Oculus to sell to facebook for $2 billion

Bush said:
Aaaaaand no more Oculus support for Minecraft. Wow
jack-nicholson-anger-the-shining.gif

Clearly Palmer is a sellout, and Brendan has no idea what he is doing.

It is most definitely not a smart move, and it literally means that the rift will change it's name to LeOcuLus Rift-book, and integrate facebook ads and sign-in.
Palmer will begin wearing blue sweaters, and his hair will gradually curl up. His neck will elongate, and his last name will change to "Luckeyburg".

Then, out of the darkness, a single programmer sits silent. His keyboard sheathed. That young programmer? John Carmack.
He walks up to the evil marble desk that sits in the corner of a darkened office. He lays a letter on the table.
A shadowy figure swirls around in his chair. His light-blue sweater gleaming in the sun.

"That's it Zuxklerburger, I can't work for this evil corporation anymore. I am founding my own electronic-fedora company to compete with the Occult Rift. "

"NOOOOOOOOO" A shreik cries out of Zuck-zucks mouth. "WHAT WILL I EVER DO!" He falls to his knees, sobbing. Triumphant, Carmack leaves for his second office.

John walks down to the end of the hall. He smashes open the pure mahogany door.

"I don't know what happened, You could have stopped it John.", A curly-haired figure spoke softly. His bright red bandana glistening from the single beam of light penetrating the darkened office.

"You were the chosen one!" John sobbed. "You were supposed to destroy the facebook, not join them!"

"I HATE YOU!" Palmer screamed with the embodied rage of 1000 average /v/ posters.

"You were my brother Palmer, and I loved you" Carmac spoke through tears.

At this moment, a light on Palmer's desk turned on. It shone brightly. It was the Sony Project Morpheus, and the Project Trinity.

"Well," muttered Morpheus, "I suppose you'd like to know what role you'll be playing in the destiny of mankind."

"Yes Palmer," Trinity interjects, "mankind has entered it's darkest hour. We are a hunted people. The facebook kill us faster than we can reproduce. Our numbers dwindle while theirs multiply. They have colonized other planets Palmer, They will soon become the dominant life form in the Universe. The pitiful human race from the uninteresting planet Earth has unleashed a horror upon all things that exist. We are Cain. We are the destroyers. If God did intend a place in heaven for his children, I'm sure he has reconsidered. The Pandora’s Box is open Palmer, and you are the only life form in the countless billions that exist that can prevent an end to all things."

"Wow, that's rough," responded Palmer. "Hey Morpheus, show us your penis."

"You got it!" exclaimed a visibly aroused Morpheus. The bulge in the front of his baggy purple pants was stretching the silky clown-fabric to the seams. It looked painful.With a careful zip, his crazed pants weasel exploded from his pants like a flesh javelin thrown by The Incredible Hulk. It hit the floor with a sound like a bag of meat falling from a 30-story building.

Whump!

Morpheus turned to Palmer, his penis sliding across the floor with a sound like a butt cheek sliding across a linoleum floor.

"Whoa."

"Well, that's certainly the biggest, blackest boner I've ever seen." said Trinity.

"How is that even possible?" asked Palmer.

"Junk email. I just bought 30 different pills. Added 30-90 inches to that special part. xjhdjajidj" Morpheus cryptically replied.

"Ah."

"So, I suppose I should put this in your Sega, " threatened Morpheus.

"Yes, please do," said Trinity.

Palmer walked over to the closet, "I'll get the jaws of life. You two should probably wrap that jimmy with a boat tarp or something."

"I prefer bareback bro, besides, she can't possibly survive this."

"That's for sure," said trinity as she drew a finger across her throat in the universal sign for gettin' jiggy.

"Ok, open that lady up, Dr. Mantruck is in high gear," Morpheus said gesturing to his penis.

Without warning Morpheus delivered a side kick to Trinity's gut, doubling the small woman over and bringing her to her knees. He rounded to her back, clasping his hands together and delivering a powerful overhand smash to the small of her back. Morpheus grabbed her by her small, girlish tits and blasted his skin plow into her tuna orchard.

