Oculus Rift with this = AMAZING!

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't want to have to run around to play a game.

Good lord I work all day and walk all day. Don't wanna have to do that while playing games.

I'll pass.

Don't like that they said it's mapped to keyboard strokes. That means it's not analog in nature.

Very true Hail, but I still think the concept is cool! :p

grossaffe said:
Don't like that they said it's mapped to keyboard strokes. That means it's not analog in nature.

I didn't realize that... I hope they will change that.

grossaffe said:

JanVR (The guy who made it) over at MTBS3D has stated that he plans to do away with the mapped keyboard strokes eventually.

ShockSlayer said:
The concept is neat, but if you think about it it's gimmick level is on par with most Wii accessories.

SS

It's more for the immersion factor. I own a rift, and playing games with it is pretty immersive, but I'm still just sitting in my chair. when I actually to move my feet and all that it definitely feels more real. So if you were playing a game that had a lot of walking, running, etc.. you would definitely feel more in the game.

Standalone I agree with you, it's dumb to play Halo running around instead of nudging a joystick. But paired with VR, I think it's a game-changer. One of the big obstacles to real virtual reality is virtual motion- I may want to play VR frisbee, but I can't need a whole real field to do it. If this is another step in the direction of existing in a virtual world, rather than just looking at one, good for them.

I haven't actually looked into the Omni for more than 5 minutes though, so I can't speak to its actual functionality.

I think omni shoes are where people should be focusing their energy personally.

hailrazer said:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't want to have to run around to play a game.

Good lord I work all day and walk all day. Don't wanna have to do that while playing games.

I'll pass.

Haha this so much, I play video games tired as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* these days, I can't fathom the thought of any more movement

Joeyjoe9876 said:
So if you were playing a game that had a lot of walking, running, etc.. you would definitely feel more in the game.
You would definitely feel tired. :lol:

Immersion is completely based on the game. Games good? You're gonna feel immersed regardless. Game's meh? Strapping on a bunch of clunky hardware isn't gonna fix that. Sure, it has that neat "wow" factor just like every other new whatever and you enjoy it for a bit, but it wears off quick. It's like riding the same rollercoaster over and over. It's amazing the first couple times, then it just gets repetitive and tiring.

I mean, I keep comparing it to the Wii because that's what I remember being the "big new revolutionary way to play games" that everyone raved about...and then not too far into it's lifespan it's "god Dang the wiimote sucks I miss my gamecube controller." I mean if you want to enjoy playing a game, and you want to feel like you are really there immersed in that world, let me introduce you to this thing called "sports." :p

I'm not really aiming this rant at anyone in particular, it's just the whole internet's got this massive hard-on for VR nowadays and I think it's unwarranted. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

SS

Joeyjoe9876 said:
JanVR (The guy who made it) over at MTBS3D has stated that he plans to do away with the mapped keyboard strokes eventually.
If they can get developers to support using it with the rift so you can look one way while having 360 degrees of movement freedom and analog traversal speed.
I'd be curious how well it'd work for running, too. It could break immersion when you hold a run-button while walking to change speed. Also wondering how well it deals with strafing.

I don't think this type of system is that good for mainstream gaming, to be honest. There is a ton of walking in most games. I usually game to relax, not exert myself. For certain simulations and demonstrations, though, it would be the flax.

ShockSlayer said:
I'm not really aiming this rant at anyone in particular, it's just the whole internet's got this massive hard-on for VR nowadays and I think it's unwarranted. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
SS

Yeah you might be alone in feeling that way ;)

Having tried out the rift first hand. The attention VR is getting is very warranted. Trust me.

I would enjoy this with a rail shooter, where you have to just dodge attacks by swiftly moving and fire back, but for something like Skyrim? No thanks.

Tchay said:
Yeah you might be alone in feeling that way ;)

Having tried out the rift first hand. The attention VR is getting is very warranted. Trust me.
I have used a rift. For all the hype I was expecting something way better than what I used, honestly.

SS

Yea I have a rift and am not overly impressed. Interesting idea but years way from any practical use.
The screen would have to be much higher resolution before it in any way becomes immersive. And I'm talking three times 1080p because of how close it is to your face and how magnified it is.

Right now it's a futuristic tech demo of things to come in 5-10 years. IMO

XCVG said:
I don't think this type of system is that good for mainstream gaming, to be honest. There is a ton of walking in most games. I usually game to relax, not exert myself. For certain simulations and demonstrations, though, it would be the flax.
This

Although I would want a more advanced setup for simulations... Like a body harness and a 6DOF pit with a larger omnimill... But that's not consumer grade, now is it?

Also, hail and SS, it *is* a dev kit. It's just a rough hardware spec for programmers to work with. I'm pretty sure that they are actively working on getting a better screen in the thing, and having seen all the hype for it, I think they'll have a lot more pull than they did for the dev kit. I think the hype is going to continue to be their biggest problem, though... People don't actually make sense of the spec before deciding they want one.

XCVG said:

This isn't really targeted towards mainstream gamers really, more towards VR enthusiasts :p

Back