nm

hailrazer

Frequent Poster
Re: Replacing the Nomad screen

Just wanted to post a pic of what the screen normally looks like with the regular Nomad screen:
(not my pic)

NomadOldScreen.JPG

That really is awesome, a lot of people have had the idea, but were all too lazy. :lol:

Pity the gamegear is not as easy to get video out of...

Not shabby! Combine this with an LED mod for great life!

Also, is that screen composite only, or can you get RGB or S-video into it? Although the contrast and response is nicer on that screen, the original screen did have a much clearer image in terms of definition and clarity due to the nature of RGB signals VS composite signals.

Bibin said:

Also, is that screen composite only, or can you get RGB or S-video into it? Although the contrast and response is nicer on that screen, the original screen did have a much clearer image in terms of definition and clarity due to the nature of RGB signals VS composite signals.

You don't need a Led mod. It only consumes 90mA.

Yes it is a composite screen. And I don't know if it will do RGB or S-Video and the truth is on a 3.5" screen it wouldn't be noticeable enough to matter.

And no the Nomad screen did NOT have a clearer image in definition and clarity, not by a long shot. The Nomad screen while at the time was thought to be great, suffered from screen blur and poor color. This screen blows it out of the water in clarity, contrast, color, and resolution, even with "just" composite.

Seriously until you try it you won't know what you've been missing :)

hailrazer said:
Bibin said:

You don't need a Led mod. It only consumes 90mA.

Yes it is a composite screen. And I don't know if it will do RGB or S-Video and the truth is on a 3.5" screen it wouldn't be noticeable enough to matter.

And no the Nomad screen did NOT have a clearer image in definition and clarity, not by a long shot. The Nomad screen while at the time was thought to be great, suffered from screen blur and poor color. This screen blows it out of the water in clarity, contrast, color, and resolution, even with "just" composite.

Seriously until you try it you won't know what you've been missing :)

I can see the lack of clarity from your picture even. On the Sonic & Knuckles title logo, look at the areas between the blue and the yellow - there are obvious color artifacts. That's what I'm talking about. The original nomad screen, while slow in response, *was* more detailed in that edges don't get artifacts between each other. That's all I'm saying; if it would be possible to feed S-video or RGB to the screen it'd look very nice.

Bibin said:
I can see the lack of clarity from your picture even. On the Sonic & Knuckles title logo, look at the areas between the blue and the yellow - there are obvious color artifacts. That's what I'm talking about. The original nomad screen, while slow in response, *was* more detailed in that edges don't get artifacts between each other. That's all I'm saying; if it would be possible to feed S-video or RGB to the screen it'd look very nice.

The edges didn't "seem" to have artifacts because the screen was so blurry.

Seriously, do the mod before judging. I guarantee you'll change your mind.

hailrazer said:
Bibin said:

The edges didn't "seem" to have artifacts because the screen was so blurry.

Seriously, do the mod before judging. I guarantee you'll change your mind.

RGB signals do not produce these artifacts. Blurry as it may be with motion, I can see in your picture that the text in the lower-right corner is blending with its own outline! flaxty as the LCD was before, colors stayed within their boundaries.

That said, apparently that screen can be fed S-video, which would change everything.

Bibin said:
RGB signals do not produce these artifacts. Blurry as it may be with motion, I can see in your picture that the text in the lower-right corner is blending with its own outline! multi-layered as the LCD was before, colors stayed within their boundaries.

Colors may have stayed within their own boundaries but the screen looked as sharp as viewing an hd tv through glasses coated in dried urine.

Which one would you rather have:

This one?

nomad7.JPG

Or this one?

sk

The Nomad screen is a POS

Nuff said.

If only you could replace the Turbo-Express's screen...

But yeah, that mod looks really good. Also, I thought that S&K wouldn't work on a Nomad.

I know I'm getting face-palmed for this, but I have to ask. Why can't the nomad screen be used for other systems?

You guys are saying it can accept rgb, so.... I'll take wild guess and say the signals are proprietary. But it they were, then how come you say an RGB or S-video screen can be hooked up to a nomad?

EDIT: And I do like the replacement screen. It's the same one I was going to use with my genesis portable.

My nomad looks nothing like the picture you have.

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

This has two LEDs as a backlight, by the way.

I'm not trying to undermine your mod at all; it's still a good mod. I'm just saying it could be greatly improved with S-video. At that point, I'd consider it an improvement. Until then, I'd prefer the RGB screen.

Now, the Game Gear screen is a total disaster.

Bibin said:
I'm just saying it could be greatly improved with S-video. At that point, I'd consider it an improvement. Until then, I'd prefer the RGB screen.

OK have fun with the blur-fest. :lol:

I can't see how anyone would look at these two screens and prefer the bottom one though.

nomad7.JPG

IMG_1501.jpg

Bibin said:
Have fun with making things up!

The edges didn't "seem" to have artifacts because the screen was so blurry

You know what, nevermind.

Could you please just leave this thread alone. It's a how to thread not a you-know-what measuring contest.

Obviously you have nothing constructive to add. Start a new thread about the wonderful Nomad screen if you want to.

Back