Problem with my portable

Mawile

hi when i finished wiring everything up in my portable i insulated the boards from each other. but when i try to turn it on nothing turns on and the multimeter read 0.14 volts being drawn. does anyone have a reason for this? or can you help me to fix this

ProgMetalMan said:
We need a Heck of a lot more info than that...
This.
It would be much more useful to post in the forum for the console you're portablizing, or even in one of your past threads about it.

Console: Playstation 1 SCPH-7502
Battery Canon BP-911 7.4 volt 2200mah lithium ion battery
current being drawn when on: 0 milliamperes
voltage when on: 0.14 volts
Features:
Mario's two transistor battery indicator
Audio Amp
12 volt ebay screen
dualshock 2 controller
mm3 modchip
is that everything?

Time tested: 8:48 PM
insulation: paper 80gsm Xerox brand
controller: madcatz third party dualshock 2 controller.
solder: 0.9mm rosin core lead free solder.
soldering iron: 35 watt soldering iron
please list any other information needed. :(

hi thanks for your reply but when it gets .14 volts then there is no current.
something I should tell you when the entire circuit is off and I just measure the battery's voltage it reads .37 volts. is this a problem?

the battery does not heat up at all even if it is left on for 30 seconds or so.

Have you tried with another power source aside from the batteries? There's a possibility that the battery is bad, which would explain low to no current flowing and a decrease in voltage when a load is put across.

There's also still the possibility that you accidentally wired power into ground and shorted something, which would also explain the sudden drop and could have damaged the battery. I asked for heat because generally when shorted batteries become warm.

i rechecked my wiring and have found no problems like a short circuit but i found that only 0.2 uamp's(picoamps?(thing below milliamps.)) are flowing through the circuit. I don't have access to an AC adapter at the moment but will try to test soon.

If you are getting readings that low I wouldn't classify them as anything. Thats probably just from running the multimeter itself. It sounds like power is not flowing. I would disconnect the screen, batteries, and console from each other and start testing each with a DC power supply rather than batteries.

Check, double check, and triple check your wiring. It is possible you may have shorted your batteries. They might be asleep. To wake them up, disconnect them from everything and charge them. I did that yesterday and they woke up fine.

The best strategy with any engineering project is to make sure every part and system works incrementally. Test EVERYTHING once you add a new component to the circuit. Don't just wire everything up at once and hope for the best. Hope that helps.

Mawile said:
i rechecked my wiring and have found no problems like a short circuit but i found that only 0.2 uamp's(picoamps?(thing below milliamps.)) are flowing through the circuit. I don't have access to an AC adapter at the moment but will try to test soon.
You're measuring the current correctly, right? You're putting the multimeter in series with the board? (Did I get that right this time Herma?)
Get a voltage reading (connected straight to the battery, red to pos, black to neg) with everything off. What is it?

i have set it up in series and i don't get any current reading but when everything is off and i measure the battery i get 0.37 volts as the reading

Most battery pcb's switch off when you short ground. If you accidentally bridge them, they'll turn off until you charge them. Just disconnect them from everything else, make sure they are wired to the pc correctly and plug them in to your charger.

I got my screen desoldered and it works fine when connected separately to my GameCube with a 9v battery. But i cant get a source of 7.4 volt power to test the motherboard and disc drive.

Have you tried charging your batteries and checking their voltage before hooking them up?

hi sorry for the crazy late reply but I tried what you said and it worked thank you so much everyone i was worried that maybe the motherboard was fried but no! it is working I am so pumped to show it off to some of my friends! sorry for rambling but I am excited. :p :p :lol: :lol: :D :D :)

Back