Nathan Barnatt Portable Gamecube

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so finally one of my commissioned gamecubes got published on the net.
This one was for Nathan Barnatt.

Basically he wanted it to look like a stock gamecube and controller, so I built it in 2 halves. 1 half was the stock gamecube with battery, the 2nd half was the controller and screen. I built a custom belt loop so that he could have it around his waist.

He's sending it back for a few tweaks. The wire connecting the two halves has given him some problems, so I'm swapping it out for something a bit better and shorter, and I'm also going to look into building some kind of dock so that the screen/controller half sits on the gamecube or a hook to go on his belt (he had to use velcro for the video, I'm dreading how removing it is going to affect the paintwork, but I guess its his to ruin)

I did tell you guys it was unique.

I'm ready for the flax to start rolling in. Who's up first?

EDIT: Yay, I got my credit in the description.

It is very real. Took a lot longer than I would have liked to make because of its complexity (which is ironic considering its actually very simple)

I underestimated how hard it is to do a portable in 2 halves. It would have been quicker and easier to build a normal one.

That is incredibility well done man! Would you happen to have any up close pictures? I would love to see them.

Excellent job, and the idea of having two parts is definitely interesting, I kinda like it.

Yeah I've got some close up pictures and a few personal videos with it, but because of the pending changes that are to be made, I think I'm going to keep them under my hat until Nathan has done the talking classics episode about the portable gamecube.

EnterTheHatrix said:
Yeah I've got some close up pictures and a few personal videos with it, but because of the pending changes that are to be made, I think I'm going to keep them under my hat until Nathan has done the talking classics episode about the portable gamecube.
Yeah I get'cha, can't wait till he shows it off some more!

Now that's a pretty Dang spiffy idea...

Aaaaand adding to the megasticky.

J.D said:
Wait...so the video signal is carried through the controller port?

Kinda.. What's actually happened is that the controller port was removed and I hollowed out the plastic connector, drilled a thicker hole in the end and put a custom wire with about 15 cores through to carry video, power and controller signals. A lot of the wires are redundant in case something catastrophically bad went wrong, in which case the wire could be doubled up or replaced. All of the wiring had to be routed through the gamecube through that small hole and down the wire.

Unfortunately a fault has developed now so I'm having it back to fix the fault (the wire got twisted once or twice too many times and power doesn't seem to be getting in to the controller anymore) so I'm going to be replacing the whole wire with a shorter one, a 16 wire shielded cable with a connector.

I had originally asked Nathan to splurge on out a custom wire and connector but for cost saving reasons we decided it would be cheaper to just hard wire in the two halves since they wouldn't typically need to ever be disconnected. As a result, that controller port is actually welded in place and can't be disconnected. Unfortunately the decision has caught up with us, so now we go down the expensive route of replacing the wire with a better wire + connector (you probably saw a topic I made about it a few weeks ago)

Nice. That unit(even though I only saw it from a distance) looks professional. I wouldn't expect anything less from Hatrix! ;)

SS

And to think, I was about to post this on the site, asking about it! (Dang, I love talking classics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back