Noob needs help :P!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charburg, Dec 31, 2012.

1. charburg

charburg Newb

Hello! I need some help, well, knowing exactly where to start when building handhelds - what should I make first? What parts do I need? How much will it all cost? My aim is to assemble a portable GameCube.
        I am not completely lost when it comes to mechanics, and I am pretty good using input and output video RBG cords. I am also a..."somewhat" programmer (I know basic, some of Java).

Thanks!
    ~charburg

2. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Well-Known Member

Welcome!!! Well first of all this hobby is very expensive so have a lot of cash on hand. Depending on what you want to build, costs will vary. If you really don't know what you are doing then don't start with a GameCube Portable. You are better starting out with a NES or SNES, then advance from their. However my first portable I am working on is a GameCube and its going along great so far, so it all depends on personal preference. Sites for parts are like eBay, Amazon, Digikey, Mouser, Alibaba/Aliexpress, and many others. Also it's good that you know some video input and output, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Research as much as you can before actually starting.

3. charburg

charburg Newb

Thanks! This seems like a great project to do with someone else...

Any tutorials on building a handheld SNES? (This question goes to anyone :p)
    EDIT: I have a DS with only the side with the controls, and I am curious if this will work. Thanks!

4. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Well-Known Member

You are not going to find any full tutorials or guides to make any portable. Most of the info is in guides in pieces and you have to put it all together. As for DS controls, probably not. I mean you could probably use the buttons like the dpad and the a b x y buttons, but it's probably easier to just get a SNES controller. Look in the SNES section on here to get started.