nm

Re: GeniMini my portable Genesis

I like it. It's clean, in a comfortable case, and best of all, it's a sega system.

Slick! I like it very much. Much more than the one LOB made in the same case. It's the buttons!

snowpenguin said:
LOB made his SNES in an AG-85, not the AG-54.

Sorry my mistake it is a AG-85 case. I have so many different ones I wrote down the wrong #.

I like the buttons. kind of a retro electronics feel to it.

EVIL NOD said:
just been on ebay and found the Tact switches with buttons.
just go here
I guess you can ask the seller for different colors, cause greeen is fugly. :p

hailrazer said:
EVIL NOD said:
just go here

If they had red, green, blue, and yellow, you could make SNES style buttons with no paint! (Pal style, but if I ever make a SNESp, I wanna use pal buttons.)

Basement_Modder said:
hailrazer said:
EVIL NOD said:
just go here

If they had red, green, blue, and yellow, you could make SNES style buttons with no paint! (Pal style, but if I ever make a SNESp, I wanna use pal buttons.)

I personally hate tacts, but I would buy those just for the buttons. In my opinion tacts are no good for gaming. Great for a lot of other devices, even preferable to squishy buttons on some, but no good for gaming. Well, they are okay for start/select, but I would not use them as action buttons. Also, I would use SFC buttons, because they are the same as PAL buttons but easier to find.

I actually prefer tacts for gaming, but only on portables. Home consoles are squishy all the way! :awesome:

I think clicky tacts re best for pre-n64. Anything n64 and newer I could not imagine playing without mushy tacts.

Looking at your pics, you used the IC of the Genesis controller and just soldered tacts onto it. I'm doing the same right now, and I think that's the hardest part. I couldn't break my controller into pieces, cause it just kind of crumbed when I tried to cut it. :gonk:

zeturi said:
Looking at your pics, you used the IC of the Genesis controller and just soldered tacts onto it. I'm doing the same right now, and I think that's the hardest part. I couldn't break my controller into pieces, cause it just kind of crumbed when I tried to cut it. :gonk:

Yea that's what I did. I just used a cutting wheel on my Dremel and cut it as close to the IC and resistors as I could. I had to rewire a few spots but it wasn't very hard.

I just score and snap with an x-acto. It works, but you have to score on both sides, and pretty deep. Usually mine are crooked or uneven, but usable.

hailrazer said:
Yea that's what I did. I just used a cutting wheel on my Dremel and cut it as close to the IC and resistors as I could. I had to rewire a few spots but it wasn't very hard.

My preferred method as well. I'll usually wrap masking tape around the board to define the edge. That also prevents some of the rough edges from the Dremel, and gives me a straight line as reference.

A lot of the newer, cheaper electronics have a very thin, flexible PCB that can be trimmed with good kitchen scissors. I discovered that last night.

Wow. That is really a very good job! And you made it so fast. Those buttons are funny but I don't know if I can really complain.

Back