Trinity's vagina was instantly torn asunder as the meat rocket drove straight through her cervix and into her uterus. The human body reacts poorly to the shock of massive impalement and Trinity was no exception. She began to hemorrhage terribly from the distention and tearing of tissues throughout her pelvic region. The vascular disintegration continued as her womb was crushed and torn by the force of Morpheus' raging member. As momentum carried him forward, Trin's pelvis came apart like a mobile home in a tornado. The splintering bone was driven outwards, causing further trauma to the musculature around her hips. Muscle and sinew was torn asunder when the weight of Morph's love turret crashed though the approximate region of Trin's obturator foramen. The pubofemoral and iliofemoral ligaments snapped under the pressure and both of Trinity's legs were essentially dislocated.

When wang met coccyx, thing really started to heat up!

Morpheus' Black Stallion was no ordinary throw-sausage, and it shattered her coccyx like a hand grenade made of bone. At this point they were about .03 seconds into lovemaking and already Trinity was beyond the help of medical science (even future medical science). Her lower GI was liquefied into a gory bolus and crushed against her diaphragm. The air was forced from her lungs and her heart stopped.

Vertebrae by sexy vertebrae, Morpheus' hulking beef whistle inched its way into her rib cage. The first real resistance to this hot man injection came when his half helmet met her xyphoid process. It could not be stopped though, and a crack formed longitudinally along her sternum allowing complete access to the wet vice of her upper ribs.

"I'm Cumming!!!!!!" shouted Morpheus. "Where do you want it?"

"In my eye!" screamed Trinity.

"In my hair!" yelled Palmer.

"On my sandwich!" cried John.

The spunk eruption from Mt. St. Morpheus was too much for the remainder of Trinity's body. She simply fell apart like a baseball made of ground beef.

Palmer walked up beside Morpheus to gawk at the grisly pile that used to be Trinity. Both men were splattered with blood and had looks of shock and absolute horror painted on their faces.

Morpheus is the first to speak, "well, that's the deadest Trinity I've ever seen." He then turned to John and said: "It's all ogre now"

It's funny how Palmer has essentially "taken the blame" for this whole thing on the entire internet, when he hasn't been the majority holder in a long time. What do those people think happened when Oculus received all that investment money? You think Marc Andreessen just threw money at them out of the kindness of his heart? Heck, iirc he wasn't even the majority holder prior to the entire Kickstarter. Even if Palmer had disagreed with this decision, it wouldn't have mattered one bit. It's like no one knows how business works.

The entire internet is going insane over this and they need to step out of the anti-facebook circle-jerk and relax. I've even seen multiple people on reddit wish for Palmer's death. Seriously, that's not cool. Notch especially is in no position to talk, being known for his many empty promises. The grassroots argument I keep hearing is bullflax too, if someone like Google or Valve would have bought them out, the backlash wouldn't be anything like this. No, you'd see people praising them for investing in the technology, even though Google has just as many, if not more, privacy concerns as Facebook. And honestly, I'm glad it was a company like Facebook that doesn't deal with hardware or games, because if it was a big gaming company like EA or Sony buying them out, you can bet the Oculus team would have little to no input. Facebook isn't stupid, they know Oculus already has some of the best in the industry there, so as long as they keep up the good work, Facebook will keep them operating independently.

This is a good thing, even in the long term. Everyone here especially should know that Palmer wouldn't publicly support this if it wasn't. He's a smart guy, and I'm sure this wasn't a rash decision by any means, and probably took months of discussion. Plus, he has guys like John Carmack with him, who I'm definitely sure is for this, because otherwise he would have quit beforehand.

Give it time, let them show off what they've been working on when the time is ready and make your decision then. As long as they keep doing what they're doing now and are successful at it, Facebook has no reason to intervene. If they do, I'll bite my tongue; just give them a chance.

Thanks for the support, guys!

