Portable Battery Pack

Hey, I'm making my first portable and I was wondering how to go about picking the battery pack and how to hook it up to the system once I get it. I'm using a Retron 2 for my portable and it comes with an adapter that outputs 10v at 6000mA. Do I need to find those exact specifications on my battery pack? I've got the rest of the system down pretty well but this is hanging me up for some reason. Any help is welcome and appreciated.

no the 6000ma is the current it can supply ( it probably doesn't nearly draw that ) and 10v is the voltage. the voltage is the important one as you battery pack has to be pretty close (10v could probably run on 11.1v fine and maybe 8.4v) the 2 stats you will get for the battery is the voltage (as stated before) and the capacity in mah. that is miliamp hours so if it does draw 6 amps (again it likely draws far far less) a 6000mah battery could power it for 1 hour so it can supply that current for 1 hour. you could power it off of a 6mah battery but it would only be powered for 1/1000 of an hour. try to find the current draw of the retron 2 or Google how to find it out with a multimeter. hope i could help.

The power adapter is most likely going into some kind of power regulator inside the Retron 2. I'm going to guess it's going into a 7805 linear regulator so you'll probably be just fine using a 7.4v li-ion battery pack. Depending on what screen you use, you'll likely be just fine with something in the 2500 mAh range for capacity unless you want the battery to last longer than 4+ hours (not really necessary). An 11.1v battery pack is overkill unless your screen is power hungry.

Back