Protobug's second GCP

Discussion in 'Gamecube' started by Protobug, Nov 1, 2015.

1. DuHasst0

DuHasst0 Well-Known Member

Yeah mega had recompiled a bunch of of emu software over on gc forever. Also @protobug not to be insulting or anything negative., but the mega drive adapter you bought is supposed to be a qsb (quick solder board) just butt them up against the dvd drive filters and run solder down the qsb to the filters and done. Now I did have to sand a bit off the edge at an angle to get mine to be up against them but worked well enough.

2. RageCreation

RageCreation Member

3. DuHasst0

It does, but I also did mine just fine. I used some double sided tape, used for cell phone glass repairs, to keep the board from moving during. Mine has been stuck to the board just fine.

4. Protobug

Protobug Member

Thanks for your help guys :)

You are not insulting at all :) it Just didnt Work for me and trust me i tried before wiring everything with tiny cables haha. The solder pads woudlnt solder to thé board's tabs. And when it would solder, it would touch the other tabs .. i guess i don't have the Best technique

5. RedmagnusX

RedmagnusX Active Member

Personally, I use stripped kynar wire to act as a guide for the solder between each connection while having the v6 positioned exactly how it was designed to be. This adds strength to the connection and provides a much better connection overall. Together, with the heat on my iron set to 350c, it was much faster for me to do it that way as it only took me about 10 minutes to do using this method.

6. Protobug

Protobug Member

Ok i'll try That next time :)

7. DuHasst0

Yeah red that sounds like a good method to go as well. So many different ways to solder, altho I did get the suggestion from emukidid. To each their own for sure. Tho you seem to have it. Cheers on that for sure. Wiring a wkf/wasp is not easy business.

8. Protobug

Protobug Member

This project is officially done ! I'll post pictures as soon as i can :)

9. RedmagnusX

RedmagnusX Active Member

I'm glad because it really worked out well for me each time I've done it. :)

You got that right LOL. I find it to be the most tedious part of building a portable now that I 3d print my cases. I came up with that method after coming to the conclusion that the problem with the v6 is one of two things. First, certainly due to manufacturing limitations, the contacts do not go to the edge of the board. Second, The top edges of the filters tend to not easily accept solder. Between those two things, it can be a tedious process bridging the connections with solder alone. Now don't get me wrong, I've managed to bridge them fine several times. I just didn't like the time it was taking me to do so (30-40 minutes).

So to clarify for anyone who wants to try it, just strip the end of a kynar wire and solder it to the contact on the v6. Then use the wire to help bridge the connections with solder by running the solder along the wire to the filter. Once bridged, snip the excess wire and then test the continuity between the contact on the v6 and the other side of the filter. Then repeat for each connection.
    Awesome, I can't wait to see it!

10. Protobug

Protobug Member

Here are the pics ! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i still have minor problems to fix but everything is working fine :) SD gecko is wired fine i just need to know how to play emulators now.

Things to fix :

-I may have inverted the L and R softpresses solved !
    -the memory card is sometimes showing as not connected (can't figure out why) still happening
    -Left and Right on the main stick is cannot be pressed at full range (can be fixed easily) solved !
    -Apparently Z and L are triggered when only pressing L solved !
    -Batteries causing problems solved !
    -headphones not hearing anything when plugged in Solved !
    Not quite done yet ;)

11. Protobug

Protobug Member

what do you guys think ?

12. Aurelio

Aurelio Active Member

That's really good looking, congrats! :)

13. RedmagnusX

RedmagnusX Active Member

Great job on this portable Protobug!

14. Protobug

Protobug Member

thanks guys :D

For the memory card, it still happens from time to time. I just wired all the pins of the motherboard to the card and sometimes it says that something else than a memory card has been inserted. Isn't there a sens in point that i have to solder ?

15. RedmagnusX

RedmagnusX Active Member

Sense In should be pin 12 on the memory card and Sense Out should be pin 1. I don't believe that the sense is the issue though. It sounds to me like it can sense that something is inserted in the memory card slot, but it can't read it. From how you're describing it, one of the connections seems loose.

16. Protobug

Protobug Member

ok thanks, i tested every connection with my multimeter and it seems all good :/

17. stuckonarock

stuckonarock Member

wow your print quality for this case came out great! Would you mind sharing your print settings or config file? layer height, 1st layer height, speed etc.

awesome portable!