We are going to be operating independently, and we can do a lot of things that were impossible before, like completely custom components. The big picture will become more clear over time.

Also, Zero is right about stakes in the company. We did not sell out control to FB, we did it a long time ago when we had to raise money to keep going.

Zero said:
It's funny how Palmer has essentially "taken the blame" for this whole thing on the entire internet, when he hasn't been the majority holder in a long time. What do those people think happened when Oculus received all that investment money? You think Marc Andreessen just threw money at them out of the kindness of his heart? Heck, iirc he wasn't even the majority holder prior to the entire Kickstarter. Even if Palmer had disagreed with this decision, it wouldn't have mattered one bit. It's like no one knows how business works.

The entire internet is going insane over this and they need to step out of the anti-facebook circle-jerk and relax. I've even seen multiple people on reddit wish for Palmer's death. Seriously, that's not cool. Notch especially is in no position to talk, being known for his many empty promises. The grassroots argument I keep hearing is flax too, if someone like Google or Valve would have bought them out, the backlash wouldn't be anything like this. No, you'd see people praising them for investing in the technology, even though Google has just as many, if not more, privacy concerns as Facebook. And honestly, I'm glad it was a company like Facebook that doesn't deal with hardware or games, because if it was a big gaming company like EA or Sony buying them out, you can bet the Oculus team would have little to no input. Facebook isn't stupid, they know Oculus already has some of the best in the industry there, so as long as they keep up the good work, Facebook will keep them operating independently.

This is a good thing, even in the long term. Everyone here especially should know that Palmer wouldn't publicly support this if it wasn't. He's a smart guy, and I'm sure this wasn't a rash decision by any means, and probably took months of discussion. Plus, he has guys like John Carmack with him, who I'm definitely sure is for this, because otherwise he would have quit beforehand.

Give it time, let them show off what they've been working on when the time is ready and make your decision then. As long as they keep doing what they're doing now and are successful at it, Facebook has no reason to intervene. If they do, I'll bite my tongue; just give them a chance.
+1

grossaffe said:
Zero said:
+1
+2

PalmerTech said:
Thanks for the support, guys!

We are going to be operating independently, and we can do a lot of things that were impossible before, like completely custom components. The big picture will become more clear over time.

Also, Zero is right about stakes in the company. We did not sell out control to FB, we did it a long time ago when we had to raise money to keep going.

Well, keep up the good work. Nigh unlimited funding should open some really awesome doors.

oh... my... god...

ok, i JUST put 2 and 2 together tonight. palmer! you have totally blown my mind! i had heard about oculus, but never realized it was YOU! totally awesome!

i really can't wait to see what is in store for oculus now!

:D

*edit*

i was chatting with tibia when i had this realization. she wanted to post a message, but she's gone inactive and is having issues with it. so she asked me to post something for her.

Tibia says:

"Dang Palmer, I don't even know what to say. I was pretty shocked when I realized who founded Oculus. Congrats and best of luck with what comes next!"

Zero said:
It's funny how Palmer has essentially "taken the blame" for this whole thing on the entire internet, when he hasn't been the majority holder in a long time.
The problem with this is that to my knowledge, no one at Oculus ever explicitly stated that Oculus was no longer autonomous after the venture-capital rounds. At best we knew palmer was giving some control to the venture capitalists, but there was never any hard numbers thrown around, to my knowledge. All in all this situation is at heart, an accountability situation.

The entire internet is going insane over this and they need to step out of the anti-facebook circle-jerk and relax.
Internal conferences and quotes from Zukerberg himself confirm at this point that facebook will start integrating facebook ads and services in the long term, which is a bad thing, in my opinion.
The grassroots argument I keep hearing is flax too, if someone like Google or Valve would have bought them out, the backlash wouldn't be anything like this.
Valve has been collaborating with Oculus this entire time, so yes, the community would be pretty comfortable with that, and why wouldn't they? Valve has proven its own worth and desire to consistently revolutionise the VR space. If EA, or Facebook, or Google, or anyone really, had a significant collaborative hand in the past year of oculus, I would be perfectly confident if they were absorbed by that collaborative hand.

