Post your PC Specs!

Here is the PC I built for school M.C.S.A program.. I just upgraded it recently.. Originally had 12 gig, and two 9400 t nvidia cards. Custom PC. 5 years old. I7 core 1st gen. Upgraded to 24 gigs of ram PC-12800. 2 nvidia geoforce gtx 760 super clocked. Bluetooth interal card. Multi-boot with easy bcdedit win7 cracked, win7 legit. Server 08 legit, server 08 r2 legit. VMware virtual machines 8.. Server 08 legit, hackintosh leapord, steamOS, windows xp "legit sort of", windows 7, windows 8, Ubuntu, Hypervisor 08..(and a few more virtual machines running in it).. I never really us it except for with my invidia sheild. I built it when I had free MSDN licenses so only had to buy hardware.. Bought everything from magic micro PC. Originally $1200.00 out the door. But 256 ssd, ram upgrade and 2 760 cards were about $900.00.

My laptop/tablet my woman bought me for our anniversary in December is a Razer Edge pro. I am upgrading the hard drive on it to 480 gb because 256gb is not big enough for my games to fit. Also gonna replace the wifi-Bluetooth card for a dual band one. Thought a bought replacing the ram but have not had lag issues other than it being windows 8.

Vad1er said:
How do you upload photos on this site?
We don't host images on this site. use an image host like imgur, photobucket or such and then use the image tags to embed that image in your post.
Code:
[img]Image Url goes here[/img]

Motherboard- ASRock (Don't remember model)
CPU- AMD FX8350 @ 4.200GHz
RAM- 32GB DDR3
GPU- MSI GTX 770 GPU 2GB GDDR5
PSU- Antec 650W 80-plus bronze
Networking- Built-in gigabit LAN & TP-Link dual band 802.11N PCI card
Case- Antec 300 mid-tower
Cooling- 2 stock case fans, 3 blue LED Antec case fans, aftermarket CPU cooler (also don't remember which model)
Storage- 120GB Samsung SSD (windows boot), 2TB Western Digital black (Shared Storage), 650GB Western Digital blue (Linux boot)
Optical- ASUS DVD+- R/RW, Label Flash DVD+- R/RW
OS- Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Keyboard- Razer Blackwiddow 2013 mechanical
Mouse- Razer DeathAdder optical
Monitors- 3 AOC 21.5" 1080p IPS LCD monitors @ 5760x1080

SteamID- Basement_Modder (Lets play some games lol)

Basement_Modder said:
Ewwww, triple landscape. I ran mine like that for a couple days before my triple mount arrived, and I gotta say, it's terrible. It's alright on those few games that have HUD position options, but those are rare, at best. For most games you end up with HUD elements flung so far to your right and left that they aren't easily visible without turning your head. And menus can be a real nightmare. The part that really annoyed me though, is that I didn't feel like I got more space most of the time, and in some select titles, it actually really hurts how much you can see, because they scale FOV poorly and you wind up with a ~90° FOV stretched over a 143° display array (not counting bezels). This results in a hilariously tiny vertical FOV which feels constricting, and in some cases, can make the game much harder.

Triple portrait, on the other hand, works out to a 16:9.5 aspect ratio, so games that don't have true surround support still scale quite comfortably, and HUDs and menus and all aren't crippled. It's a much more efficient way to get the advantage of all the pixels you payed for.

With that said, once intel and nvidia release their next lineups, I'm probably gonna build a second machine as a dedicated surround machine, and go for 5x1 portrait, which falls between 3x1 portrait and 3x1 landscape (16:5.7 aspect ratio, 115 degree FOV). Once I do that, I'll revert this machine to non-surround with a 27" primary for those games that simply don't run in surround at all.

samjc3 said:
Basement_Modder said:
Ewwww, triple landscape. I ran mine like that for a couple days before my triple mount arrived, and I gotta say, it's terrible. It's alright on those few games that have HUD position options, but those are rare, at best. For most games you end up with HUD elements flung so far to your right and left that they aren't easily visible without turning your head. And menus can be a real nightmare. The part that really annoyed me though, is that I didn't feel like I got more space most of the time, and in some select titles, it actually really hurts how much you can see, because they scale FOV poorly and you wind up with a ~90° FOV stretched over a 143° display array (not counting bezels). This results in a hilariously tiny vertical FOV which feels constricting, and in some cases, can make the game much harder.

Triple portrait, on the other hand, works out to a 16:9.5 aspect ratio, so games that don't have true surround support still scale quite comfortably, and HUDs and menus and all aren't crippled. It's a much more efficient way to get the advantage of all the pixels you payed for.

With that said, once intel and nvidia release their next lineups, I'm probably gonna build a second machine as a dedicated surround machine, and go for 5x1 portrait, which falls between 3x1 portrait and 3x1 landscape (16:5.7 aspect ratio, 115 degree FOV). Once I do that, I'll revert this machine to non-surround with a 27" primary for those games that simply don't run in surround at all.
I actually like it quite a bit. Most every game I buy or steal download either supports it with the hud scaling normally, or flawless widescreen corrects it.

