My MAME arcade cabinet

While reading
- I am still in school (which means I am on a budget)
- I suck at spelling and grammer and writing things in general
- this is my first post
- I am terrible at writing
-all of these pictures are taken from my phone and i am aware that they are bad

I have looked at modretro for a while now, just to look at all the amazing things people have created. I am no where near as skilled as some of the people on here but I though I would give my best shot at a project and see how it would turn out.

As you see by the title i chose to build an arcade cabinet. I looked up a lot of stuff online and decided I would make an arcade cabinet with 2 joysticks.

I learned about the raspberry pi and emulation station/retro pi project. I did more searches and came up with a list. (This is a very loose list)
-raspberry pi B+ model 2
-arcade cabinet
-monitor
-speakers
-2 joysticks and 16 arcade buttons
-I might have forgotten something because I lost this list

UPDATE #1
So my first purchase was a raspberry pi B+ model 2. Then I purchased a snes USB controller(amazon), a monitor (w/VGA and power cables from a thrift store.

r6mfctgr7

Then I put emulation station on the raspberry pi.

UPDATE #2
I found an arcade cabinet on Craig's list for $90. It was empty and had 2 joysticks and 16 buttons, which was perfect for my project. The only thing wrong with it was that one side was spray painted. My dad and I drove to pick it up. When we got there we talked a little to the guy who said he bought it make a MAME cabinet as well but never got around to it. The cabinet was covered in cobwebs inside and out. We walked away with a 6 ft arcade cabinet, glass for the monitor and the marquee, a marquee light, the 2 joysticks and 15 buttons, an old computer monitor, some black poster board (was previously used as a bezel around the monitor), and later when we got home we found an ipac controller wired to the buttons.

That was not the only thing I found. I also found mouse poo in the bottom of the cabinet while cleaning it out. Don't worry I sprayed it to kill possible diseases then vacumed it out and sprayed the inside of the vacuum.

IMG_20150824_122202.jpg

IMG_20150824_122209.jpg

IMG_20150824_122216.jpg

IMG_20150824_122224.jpg

I wish I got a before picture with the poo and cobwebs but I forgot so :/

UPDATE #3

I painted the sides and top and back door. Im really happy the way it turned out

IMG_20150825_151731.jpg

IMG_20150825_171313.jpg

IMG_20150825_171349.jpg

Im painting it black because idk what else to do and my dad wants it out of the garage soon so he can park. I also started to fill in the two holes in the front with wood putty.

IMG_20150824_122253.jpg

IMG_20150826_203727.jpg

Thats all for now.

UPDATE #4

as I have stated at the top I am not a professional at anything so I don't think I can re-wire the speakers or marquee light(btw the speakers are old and magnetic). So with that in mind I think I will use other speakers and get a different light that has an ac adapter.

What I have done is paint the front and controller pannel because the ugly gray really got to me.

[
IMG_20150826_170842.jpg

IMG_20150828_154930.jpg

IMG_20150829_110208.jpg

UPDATE #5

I went to home depot and got some power strips and a few other things recently so I thought I should list the stuff I have got so far.
-monitor
- VGA cable
- R-pi 2
- speakers
- usb controller (for testing)
- snes controller (that was an accident I forgot to return it but oh well)
- VGA to HDMI adapter
- arcade cabinet
- USB converter (I don't actually know what this is but it was on my list :confused: )
- power strip
- extention cable

future updates coming soon

Back