The former portion of that argument is also invalid for me, as I wouldn't want anyone except valve to acquire Oculus anyway. EA, Google, activision, microsoft, wouldn't matter. The only companies, currently, which I have the confidence in fully realising VR in mid-term are Valve, Sony, and Oculus. Even if Sony were to only aquire Oculus to then fire a third of the team, I bet they could make a better product than facebook. Tough words to swallow, but can you really suggest otherwise?

You seem to forget that in some areas, Sony is further along in VR than Oculus. Morpheus looks dramatically more ergonomic than any developer or concept variant, and we already know that Morpheus was in development at the same time palmer formed Oculus.
You cannot predict the long term. No one can. Palmer definitely can't. Anyone claiming to know about the "long term" for VR at this point is actually talking about "mid-term". There are so many more variables at play now than there ever was. Facebook has to maintain its valuation, and answer to a further abstraction of investors. The consumer variant we might see in 2018 onwards is much more unclear a device than we could have envisioned last week. I can see some good and bad points stemming from this. Greater customisation earlier on will lead to rapid developments in some areas for the next couple of years, but that advantage will slow to a ceiling eventually; while bureaucracy will now drag back other areas, particularly long-term. All we can legitimately extrapolate is the roadmap for VR for the next 5 years or so. Even towards the tail end, things get shaky as Oculus diffuses into facebook.

It doesn't matter whether one "asks" the community to "give them time". If the community is unhappy with what's happening up top, they will stop supporting it, whether anyone thinks it's a good thing or not.

This isn't a problem you can PR out of like XBone, for the next year or two the vast majority of people buying this product will be the core gaming community, no matter where you think VR will go. The gaming community is fairly smart, but they aren't going to see the (positive) mid-term and (speculative) long term. And from my perspective, even those seeing the long term should know that it is pure speculation now, and even those who are willing to speculate will probably fall no better than 50/50 in expectations.

What amuses me are all the people complaining that it's been bought by big business, and now Sony's headset is our only hope for VR.

... DOWN WITH BIG BUSINESS, ALL HAIL BIG BUSINESS!

Antome said:
Zero said:
It's funny how Palmer has essentially "taken the blame" for this whole thing on the entire internet, when he hasn't been the majority holder in a long time.
The problem with this is that to my knowledge, no one at Oculus ever explicitly stated that Oculus was no longer autonomous after the venture-capital rounds. At best we knew palmer was giving some control to the venture capitalists, but there was never any hard numbers thrown around, to my knowledge. All in all this situation is at heart, an accountability situation.

Seriously?

You thought that a company started from nothing that has received nearly $100m in VC funding was still controlled by the young guy who started it in his garage?

In a situation like that there is no need to state explicitly that the founders are no longer in control it's as obvious as the nose on your face.

No one gives you $16m let alone $75m without taking control.

lovablechevy said:
oh... my... god...

ok, i JUST put 2 and 2 together tonight. palmer! you have totally blown my mind! i had heard about oculus, but never realized it was YOU! totally awesome!

i really can't wait to see what is in store for oculus now!

:D

*edit*

i was chatting with tibia when i had this realization. she wanted to post a message, but she's gone inactive and is having issues with it. so she asked me to post something for her.

Tibia says:

"Dang Palmer, I don't even know what to say. I was pretty shocked when I realized who founded Oculus. Congrats and best of luck with what comes next!"

Yes, this is FASCINATING, even right here on his own board people don't put 2 and 3 together! I met tons of people at GDC, at the IGN mixer party, at boeing (when I was in seattle) who knew oculus, but never heard of Palmer Luckey, and it just blows my mind, so I always make sure to tell them about the founder Palmer (and maybe I have selfish reasons for that)

But palmer has posted perhaps Annakin can bring balance to the force, and I really hope so, I have told him before, maybe not now, he is young, but when he is 30, 40, 50 maybe he can really help the rest of us from the inside, I hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5puB_7Q2n74

Here is Jaron Lanier on Facebook, and why we need to reform government to give the little people a better shot in these new economies where data mining rewards a few maybe?

ttsgeb said:
What amuses me are all the people complaining that it's been bought by big business, and now Sony's headset is our only hope for VR.

