Post your PC Specs!

For example, my "soundcard" is made from pure silver and graphene, and has been machined to a deviation in wire diameter of under half a micron. Then it was cryogenicly tempered and is stored in a 99.997% vacuum held at 18.3 degrees Celsius.

What kind of Audiophile do you think you are? Talking about sound cards and flax.

Meanwhile, PC specs because I don't think I've ever posted them...

256gb SSD
2tb HDD
720gb HDD
400W PSU
8gb RAM
i5 3570K @ 4 * 3.4gHz
2gb GTX 650

I like good audio, but I don't consider myself an audiophile. I don't really care about purity or accuracy as long as it sounds good to my ears. New cables seem to have solved the "buzzes like crazy when PC is off" issue, so the soundcard has dropped even further down the priority list.

Mako321 said:
Most audiophiles don't run consumer sound cards, especially internal ones. :p
I had a Schiit Magni/Modi stack, as well as an O2 DAC. I sold them since I couldn't tell the difference between them and my SBx under ABx. Beyond that, up until recently, my computer was in the utility room (yay tiny houses) so the listening environment was flax at best. Now that I've got my setup in a room with less background noise and all that, I'm considering picking up an O2 or such and trying it again.

Been running a Sound Blaster Z since last week. It definitely sounds better, but I think that has more to do with whatever the drivers are doing than the actual hardware performance of the card. But that's not why I'm posting. Today, I discovered something very interesting about my setup.

scz9j9.jpg

The red arrow points to the subwoofer, which is hidden by the table and situated below the receiver. What I found out today is that at the right volume and frequencies, the bass is a lot louder if I sit in front of my dad's computer (orange chair). I'm no expert so I might be totally wrong, but I think it's actually loading the entire space behind the desks and printer stand. Now, both me and my dad expected it to load the area behind my desk. But this is new.

Unfortunately, I'm moving away in a few months and I won't be able to turn this system up after that. But I'm enjoying it for the time being. It's super overkill and super awesome.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
(monitor/tv)
Intel Quadcore I7 3.4Ghz CPU
Corrsair 8GB DDR3 memory 1stick
Nvidia GTX 760 1.5Gb gfx card
2.4Tb HDD space
Bluray slim drive burner.
Speaker: logitech Z506 5pc speakers 100watts (don't need that loud) don't want to get kicked out :D

Monitor: 24" VIZIO smart tv widescreen and having sound issues on this as well. I use an external speaker.

Total cost 980$ already had my hdds from my old rig.
Speakers cost 60$
Total cost 1300$ USD

Tv had it for 2yrs already.

4.0GHz FX-8350 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P[Came with a free Sempron 145]
8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-1600MHz G.SKILL RIPJAWS
Sapphire R9 270x 4GB
40GB 5400RPM HDD
Apevia 500watt See-through PSU
Windows 8.1

Edit: Still working on this build by the way :p

Just set up to test until I find a case, HDD, SSD, and Cooler I like.
Also more Memory would be nice?

BoFoSho said:
4.0GHz FX-8350 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P[Came with a free Sempron 145]
8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-1600MHz G.SKILL RIPJAWS
Sapphire R9 270x 4GB
40GB 5400RPM HDD
Apevia 500watt See-through PSU
Windows 8.1

Edit: Still working on this build by the way :p

Just set up to test until I find a case, HDD, SSD, and Cooler I like.
Also more Memory would be nice?

What do you plan on using this machine for? With RAM prices up, I wouldn't buy more RAM unless you have a reason to do so.

@XCVG I have no need to buy any more memory for the time being, just something I will need later down the road. I will probably just buy 24GB and move this 8GB into a crappy machine.

@samjc3 It is really not that hot,
But, I love the ridiculous statement.
Would you like to tell me that 8 cores is useless as well? :p
With the stock cooler I am hitting a max of 60C When under a 65-75% load.

BoFoSho said:
@XCVG I have no need to buy any more memory for the time being, just something I will need later down the road. I will probably just buy 24GB and move this 8GB into a crappy machine.

Max safe temps on an 8350 is 62c. You're *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed m8

Mako321 said:
BoFoSho said:

Source? Most processors are rated for higher than that, and AMD's stuff is known to run hot.

