Nexus 7 home screen

zharrhen

I got a new android nexus 7 tablet recently, and I found that it can't do landscape on the home screen, but it will do landscape anywhere else. I wanted to do landscape, so I got an application that lets me lock my screen in whatever orientation I want. I turned it to landscape, and I found out that Google put a landscape view script on the tablet, but they didn't hard-wire it into the system to rotate. Does anybody know why Google would do that.

If you just need the background to be landscape, go into paint, rotate the image 90' counterclockwise.
Problem solved.

as far as why they would do this, it's the same reason I would: to mess with you, specifically.

I know from a first experience that if you root the device, the roms for it will allow for rotation of the screen anywhere.

A friend I used to work with asked me to root his nexus 7 once I showed him that you can put Linux on it.

Not exactly, it's based off the Linux kernel. However it's different enough to be called a separate OS.

Android is as much linux as OSX Mavericks is openBSD, or Windows 7 is DOS. (Actually the OSX/BSD comparison might be wrong, because, for all I know, the whole BSD layer might be open to Darwin calls, whereas only the most basic integrated shell commands from nix are available on stock android, and half of them don't work right even at that.)

Back