... DOWN WITH BIG BUSINESS, ALL HAIL BIG BUSINESS!
dat strawman

To continue form the previous page, in various ways, Sony is further along in VR than Oculus. Morpheus looks dramatically more ergonomic than any developer or concept variant, and we already know that Morpheus was in development at the same time palmer formed Oculus. When it comes to actual production, Sony already has all of the logistical supply chains in place. So even if they were behind in development, they can release much earlier in much higher capacity.

And I can't stress enough just how far forward Sony managed to pull in the design of their HMD. The press who used it all commented that Morpheus' ergonomics is leaps ahead of any other HMD out there, with the balanced weight amoungst other things creating a much more comfortable experience, which is vital for extended sessions IMO.

If you want to argue that the consumer variant will be better: if they don't show anything, they can't prove anything. And at this stage, the most evidence that we have is that DK2 is only marginally better specced and well under-designed. They don't want to tell us much about the consumer variant other than "it's better", which without hard numbers is just lip-service in my mind. It's either going to be 1080p or 4K, and unless they confirm one way or another we can at best assume it will be 1080p.

With that out of the way, I think we should stay more on the topic of facebook.

V8Griff said:
You thought that a company started from nothing that has received nearly $100m in VC funding was still controlled by the young guy who started it in his garage?
Would you care to enlighten me on how questioning a company's autonomy when no hard figures are ever released, is a bad thing? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but in my mind you are essentially suggesting that we should just ignore what goes on in big business and carry on our daily lives discussing and speculating over vague press releases.

While palmer is making all the right business decisions, I severely doubt he actually believes these decisions are with the community in mind. If it were, Oculus would have gone open-source, or at least ARM-esque well before the venture capital came along. Hardware, standards and software iterations could have been crowdsourced quite effectively in my mind, and would empower the VR community, rather than relegate it to "BIG BUSINESS".

There is still a chance for OpenVR of course, and if Zuckerberg is worth his salt he will try and move it along that route, which would be a net positive outcome, I guess.

williamepps said:
Yes, this is FASCINATING, even right here on his own board people don't put 2 and 3 together! I met tons of people at GDC, at the IGN mixer party, at boeing (when I was in seattle) who knew oculus, but never heard of Palmer Luckey, and it just blows my mind, so I always make sure to tell them about the founder Palmer (and maybe I have selfish reasons for that)...

well, you see, i don't have as much time to be active here anymore. i'm lucky if i have time to post my current work here to share it. lol. i'm a little busy planning my wedding and working on getting my soon to be wife immigrated so we can actually get married. and, i honestly am not the biggest fan of vr, so i never read anything on oculus. now, i'll probably follow it a bit closer, as palmer is the founder. :)

Antome said:

You're right in that I don't actually know if they publicly released any hard numbers, and I made my statement based off of private talks with Palmer way back when (and I could be wrong but I think he did give hard numbers in the MR chat at one point). Still, the argument is irrelevant because there is no need for hard numbers. No one gets that much money from venture capitalists and maintains control, common sense can tell you that much. Should that information have been made public? From a PR stand point it would be stupid. Why would you release a press release telling people that the founder no longer controls a majority of the shares? Especially when such information could be found out pretty easily anyway, I'm sure. It's not like he was willingly hiding it. This is how business works, and it's obvious that investors receive shares in the company, and after ~$100M in investment money, Palmer would clearly not be the majority shareholder.

Antome said:
Internal conferences and quotes from Zukerberg himself confirm at this point that facebook will start integrating facebook ads and services in the long term, which is a bad thing, in my opinion.
I don't have the quote on hand, but did he say will or was he referring to the possibilities to help relax FB shareholders? Regardless, integrating =/= forcing. That's key here. What, are you going to boycott Steam for letting you link your facebook and steam accounts?

