Please help the noob?

Hi there... I'm trying to make some extra money. And I thought buying broken gameboys, repairing them then selling them would be a really fun side job. When I'm more seasoned I want to do some custom stuff, rasberi pi's, cusom painted cases etc. Here's my delema... I know nothing about this stuff. I was wondering if someone could tell me what tools I'll need, a good first project and were I can buy broken stuff for repair. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Buy broken stuff on ebay or fleamarkets, check what is broken and try to fix it. You'll probably need a soldering iron. It's fun, but not worth it for the money. Too much work for too small profit.

If you build something cool, assuming it's not something fantastic or revolutionising, you will be lucky if you go even if you have to buy spare parts. And this is without labour, so you're better off getting a real job and do the modding in your free time.

Try setting up a equation for what you can buy a gameboy for, the price of spare parts, the amount of work it would take, and what it could sell for. See if it seem profitable enough.

A good first project can be to buy a bunch of broken consoles, or controllers or whatever and try to fix them, even if you won't make money on it, you will learn a ton.

Back