My Frist Ps1 Case Mod

My First Ps1 Case Mod

This is my first attempt at a Ps1 case mod, I've gone through many different ideas and it's sat around for over a year before I finally got around to doing it. Here I will be going over what possibilities there may have been, any progress that is currently done, and lastly any progress done after this will be added later.

-Before the project started

When I first came up with this I had different ideas before coming to the final version. Some of these were, a trans am styled ps1 case with t-top disc cover, and a final fantasy 7 styled case with the ff7 meteor logo on the cover. I ultimately came to the conclusion since this was my first time and I really didn't have much to work with both in tools and money that I should go for something more simple. This is when I came up with the final version about a year later. Until then I had disassembled it, cleaned it up, and left it in a box.

N5fRrbT.jpg

4tziCT6.jpg

h0qJYcR.jpg

26pIVhe.jpg

2Dxmiwn.jpg

zF6dH2Z.jpg

-A year later

After having my Ps1 disassembled in a box for a year it was time to finally get this thing done, so I finally got it out and began work on it.

The first step was to get her painted.

AmQ76qk.jpg

I also did a controller but due to bubbling and not wanting to redo it I've scrapped it for now.

m51wLby.jpg

After letting it dry I got it all clear coated.

8z1odz2.jpg

Now I ran into problems where I forgot to dremel things so I've had to make touch ups and what not. The mistake of a first timer.

LZzjyWp.jpg

This is where things really got fun! This is the part where I add the lights, of course there was more work before this but I only took so many photos besides that I'm sure you'll notice changes along the way.

For the lights I really didn't have money at the time to buy the appropriate leds so.. I used a webcam that had lights on it with a dimmer. I used a ProLynkz World Cam PWC-010.

This is it.

y8Dl33f.jpg

After a lot of researching the mother board and power board as well as running it power issues. I looked online and found out there was a 5v line on the motherboard. After hacking the Heck out of the webcam and painting the white leds with a clear blue. I hooked it up to that line and to my surprise it worked!

HM2OwS3.jpg

O5JtGmS.jpg

UXBrOaq.jpg

After tapping the wires out of the way and making the other touches I needed to like cutting a hole in the side of the case for the dimmer, I finally put it together sort of.

FHIM55h.jpg

Now after putting some more finishing touched on it and putting the disc covers spring mechanics back in I took a picture of it at it latest stage!

K8ra0tu.jpg

Surprise! There is also a video!

So as of right now this is as far as this Ps1 is in progress. The ps1 logo still needs the final touch and I still would "like" to add plexiglass but that may come at a later date. The only other thing needed is to buy another working ps1 and replace the laser in this one, I have tried pot tweaking it and I can't making it read much better. So other than that it's almost done.

Let me know what you think so far and give me any criticism you think is needed.

That looks awesome...
I've had some clear perspex and a bag of resistors and LED's for well over a year for the same type of mod... never had a dremel until now...

Definite motivation.
Good stuff!

Btw ...at one stage I owned 12 playstations.. i got heaps of parts. I'd be more than happy to swap a spare laser into one of the few I have left and test it out. Just PM an offer. The adjustment is dependant on media though ..so you will want to stick to the same blanks if using burnt media. Can also program modchips :)
Edit: just realised you are in Canada...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it and even more glad that it may give you some motivation for your own project. I never thought about clear Perspex as that would be better then Plexiglas. It is much appreciated that you would have worked out a deal for a laser, but like you've notice yeah I'm in Canada haha Thanks anyways though. If you do start your project make a topic and let me know when you do! :D

This is really cool man I like it! a matching controller would defo look sweet. I'm currently working on a similar project and I'm posting up the progress in the PS1 section if anyone wants to check it out :)

Back