No Video signal after sega lcd replacement mod

gnounc

I tried replacing the lcd screen on my sega nomad as per the youtube videos and
http://the-nomad-junkyard.blogspot.com/ ... d-mod.html
this link here.

The screen powers up fine, and shows av1, but I'm not getting any video.
No sega logo, no game starting up.
Just av1 and a yellow line on the left of the screen.
I've checked my soldering job, its not bad, no bridges, no giant glops of solder,
No miles of bare wire.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Got any pictures? A few things I have come across doing nomad mods:

I'll get the silliest one out of the way first, is the cart inserted properly? They only fit in one way when the unit is closed, but when you are testing with just the motherboards out and twisted every which way its easy to put the game in backwards.

Test the pinouts yourself on the screen you are using. It's impossible to get the exact same screen someone else had in their tutorial build, so its best to make sure of the connections to avoid problems like this.

When testing, have an A/V out cable connected to another video source so you can make sure the problem is with the new screen and not the nomad itself.

Thank you for your response. I put the case back on, so the cartridge was definately facing the correct way, I checked multiple carts, and blew on the contacts.
The same cartridges were working perfectly fine before the removal of the original screen.

The lcd screen has been hooked up to a snes, a cart modded sega radica, and a retron3, its confirmed in working order.

I can get some pics up in a minute of the board.

**edit

IMG_20130418_010134.jpg

and

IMG_20130418_010437.jpg

the white wire was originally tried where the red dot is on the right side of the board.

Your picture looks a bit hard to see but I think your video wire is in the wrong spot. Here is a close up of one of my boards:
nomadvideo.jpg

Your wiring looks a little precarious too; might want to clean that up a bit to prevent shorts and/or the wire falling off of the connection.

Ok, worked with it a bit more, resoldered my yellow wire up one, (those two connect, and the youtube video says thats a fine place to solder to)

Then I hooked up the battery pack and started messing around.

Its either the copper flap shorting, or its the ribbon cable being loose.
Either way, the video is working intermittenly now : )

Thank you for your help

////////////edit

actually I'm beginning to think its a low battery problem. The low battery light is on.
Also the screen was staying on longer between flashes, then it started staying off longer.
Im too flat busted to buy batteries and I dont have the apropriate dc power supply, so I guess I'll find out in a week : (

/////edit2
Multimeter shows a flat 7. So I think that solves that.

Glued in the new screen, its misaligned.
the screen assembly is too thick to close inside the nomad.
and lastly, the video error appears to be from a loose cartridge connection.

So I guess i get to try to reflow the cart slot, melt the glue and reposition the screen,
and look for something on the lcd board i can relocate.

I'm not looking forward to it.

What LCD screen and driver board did you use? (LCD model number, where you bought it, pictures of the board.) Other people might want to avoid using that one.

Back