Edit- and it looks pretty badass
1899585_10202772710073066_478992527_o.jpg

Sorry for the poor formatting, everything is just copy-pasted from Xfire haha.

Processor Intel Core i5 2500k (4.4Ghz)
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Hard Drive 2x 1 TB, 1x 500 GB, 1x 3 TB External
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro
Video Card Nothing right now ): (580 died, waiting for 800 series)
Monitor QNIX QX2710 2560x1440@96hz + Dell 1440x900 (portrait)
Sound Card Fiio E17 DAC/AMP
Speakers Logitech X-540/ or Yamaha 5.1 Receiver w/ various speaker + bass shakers (for racing seat)
Headphones Superlux HD681EVO
Keyboard Tesoro Durandal G1NL (MX-Browns)
Mouse Razer Naga Molten
Mouse Surface Xtracs Ripper XXL
Computer Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower

Also, Basement_Modder, is that a little Lepai amp I see on your right speaker, and if so, how is it working for you? Mine gets noticeable static if I have the tone controls turned on at all.

I really should get a different mechanical keyboard. I like the MX blues in the razer but they're loud as Heck. Plus having a razer mouse (I really do like it) and keyboard (I got like a half off deal) makes me look like a total fanboy.

Yes, and the desktop background has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

ttsgeb said:
Yes, and the desktop background has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

I put it as that for a "post your battlestation" contest on razer's facebook page. Before that, it was a portal guy. Now it changes every 10 minutes.

ttsgeb said:
Mine is solid black, because I'm just that good.
Mine might as well be - I never see it. I didn't get all these monitors so I could look at my wallpapers. I leave windows up in fullscreen all the time.

This is typical for my desktop:
Fhe6Fnw.jpg

ttsgeb said:
Needs more pixels.
I know, I've got a DP-eDP converter board sitting here so I can hook up an Ipad display, but I haven't got an extra displayport to do it with, and I can't free up the one I do have without *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing up all my surround settings, which means I'd have to rebuild all the wallpapers I never see, and plus I'd end up with an unused panel, since all of my video outs are saturated. All this because nobody makes a proper graphics cards with 6 miniDP instead of a pile of retarded legacy connectors that aren't relevant to people with any sort of modern setup.

I want more pixels, but I can't - not yet, anyway. I'll need a new motherboard so I can go SLI on some new cards, and I'm not doing that till the new intel/nvidia lines release.

samjc3 said:
a pile of retarded legacy connectors that aren't relevant to people with any sort of modern setup.
Don't hate the analog goodness. :tophat: I actually have a cheap 13" LCD that has a good selection of inputs, but HDMI from a computer looks terrible for some reason (360 looks fine, though), so I have to use VGA. Now that I think of it, I don't have any CRTs...
I like your monitor setup, sam, but I don't think I could handle only 1080px wide. 1200px is about the lowest width I could use (at least with landscape monitors).

I want more pixels....
Sadly, in linux you can't span your desktop accross multiple monitors connected to different graphics cards. And of course in Windows if you want multiple GPU's, they have to use the same driver version....
So I need some of those mini display port to DVI adapters! Maybe someday....

Anyway, my setup as it is right now:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 550 (unlocked to 4 cores, of course)
Ram: 3x 2GB Kingston stuff for 6GB total
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870, XFX reference card
2 80GB IDE hard drives, one with Windows 7, the other Arch linux
1TB Seagate for storage
250GB laptop drive for games, unsure of brand
Dell 2001FP display, 20.1", 1600x1200
Hannspree HF225 (I think) display, 22.5", 1920x1080

I'm lacking in the hard drive department. I want another 1TB for backup purposes, and my booting hard drive needs replacing. Thinking about getting This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171105572859?ss ... 1423.l2649
for something cheap that can replace both 80GB's so I can have a DVD drive again. Or I suppose I could get a $15 SATA DVD drive if I really want one. I only have like 10 open SATA ports....

bentendo64 said:
I want more pixels....
I'm lacking in the hard drive department. I want another 1TB for backup purposes, and my booting hard drive needs replacing. Thinking about getting This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171105572859?ss ... 1423.l2649
for something cheap that can replace both 80GB's so I can have a DVD drive again. Or I suppose I could get a $15 SATA DVD drive if I really want one. I only have like 10 open SATA ports....

Get a 2 or 4TB internal to put all your stuff on, then order an external HDD housing or two and put your old drives in there.

Edit- What the actual *Can'tSayThisOnTV* are you using IDE for still? I mean its okay if all you use those drives for is pictures and text documents and such... or backup. Only thing I still use IDE for (if I can help it) is spare wires to solder stuff up with.

Don't the additional platters on HDD's >2TB make them exponentially less stable?

Back