"...Max of.." (Learn to read and comprehend please.)
That is not what it Averages,
That is not what is has consisted at in any capacity,
That is the maximum package temp I have logged(I am logging it anytime the PC is turned on)
AMD is known to be slightly off with their sensors but not by much.

60C is fine, not ideal but fine to hit.
It will not kill my CPU nor will it cause stress.

I personally hover around the 40's when I am gaming...
For a stock cooler on an AMD chip that is not bad at all,

Thanks for the fun comment though!

XCVG said:
Mako321 said:
BoFoSho said:

Source? Most processors are rated for higher than that, and AMD's stuff is known to run hot.
Tj. Max is 80C
People have been throwing around 61C and 70C as Max numbers you should hit but nothing official from AMD that I have seen.

BoFoSho said:
"...Max of.." (Learn to read and comprehend please.)
That is not what it Averages,
That is not what is has consisted at in any capacity,
That is the maximum package temp I have logged(I am logging it anytime the PC is turned on)
AMD is known to be slightly off with their sensors but not by much.

60C is fine, not ideal but fine to hit.
It will not kill my CPU nor will it cause stress.

I personally hover around the 40's when I am gaming...
For a stock cooler on an AMD chip that is not bad at all,

Thanks for the fun comment though!

Tj. Max is 80C
People have been throwing around 61C and 70C as Max numbers you should hit but nothing official from AMD that I have seen.
Absolutely everything from AMD says 62c. Even good mobos go into warnings and stuff past 60c. 70c is the max socket temp.
You should be able to find all that in your manual, I don't remember checking myself but there's definitely documents online which say so.
Also, you said it got to 60c at 65-75% load, that's pretty flaxty. If you ever actually max your CPU it'll probably go past 65 or 70, which isn't a good place to be.
AMD temp sensors are perfectly accurate at the high end for their uses, they only calibrate for high temps because that's all that matters.

BoFoSho said:

Huh. I admit, I just sorta assumed everything from AMD these days is as hilariously high-TDP'd as the 9590 and such. It's still not particularly impressive performance though.

As far as 8 cores being useless, yeah, often enough. Overall it looks like that 8350 is running about the same performance as an i5 2500k, which is lower TDP, lower clock, half as many cores, and several generations older. The 8350 certainly performs better in a handful of well threaded applications, but those aren't too common.

As for me, if I want a ~125 watt TDP chip, I'll take an i7 E-series every time. (I must admit to being jaded thanks to my large budget)

I'm running a Vishera hexcore in my server. Spending the same money on Intel, I would only be able to afford a dual-core Haswell. Which performs better on one and two threaded loads, but, well, it's a server, which means running a bunch of stuff at once. Ironically, I hang a lot less on it now so the Haswell probably would have been sufficient. And a lot more power efficient.

That one doesn't get too hot, but my dad's A10-5800K APU gets to 50-60 degrees under load when it's hot outside. We're currently looking at getting a replacement solution for the flaxty stock cooler. Maybe a Corsair H60 because of how easy it is to mount on AMD.

webPC wildly varies between bad but acceptable temps and holy flax it's about to catch fire. Tweaking the CPU smart fan control seems to have fixed it, but it still runs fairly hot. Our media center ran stupidly hot, and ended up with an extra fan, external PSU, and new CPU fan. It's still warm, mostly because its intake air is superheated by our TV.

My main PC, of course, only goes above 40 degrees when it's hot and/or under load and never exceeds fifty degrees. The 770 is a toaster, though. It idles at something like 55 degrees and only goes up.

It could be worse, though. I could have a space heater R9 290.

tl;dr: Depending on what you're comfortable running at (I prefer cool), you might want to look at aftermarket cooling. Either a good air cooler or an all-in-one liquid cooler kit.

XCVG said:
The 770 is a toaster, though. It idles at something like 55 degrees and only goes up.
That's interesting. I managed to get mine to 62 once, mining DGC at nearly 1.4ghz. What brand/cooler is yours?

EVGA with Titan-derived cooler (official statement is that the only difference is the shroud). I'm on my laptop right now, but IIRC it gets into the 70s under load. Yes, I know, "blowers suck", but dumping the hot GPU exhaust out the back of the case lowered CPU temps be several degrees. It's just a much more elegant solution IMO, even though they don't cool as well in practice.

Back