Protective Lens for Portable Screens

2xWhiskey

I'm looking for some tips on what material I can use as a protective lens on my custom portable. I'm looking for something that is both optically clear and scratch resistant.

Thanks

25053666326_fb1ac3c7de_h.jpg

I don't really remember any portables that have used legit protective lenses, most just make do with the thin film that is one the monitor when building and then remove it and be extra careful.
You could use thin acrylic or the plastic from a computer monitor. Or maybe an ipad/tablet screen protector cut down to the right size.

I recall the original GameBoy Advance as having one. Right now I'm looking into Gorilla Glass screen protectors that I cold cut up to fit. I'm aiming for one that's about .5mm or .020" thick and preferably one that doesn't have adhesive backing.

For now, the search continues.

My first thought would be to find a device that has the same size screen as you're using, and just get a screen protector for that. Unless your screen is especially unusual, there's got to be something that's the same size pretty widely available, and there's a billion ebay sellers who sell screen protectors for every device under the sun.

Barring that, I would imagine that you could get the adhesive off of a typical gorilla glass screen protector without too much work - just get it hot and scrape it off with a razor blade. Cutting gorilla glass strikes me as the more challenging part of the equation - seems highly unlikely that it would break cleanly with a standard glass cutter, at least.

Back