Probably stupid question about CD drive

Ok, here goes a crazy idea...

Seeing how thin the ps1 is without the CD drive it would make sense to concentrate on slimming that down. Or removing it completely ;) I want to replace it with an SD card of ISOs and obviously that requires some extensive hacking.

Emulators have ISO support, and I see no reason why I can't build hardware to intercept requests for block x and return the relevent part of a file.

My question is: I have no idea how the console interacts with the CD drive, where can I find info on this? General concepts plus hardware-level voltages/timing info etc would be great, but I doubt that info exists tbh. It would be nice to be wrong though. Anything you guys can throw my way would be a huge help.

TheNineRings said:
Umm... Google?
Karma Downed.

Google searches return that it seems many people have had similar ideas, but not yet has a proper modification been created. I hope it does, though; you've got the right idea!

stiven251 said:
Nice idea. actually is we use SD card then it is more convenient then DVD. and it give faster data transfer rate so loading time will be less then DVD.
cough* spambot?

PLEASE use this button to report spambots instead of replying:

iconpostreport.gif

Back