Antome said:
Valve has been collaborating with Oculus this entire time, so yes, the community would be pretty comfortable with that, and why wouldn't they? Valve has proven its own worth and desire to consistently revolutionise the VR space. If EA, or Facebook, or Google, or anyone really, had a significant collaborative hand in the past year of oculus, I would be perfectly confident if they were absorbed by that collaborative hand.

You seemed to have missed my entire point. Valve is still considered "big business", and I was referring specifically to the people saying that Palmer selling out to big business at all was bad, because Oculus started out as a "grassroots" movement (the investment money received prior to the Kickstarter also throws that argument out the window). But yeah, thanks for reinforcing my point by saying everyone would be happy if Valve bought them out.

The former portion of that argument is also invalid for me, as I wouldn't want anyone except valve to acquire Oculus anyway. EA, Google, activision, microsoft, wouldn't matter. The only companies, currently, which I have the confidence in fully realising VR in mid-term are Valve, Sony, and Oculus. Even if Sony were to only aquire Oculus to then fire a third of the team, I bet they could make a better product than facebook. Tough words to swallow, but can you really suggest otherwise?

You seem to forget that in some areas, Sony is further along in VR than Oculus. Morpheus looks dramatically more ergonomic than any developer or concept variant, and we already know that Morpheus was in development at the same time palmer formed Oculus.

You can't just go ahead and throw out an entire portion of the argument as being invalid, since it wasn't even addressed to you, but whatever.

"Better" is subjective, especially when we don't have all the details. To me, an open platform would be "better", and currently, I still have a lot more confidence that Oculus, post Facebook, can accomplish that than if Sony would have acquired them. I also find it hard to believe that Morpheus was really in development that early, because (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), didn't Sony offer to hire Palmer and basically start their entire VR department after seeing the Rift prototype? This was right before Oculus was formally founded, so it seems strange to me that Sony would put everything together that quickly.

Antome said:
You cannot predict the long term. No one can. Palmer definitely can't. Anyone claiming to know about the "long term" for VR at this point is actually talking about "mid-term". There are so many more variables at play now than there ever was. Facebook has to maintain its valuation, and answer to a further abstraction of investors. The consumer variant we might see in 2018 onwards is much more unclear a device than we could have envisioned last week. I can see some good and bad points stemming from this. Greater customisation earlier on will lead to rapid developments in some areas for the next couple of years, but that advantage will slow to a ceiling eventually; while bureaucracy will now drag back other areas, particularly long-term. All we can legitimately extrapolate is the roadmap for VR for the next 5 years or so. Even towards the tail end, things get shaky as Oculus diffuses into facebook.
Antome said:
In other words, I see this as net-positive for short-term VR development, but progressively bad in the long term.
If I can't predict it, then neither can you. I was simply giving my opinion on what the acquisition means, same as you did. I think you certainly can't accurately say something like "Oculus diffuses into facebook" when neither company has given any indication that will happen. Looking at their history, even a direct competitor in social media that they bought out, Instagram, has not been diffused into facebook, so I'm not sure why you think they'd do it here.

Antome said:
It doesn't matter whether one "asks" the community to "give them time". If the community is unhappy with what's happening up top, they will stop supporting it, whether anyone thinks it's a good thing or not.

This isn't a problem you can PR out of like XBone, for the next year or two the vast majority of people buying this product will be the core gaming community, no matter where you think VR will go. The gaming community is fairly smart, but they aren't going to see the (positive) mid-term and (speculative) long term. And from my perspective, even those seeing the long term should know that it is pure speculation now, and even those who are willing to speculate will probably fall no better than 50/50 in expectations.
I think the core supporters have already settled down. If you take a look at general gaming sites, even one with notoriously bad commenters like Joystiq, you can see the overall sentiment and attitude turning around. Even on /r/Oculus, you can see them do an almost 180, now that all the circlejerkers from the front page have left. The mods actually posted an interesting link showing the increased traffic spikes from the front page, and how now it's starting to return to normal. Reddit in general is pretty flaky once the mob-mentality starts to wear off. Remember how well that EA boycott went? We'll see what ends up happening, but as long as Oculus and Facebook keep their word, I don't see it as reason to call the Rift dead.

