.5*45*21.8mm(L*W*H), )

Cons:
Only has 64mb ram. (Pogoplug has 128mb and samba can be quite memory intensive)
Has a slightly slower CPU compared to the Pogoplug. (Not sure if this actually is a problem but thought I should put it here anyway)

I've currently got one of these on the way so will let you guys know how it goes

Hey glad I was able to help! That travel router sounds pretty great. The voltage was one of the things that always concerned me about the Pogoplug. Anyway, good research on your part. I look forward to hearing the update.

I have thought about that TacoSlayer,

But the downside to the piZero is that it doesn't have a dedicated Ethernet port, so you would need a USB hub (since it's only got 1 micro USB OTG port) as well as a USB to Ethernet converter to make it all work.

Still definitely workable but getting to around the same price/size as the other potential alternatives

Yeah the other downside for the Pi Zero is they sell out quickly and it's really hard to find one that isn't ridiculously marked up.

Hi folks. I set up an account because I have a pogoplug E-02 with samba added via optware and decided to try this out. I was amazed how well it worked. They can be found on Amazon listed as p-21 models for $10. Super fun device for tinkering (and now feeding me my PS2 library over the network). Thanks for the inspiration! Let me know if you want to know more about my setup

Back