My PS1 Portable worklog thingy

Discussion in 'PlayStation 1' started by iamtyler, Sep 16, 2010.

1. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

A few minutes ago I bought this:
    [​IMG]
    In the morning (probably) I'm going to take my psx 9001 :dah:
    [​IMG]
    start work on a portable PlayStation :D
    Have had this in my mind for a while so while I was talking with my friend Geni we came up with a name for it...
    The ChewbacaStation! :D
    [​IMG]

2. Hermaphroditus

Hermaphroditus Well-Known Member

Re: My PSX Portable worklog thingy

Good luck on it! What'll you be using for a case?
    Also, for future reference it's likely a PS1 SCPH-9001. A PSX is an entireley different console all together. As seen here.

3. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

I didnt know that that even existed lol :dah: but yea its a PS1 SCPH 9001 I just wanted to shorten it.
    Im honestly not sure what im going to use for a case yet.. I may commission someone to build me a case to my specifications. I kinda would like to do something like an NDS though.
    If worst comes to it and I have no money to make/have made a nice case ill hot-glue everything to some cheap tuperware lol

4. J.D

J.D No Stranger To Love

The original PS1 is like bigger then the original SNES. A laptop would seem like a more realistic portable imo.

5. Twilight Wolf

Twilight Wolf Frequent Poster

The 9001s actually have a fairly small motherboard, comparable to a PSone.

I think the PSone still draws less power, though, and it has a smaller disc drive. That's why it's more popular for portables.

6. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

Yes. The mobo is only like 7.25x3.75 inches on the 9000 series. Not very big at all.
    i didnt mean i was going to try and shove it into an NDS lol thats just absurd.. Even for me ;)
    just the whole style of it is what im thinking. You know screen flips down on top of the disc tray. I guess a small portable DVD player would be a better definition.
    Im going to try for the following size: 8"L x 5"W x 4.5"H
    (i think thats what i figured it out to... All my notes are stuck in my tool box thing and i dont feel like fishing them out)

7. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

Got one of these just now.
    Needed for the 3.7v line :)
    Can't really do much ATM. Screen wont come for atleast another 7 days (probably longer) and no money to buy batteries. :D
    Well until then (then being money to go down and get batteries or my screen comes in) Ill just learn as much as I can so I dont screw up the MoBo :dahroll:
    Also I was looking at the AG-85 from PolyCase for the enclosure...
    Since the screen is only going to be 3.5" would it be good to keep the screen in the OG casing and have it flip down into it where the "graphic" area is?
    OR should I go with 1 of the ZN-45 and one of the ZN-40 kinda make a laptop/portable DVD player?
    All constructive input and critisism is apreciated b(^_\\d

8. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

I have mostly everything I need ordered. added priced rounded to nearest $.25
    Heres a list of the parts Im going to use:
    PlayStation 1 MotherBoard revision SCPH-9001 $5
    a generic Dual-Shock from DealExtreme $7.75
    An A9094108 Diatec Lava-Grey M large sized enclosure and an A9194132 matching clear covering from OKW Enclosures $0 through their sample program
    A Texas Instruments PTH08080WAZ step down regulator $0 through their sample program
    3.5" TFT LCD Car backup monitor from Ebay $30
    A 18650 x2 3.7v Rechargeable Battery PCB. Creates 7.2v battery pack. $10
    2x 3.7v 18650 UltraFire batteries at 2400mAH. $4.25
    Solder, wire, and other supplies [had to get pretty much EVERYTHING] (estimated): $35
    Total (so far): $92
    Still need to get parts for the audio amplifier and speakers (probably another $15-$25)
    Total (highest with the audio parts added in): $117

Not very expensive... but then the batteries also will probably only get me an hour of play time lol I am probably going to replace those in the future with something a bit more powerful.
    I don't think with all the spare time I have it will take me more than a week to build :)

9. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

$117, ironic. Those batteries won't give you a lot of play time. I do like the enclosure, though. Did you only get one regulator? You can get 8 parts (I think) from TI at a time. And I believe it's 3.3V, not 3.7V. 3.7V will fry it.

As for speakers, iPod/MP3 speakers (cheap ones) work great.

10. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

Master Chief :awesome: haha I didnt plan it like that.
    I know they wont :) I was just getting impatient waiting for moneys so I just got some ebay cheapies. Like i said ill probably end up replacing the batteries with something that will last alot longer.
    I like the enclosure too lol thats why I ordered it ;) Im going to try to put the disc drive right plop in the middle of the case facing up. then put in some sort of disc drive lid... with the screen sitting inside the drive lid, all flush with the rest of the case. (If that made any sense to anyone) I think itll look better and be ALOT less dangerous than having something sticking off the back (as is the case with Bacteria's PS1P or SS's GameCube portable).
    I think its 3.7 or 3.4 but then again its been awhile since ive seen the documentation on all that =3 dont blame a newb for being a newb :lol:
    I didn't know I could get more than one TI regulator so I didnt =/ Oh well though... next time I know :)
    Thanks for the tip =] ill probably just get some used speakers from a local thrift store.

11. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

Forget computer speakers if that's what you were thinking of, they are huge.

12. Royal

Royal Active Member

You might want to change the name of the topic now... PSX would be too expensive to portable-ize... :dahroll:

13. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

Haha edited! only cause you asked soooo nicely ;)

14. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

TI Regulator came today ^_^
    later will go buy the capacitor and resistor I need from RadioShack, and solder it up then wait for the rest of the parts to come... so suspenseful haha

15. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

ordered more regulator samples and an audio amp sample from TI..
    also bought a portable DVD player from ebay.
    probably going to get a few more PS1s from ebay so if you want a PS1 portable ill sell one for cheap when im done =)
    Most of my parts should be here within the week...
    SO...
    Ill actually start posting WIP pics soon XD

16. Royal

Royal Active Member

:palmer:

17. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

:trollface:

Screen came today... PIX... TOMORROW!!! :palmer:

haha not really ;)

[​IMG]
    PS1 MoBo and other parts I need

[​IMG]
    PS1 MoBo and 3.5" Ebay Screen

[​IMG]
    Banana Bread... Fuel for modding ;)

[​IMG]
    The Screen of the base

[​IMG]
    just making sure it still worked outside the casing

[​IMG]
    Wired up...

[​IMG]

HOLY flax!!! IT WORKS!!!

Weee!!!!

b(^_\\d

EDIT:
    Its not hard wired to the MoBo completely yet due to the fact that that my project casing has not come. probably isnt smart to do until I know exactly how much room I have to work with. But it is running off the PlayStation's power. After I get the casing I think the first thing im going to do after fixating the screen is hardwire it then mod the unit to do both input and output for video + audio :)

18. lyberty5

lyberty5 Well-Known Member

can you link to that screen? I HAD never seen 3.5 ebay screen with brightness and contrast controls

19. Bush

Bush sweet justice

They have them, you have to touch their pins with ground to activate.

20. iamtyler

iamtyler Member

Its kinda cool its got an entire contrast brightness and all that cool flax. cost me a little extra though...
    LINKED!!!
    I thought I linked it in my first post >.>