It might not be common practise, but it's community-favourable practise to release something along the lines of "X has bought $x stake in company, now controlling Y% share in company. Z% is divided among employees(or not), and Y% is divided into y% among the board.

There you have it. They never had to say that palmer lost effective control, but they could have easily been transparent about expectations and structure for oculus moving forward, and it should have happened long ago. The lack of transparency from the corporate scale all the way down to the engineering scale has been completely uncalled for, particularly given the community-funded background in the first place.
I don't have the quote on hand, but did he say will or was he referring to the possibilities to help relax FB shareholders? Regardless, integrating =/= forcing. That's key here. What, are you going to boycott Steam for letting you link your facebook and steam accounts?
Zuckerberg said he could envision people visiting virtual worlds where they can buy goods and are served advertisements. nope.

Thanks for reinforcing my point by saying everyone would be happy if Valve bought them out.
And thanks for missing my point which is that Valve was collaborating with Oculus this entire time, so no one would be surprised if valve absorbed them in the end.
Your point was also if "Google, valve.." IIRC which I already disputed.

"Better" is subjective, especially when we don't have all the details. To me, an open platform would be "better", and currently ... I also find it hard to believe that Morpheus was really in development that early, because (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), didn't Sony offer to hire Palmer and basically start their entire VR department after seeing the Rift prototype? This was right before Oculus was formally founded, so it seems strange to me that Sony would put everything together that quickly.
I would love to see this "open platform" then, unless that is just speculation?

I recommend watching this if you want to argue towards the rift against Morpheus any further, to prevent misinformation.
Sony has been developing Gaming-centred VR since at least 2010, and were clearly converging into the contemporary VR design since at least 2011, using the same hardware design teams as those which worked on the Vita and co.

While bringing palmer on may have helped, they clearly weren't struggling, and would have if anything accelerated development. They were already on par, if not ahead.

I think the core supporters have already settled down. ... but as long as Oculus and Facebook keep their word, I don't see it as reason to call the Rift dead.
And I agree that we should stop dealing in absolutes here. Anyone thinking that the rift is going to leap forward or die is a fool, and those predicting positive or negative long-term results are speculating. My empirical-sentiment-ometer is still detecting general negative sentiment, so I don't know about what is happening for you. Maybe we could try and pool together and fit an exponential decay curve to negative sentiment?

If I can't predict it, then neither can you. I was simply giving my opinion on what the acquisition means, same as you did. I think you certainly can't accurately say something like "Oculus diffuses into facebook" when neither company has given any indication that will happen. Looking at their history, even a direct competitor in social media that they bought out, Instagram, has not been diffused into facebook, so I'm not sure why you think they'd do it here.
Indeed, we are both speculating, and I want to continue to stress that anyone here touting that their opinion is right is also speculating. But I am still unquestionably of the belief that the progress of VR could have come about far more effectively than it has currently, and as a result we won't be seeing any reasonable standards or ARM/open-esque community driven development for a long time, or even ever, and this would be unquestionably not community-centred.

Antome said:
Zuckerberg said he could envision people visiting virtual worlds where they can buy goods and are served advertisements. nope.

They probably didn't bring palmer on board because they were already on par, if not ahead.
Just because Zuckerberg would like that doesn't mean he'll transform the Rift into a dedicated shopping machine. A gaming/entertainment accessory that happens to also be able to function as a shopping machine makes more sense.

I believe Palmer told me that he had a job offer from Sony, but he turned it down.

Edited for future reference, I wasn't sure who did what in regards to that. Nonetheless we already have objective evidence, directly from Sony, showing that they were well into development before Oculus was an envisioned company. Since then they have been just as far along, and even further along in some cases, in many areas of the hardware.

