Project Angel Dust (PCp)

Bit of progress made. I've got nearly everything mounted except the motherboard (has to go in last), switches, and batteries. The way things ended up fitting, the batteries will not be removable. Which sucks. Because this thing is HEAVY. Already. Without the batteries. Not unreasonably heavy, but the idea of adding the batteries kind of tips the scales into unreasonable. Maybe. I don't know. I really don't like the idea of not having batteries. If some one were to invent super light, super capacity, super CHEAP batteries I would cry with joy. So, get on that, okay? Some one? Kthx.

Also, Sam, I'm pretty sure the PS3 power supply is dead. Either that, or I just can't figure out how to turn it on. Taking it apart, things are nicely labeled on the inside. There's the AC connector on the back, the 12v/ground connector on the bottom, and the PSON/ground/5v on the front. I assumed perhaps to turn it on, you connected "PSON" to ground. But that did nothing. Neither did connecting it to the 5v line. Either my google fu is bad (entirely possible), or no one ever tries turning on a PS3 power supply without a PS3. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please do tell.

Thanks but I already tried that. Multimeter isn't even picking up the 5v.

So, it's "finished." Typing this with the touch screen now. Sure is awkward and slow. No internal batteries currently. It is way too heavy already. Will have to make them an external pack. :\ Also don't have the PCI-E connector mounted yet. No point really until I get a higher amperage external PSU.

Not sure if I should record a video and post it now (in the finished projects section) or wait til then. If I wait, it could be a while. 'Cause I'm broke currently.

Edit: On my main PC now, hours later. So, I've run into a bit of a snag. Firstly, it never occurred to me that the touchscreen would not function properly as a mouse inside a game. I just mean for the main menu, etc. Not having a mouse wouldn't normally be a problem, right? You'd just use the keyboard. But I don't have one of those either. I can map all the appropriate things to the 360 controller for getting around the menus (with Xpadder), but then what about gameplay? Well, perhaps Xpadder can switch profiles with a hotkey. If it can, I haven't discovered how. I'm going to look into using other programs for it, but it's an issue for sure.

I mean, yeah I could plug in a small wireless mouse or something for those circumstances, but that sorta defeats the purpose of this "all-in-one" kind of thing. I could try integrating a small track ball. I was thinking of that back when I was first considering this project. It's too bad that the touchscreen can't change its function to work like a trackpad (swiping to move the cursor around the screen). Hmm. You know, there are those little mini bluetooth keyboard/mouse things of a few varieties (which was another thing I thought about trying to integrate before I started this). I could get one of those. Maybe attach it to the back with velcro when not in use. There's a couple mini USB keyboards ones out there too. Though not many (the most common being the one originally for the ps2 which is missing important keys). Or perhaps I could get a tiny gamepad and integrate its buttons into the case and use joytokey for it and keep it permanently mapped to specific buttons (mouse emulation, menu navigation, etc.).

Blah. I don't know. I can't make extremely drastic modifications to this case because I'd basically have to start over from scratch due to how everything is mounted. Which I definitely don't want to do. So if I add something, it has to be small. Tiny, even. Argh. This is frustrating.

I may have found a solution. A kind of cool one. I have here a tiny optical mouse that used to belong to my mother. It has a bad cord. People give me their electronic flax (I'm sure it's the same with most anyone on this forum). Anyways, if I mount it upside down inside, pointing outwards, I could essentially use my thumb as the "surface" the mouse is moving on. Basically, keeping the mouse stationary but moving the "surface" instead. I'd just have to drill a hole for it and mount it. Also, relocate the buttons (maybe the scroll wheel?! ooh). Hmm. It wouldn't make for a great mousing experience by any means, but it would work for menus and stuff when necessary.

Kyosho said:
I may have found a solution. A kind of cool one. I have here a tiny optical mouse that used to belong to my mother. It has a bad cord. People give me their electronic flax (I'm sure it's the same with most anyone on this forum). Anyways, if I mount it upside down inside, pointing outwards, I could essentially use my thumb as the "surface" the mouse is moving on. Basically, keeping the mouse stationary but moving the "surface" instead. I'd just have to drill a hole for it and mount it. Also, relocate the buttons (maybe the scroll wheel?! ooh). Hmm. It wouldn't make for a great mousing experience by any means, but it would work for menus and stuff when necessary.
Remember, one axis will be inverted.
I've never really had any luck with PC games and touchscreens. The only game (besides Solitaire) that really worked with one is World of Goo. That game feels like it was made for a touchscreen.

Oh yeah, didn't realize that. The mouse I took apart last night is an old optical trackball (was going to see if I could use a smaller ball), which is what gave me the idea. You're right about the regular mouse. I'll just have to use the trackball guts instead. With it, flipping it upside down puts all the axises in the correct orientation for thumb-use.

Back