Need advice for making a NES-SNES-N64 system

off

Hello, im making a NES-SNES-N64-in-one-console.
Since I am not very skilled with electronics Im keeping it simple with two adapters. And a switch or two to change system. I probably have that part figgured out. But I need some advice how to connect the audio/video signals to one outlet.

The idea is to use composite signals from all systems. Please tell me if it will work:
12av.jpg

NES only has mono audio but I can just connect it to both audio outlets, right?
The idea with the diodes is to prevent electricity going into the PCBs for the two units not beeing used, at least prevent one direction since I have to connect the ground as well.
Do I need the diodes at all? If I do what type of voltage/amp should they have?
Can I connect ground to only one of the PCB, or do I need all three?

Is there a better way to do it? Keeping in mind it has to require no special knowledge.
Please tell me if you know of a multi console system tutorial, that could help.

No diodes. I'm pretty sure those would *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up the signal quite badly, but they might just do nothing. My own limited experimentation shows that you can probably just tie all the video lines together, but audio may cause problems depending on the consoles' output circuitry. For that, you'll probably need to build a mixer. It's just a few resistors and a recovery amplifier.

This is assuming there's some sort of lockout to prevent the user from switching on more than one at once. That's something I haven't tried, but it'll probably cause problems.

And I hope you don't mean you're going to use multiple AC adaptors. Both the NES and the SNES use 5V internally. Pull power from the N64's 12V line. A 7805 will get pretty hot dropping 7V, but it should work if you have a decent heatsink.

I agree it is kinda lame to use two ac adapters, wouldent mind getting rid of the original NES brick however my skills are nonexistent in voltage regulating. What about the ampereage, the original is 1,3A the N64 12V is 0,8A will that work with NES/SNES?

You are probably right about the signal quality, maybe I could use some electrical switches instead of the diodes, just have to figgure out how to activate them...

The NES pulls under half an amp, I think the SNES is a little more. It should be fine as long as you're not running all three at the same time.

If you want to switch the signals rather than mix them, the best way to go is probably with a hacked up AV switcher. If I remember correctly, that's the approach used on the Super Genintari.

Great, Ill try it and see if the SNES works with .8A, and build it using N64 adapter only.
Maybe use a 9V regulator if I find that and connects straight to the outlets.

Im thinking of switching the diodes with relays like this one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-pins-p ... 80590.html

The specs are on that page, I cant figgure out how much amps they are built for. Will the 12V .8A work with a 12V relay like that?

Got myself a second opinon on the power issue. That guy didnt think it would work. Also found a source saying SNES wants 0,85A.
Looks like two adapters needed. Doh!

Good idea, but to much regulating for my skill set would be required.
Will do a draw test and if its over .8A use a second adapter.
Whats a good spot to test the draw on the SNES board? Looks like my multimeter only can handle 10A DC, adapter is AC.

All you need to do is provide a 3.3V line for the N64. The other two consoles can simply be fed the 12VDC in where the power adaptor was. Search the N64 forums, there's plenty of info on it. Or just buy one of these, it's pretty much foolproof, but expensive.

This is rather unrelated to all of the other comments, but there is a different and easier way to do this, get a tristar 64 and a famicon to nes adapter. the tristar plugs into a n64 and it allows you to play famicon, snes, and n64 games. the adapter will change that to nes, snes, and n64. It would probably be easier but much more expensive, these things are rare and around $200 each.
but on the upside, you could make it less bulky and more reliable.

zharrhen said:
This is rather unrelated to all of the other comments, but there is a different and easier way to do this, get a tristar 64 and a famicon to nes adapter. the tristar plugs into a n64 and it allows you to play famicon, snes, and n64 games. the adapter will change that to nes, snes, and n64. It would probably be easier but much more expensive, these things are rare and around $200 each.

I've got an even easier way to do it. Buy one of those $100 Android media boxes and plug in a random controller. Seriously, though there's merit to the idea it's not the same. The tristar relies on clone hardware and from what I've read actually isn't that reliable. I've also never, ever seen one in the wild. And around here, we basically do stuff Because We Can. I don't mean to come across as excessively harsh, though I probably did.

zharrhen said:

Interseting, never heard of those. But as you say expensive and I kinda like the idea of using the original hardware.

I finally have all the components needed (I think). Just need some solder remover and to figgure out all the details for the enclosing as well.

Sheesh, this is little project dragging out.
Enclosing is a not fun, never built anything like this before. If I just glue it all, it will be a nightmare to tamper with it later.

Looks like this, trying to position the connectors and other stuff, but really i should solder it first to see if it will work:
bild1.jpg

Hello all,

This is my first post on here, but when I discovered this magical place I had only seen portable mods being done (all of which were pretty amazing seeing for the first time), and wanted to try to build something like this; only house all of it inside of a computer tower similar to:
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/new ... TS?$S300W$

My question is would it be possible, and/or practical to use a computer power supply to run a fan on the tower for cooling as well as to use for power for the consoles (I am thinking of doing the NES, SNES, N64 and GC in one case if possible)? Has anyone ever done that method

I'm basically just trying to get an idea on weather I want to make something like this as my first mod or to jump right into making a portable and I feel like this would be much easier to do to get my feet wet.

I'm curious as to how exactly you want it to operate. One system at a time?
Is it possible to turn them on at the same time? Three position selector, then power switch? Then three resets? Let me know exactly how you want it to act.

Also look up nintenduo by lovablechevy. This is a nice combo system using all original hardware. The n64 is pretty tiny, it should be to hard to get it into a compact case with the rest.

I suggest extending the SNES port up a bit in the assembly, bringing it to a similar height as the n64. The new cartridges are huge and can be recessed further into the system.

naimlessone said:
Hello all,

This is my first post on here, but when I discovered this magical place I had only seen portable mods being done (all of which were pretty amazing seeing for the first time), and wanted to try to build something like this; only house all of it inside of a computer tower similar to:

My question is would it be possible, and/or practical to use a computer power supply to run a fan on the tower for cooling as well as to use for power for the consoles (I am thinking of doing the NES, SNES, N64 and GC in one case if possible)? Has anyone ever done that method

I'm basically just trying to get an idea on weather I want to make something like this as my first mod or to jump right into making a portable and I feel like this would be much easier to do to get my feet wet.

179 posts

Wut

legofan623 said:
naimlessone said:
Hello all,

179 posts

Wut

This was in 2014 so it could of been his first post then...

In any event I would love to know how this ended up if he got it working.

That was my fault. I bumped the topic. I was between stuff and didn't read the dates. I must have thought it was a newer post because I was checking them at the time and must have gotten interested in the title. Anyways sorry

Back