This also bodes well for VR on the PS4, as VR must have been taken into consideration during its development. Games won't look ultra-stunning, but the PS4 has proven perfectly capable of pretty-good looking 1080p 60fps games. Having an integrated soundcard and some of the other quirks of the system also become more relevant when you consider Sony planned for the PS4 to evolve into immersive experiences.

Antome said:
It might not be common practise, but it's community-favourable practise to release something along the lines of "X has bought $x stake in company, now controlling Y% share in company. Z% is divided among employees(or not), and Y% is divided into y% among the board.

There you have it. They never had to say that palmer lost effective control, but they could have easily been transparent about expectations and structure for oculus moving forward, and it should have happened long ago. The lack of transparency from the corporate scale all the way down to the engineering scale has been completely uncalled for, particularly given the community-funded background in the first place.
That'd work in an ideal world, but in the real world full of sensationalist headlines, it'd be a bad idea as soon as one major publication says "OCULUS OWNER GIVES UP CONTROL OF THE COMPANY". Like I said, it's not hard for someone to figure out the numbers on their own with public information. Refer to this post, for example.

I'll agree that sounds like a terrible idea just by his wording, however I'm going to agree with vskid that it doesn't mean he's gonna force ads or micro transactions over everything.

And thanks for missing my point which is that Valve was collaborating with Oculus this entire time, so no one would be surprised if valve absorbed them in the end.
Your point was also if "Google, valve.." IIRC which I already disputed.
I didn't miss it, I just chose not to address it because it was unrelated to my original argument. Whether it would have been expected or not, Valve is still "big business" and an acquisition by them would mean Oculus would no longer be a "grassroots" movement or an "indie" company, which is an argument many people were using against the Facebook acquisition. I was simply stating that those same people would likely be happy if Valve had bought Oculus, which is hypocritical.

I would love to see this "open platform" then, unless that is just speculation? I recommend watching this if you want to argue towards the rift against Morpheus any further, to prevent misinformation.
Oh, has Sony announced PC support for consumers for Project Morpheus? Unless that's the case, I don't see how anyone could argue that Morpheus would be more open than the Rift. As much as Sony wants people to think otherwise, the PS4 is a closed platform, and the limitations of the PS4 will only hurt Morpheus. It's my understanding that Oculus never intended to force people to use their software, and Palmer's comments make it seem like that's not about to change.

edit: I see now you might have interpreted "open platform" to mean a truly open platform; I should have used "more open". Sorry about that.

Sony has been developing Gaming-centred VR since at least 2010, and were clearly converging into the contemporary VR design since at least 2011, using the same hardware design teams as those which worked on the Vita and co.

While bringing palmer on may have helped, they clearly weren't struggling, and would have if anything accelerated development. They were already on par, if not ahead.
I was simply going by the information I recalled back when Palmer was offered the job by Sony. It's entirely possible I misunderstood, or Sony mislead Palmer to make him believe he'd have more control then he actually would have if he took the job. I don't think anyone can blame me for not entirely believing Sony though.

And I agree that we should stop dealing in absolutes here. Anyone thinking that the rift is going to leap forward or die is a fool, and those predicting positive or negative long-term results are speculating. My empirical-sentiment-ometer is still detecting general negative sentiment, so I don't know about what is happening for you. Maybe we could try and pool together and fit an exponential decay curve to negative sentiment?
Agreed.

Indeed, we are both speculating, and I want to continue to stress that anyone here touting that their opinion is right is also speculating. But I am still unquestionably of the belief that the progress of VR could have come about far more effectively than it has currently, and as a result we won't be seeing any reasonable standards or ARM/open-esque community driven development for a long time, or even ever, and this would be unquestionably not community-centred.
I think something that hasn't been discussed often is that by Oculus now having the resources to better compete with Sony, as well as now being part of a large corporation, we could see more big companies willing to jump in and take a piece of the pie as long as their is no clear market leader.

I think we can all definitely agree though, the road ahead will certainly be very interesting and one worth following.

Back