PS1 Dual Analog (SCPH-1180) ps3/360 mod ideas

In the past I used a ps1 dual shock controller connected via neo-geo extension cable to a pad-hacked wired common ground xbox 360 controller for an input-lag free experience. I was perfectly happy using it until I noticed I was getting a huge callous on one of my fingers from holding the tiny controller in my large hands. After digging through some old video game stuff I came across a potential solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

The dual analog controller (DAP) is large enough to fit comfortably in my large hands. I verified it still works on my ps1 so I dug out my old ps3 pelican and xtokki 360 adapter to see if I could use it without modding. Unfortunately, it did not work with the adapters so I believe I am left with modding if I want to use it on a modern console.

After much thought, here are some of the options available to me.

1. Since the neogeo extension cable on my 360 padhack project acts a quick disconnect, I can solder another extension cable to the DAP and use it on the hacked pad
1a. remove suface mount components, break traces, ensure the ground is common, solder to all button leads and effectively turn the DAP into a large switch
1b. remove a button membrane from a dual shock controller and install that on the surface of the DAP controller, then soldering the neogeo cable to the membrane interface connector (like I did on my original ps1 padhack)
1c. use a joytron paewang board to make my own multi-console adapter in place of the common ground 360 ontroller.
2. find an adapter/converter that accepts the signal from the DAP and works as intended
3. swap the DAP guts out with a ps1 dual shock and use my already existing ps3/360 converters
4. suggestions from the modding community

What do you think?

I have some other options for you.

Make the SCPH-1180 into a bonafied DualShock 2 controller, or a DualShock if the DS2 doesn't work with that adapter setup. I know the InPiN adapter works very well for a PS2 to PS3 converter, no idea on a PS2 to 360 converter though.

After all of the parts are swapped over from a donor DS2 board, it's pretty much a drop in replacement for the original DA board.

Ignore the small board on the left, it's a button swapping and cRapid Fire circuit.

This could easily be done to accommodate the CL version of the wired 360 controller instead, making the DA controller into a wired 360 controller instead, then only one converter, 360 to PS3, would be required.

Back