Noah's First Portable

watsug said:
The charger is 500mA and your batteries capacity is 8000mAh. That means it can take 16 hours to fully charge your batteries if the rating is correct. Many manufacturers label their batteries with inflated ratings, so it could be lower.

Did you have the power switch switched correctly? The charger has no led indicator?
I have it switched to off. I followed SS charge and play diagram. When I was referring to the battery indicator' I meant the one connected to my batteries. Do you perhaps know of a charger that could charge my batteries better, at a pretty cheap price? Thanks! :)

That looks like it ought to work, with a charging time of roughly 5 hours. Assuming they're not lying on their "datasheet."
With DIY applications like this I'd never charge batteries overnight, always keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't burst into flames or something.

Prog said:
That looks like it ought to work, with a charging time of roughly 5 hours. Assuming they're not lying on their "datasheet."
With DIY applications like this I'd never charge batteries overnight, always keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't burst into flames or something.
Thanks! Do you perhaps know of a charger that could probably charge them faster?

BACK FROM THE DEAAAAADD!!!

Alright so last week I purchased a new console after coming to the conclusion that my last one was dead (btw thanks to everyone who helped me in my last thread!) This time I'm gonna test everything one step at a time.

So far I've finished relocating the cart slot this afternoon.
esuctf.jpg

YUS!

Donkey Kong
2cg9aq.jpg

More updates soon!

Last edited:
Hey Noah, glad to hear you're moving.

Found the pinout.
274-246.jpg

So these are the connections you would make:
1 Ground
2 Left Audio from audio amp
3 Left Audio to left portable speaker
4 Right Audio to right portable speaker
5 Right Audio from audio amp

When you plug headphones in, 2 disconnects from 3 and instead goes to your headphones, and same with 5 and 4.
Someone please verify!!! But I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Not sure about the controller issue, never heard of only c buttons working. Did you try another controller?

Last edited:
Hey guys, small update.

I've got the power switch to work and everything. The only problem I have right now is that I'm not receiving 3.3v out of my regulator. I have everything wired as such
Regulator:
25rgpr6.jpg

(Looks a bit sloppy, but it works because I'm getting 7.4v)

To console:
2h72uz4.jpg

From my multimeter, I see I'm getting 7.4 on power, but no 3.3v.
All help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Wow, it is amazing how far you've come on this! But I have a question to you and any other people that have made a portable N64. Did you buy the parts altogether, or just get the parts needed to start, then gradually get more parts as you get farther into the project, because I want to start, but I don't what if I should buy the stuff altogether, or over time.

Mostly over time. Whenever I make a portable I don't usually have a deadline or a goal date to get it completed by unless it's a commission. I'll be working and realize I need a part, order it and wait a couple of days until it gets here to continue. There are always other things you can work on in the meantime as well such as your case or wiring up the controller.

Mostly over time. Whenever I make a portable I don't usually have a deadline or a goal date to get it completed by unless it's a commission. I'll be working and realize I need a part, order it and wait a couple of days until it gets here to continue. There are always other things you can work on in the meantime as well such as your case or wiring up the controller.
Ok, thanks for the reply. That's a good idea.

It's been awhile since I posted here! I've been busy with school and other stuff, but I'm back to finish this. I've done a lot of work over the months, and have started to install the components into the case:
o6y5u9.jpg

2mhfz9l.jpg

So far it's looking pretty sloppy inside.
Should have this thing done in a week or two!

Back