Model 2 Sega CD Cant read disks.

dude2207

so a year ago i bought a Sega CD with some left over money i had.
for a year it just sat in a drawer. i recently got Sonic CD and i tried to play it but
when i turn on the system you can hear it trying to spin for about a second and then it stops.
the red access light is also always blinking.
i tried to use an audio CD to see if it was the disk and the same thing happens.

The Motor isn't spinning because you have the case opened.

If you're 100% sure the motor isn't working when the case is shut and together.. I don't think you'll have much luck repairing it.

Are you using a genuine Sega CD power adapter?

Hello, Long time lurker, 1st time Poster.
I have been working on a Model 2 Sega CD the last few days and was hoping I could get some help diagnosing what the problem is.
I replaced the infamous blown fuse on the board, and was able to get the system to boot. Unfortunately I then discovered it won't read discs. Usually I got the "checking disc", followed by 'push start", which would take me to the CD player, where I'm told there's "no disc". After many attempts with various SCD games I was able to get to the SEGA logo screen a few times, but it would freeze at the end of this animation.
Inside the console are 4 screws along the side of the bottom of the CD Drive, and 1 directly under the laser. I assumed these were to calibrate the laser, so I tried minor adjustments to the screws, but found it only seemed to make things worse.
After returning the screws to their original position I tried again and noticed sometimes the SCD would sound like the disc was loose, or shuffling around when spinning, but when it sounded like this it seemed to get closer to loading. I also discovered when I held my hand down firmly on top of the disc tray when it was loading, it would get to the SEGA screen almost every time, but would still freeze there. One time I was able to get past this to the "Electronic Arts" logo (Road Rash CD) only to have it freeze here.
I'm using official power supplies for both my Sega CD and model 1 Genesis, I have cleaned the system and ran it open and confirmed there is a laser coming out of the lens. Sorry for the lengthy post, wanted to get some other opinions before I resorted to replacing the laser.

Kickback said:
The Motor isn't spinning because you have the case opened.

If you're 100% sure the motor isn't working when the case is shut and together.. I don't think you'll have much luck repairing it.

Are you using a genuine Sega CD power adapter?
whether the case is open or closed makes NO difference, this is true of anything.

If the access light blinks and the the disk spins, it means that your motor is working.
Try checking all the wires and caps and see if none of them are faulty.

These things are rigid and can take quite a lot o punishment before actually breaking down.
Also look at the connector slots to see if they're clean. Bad contacts will prevent the device from working since the Sega MegaDrive is the main controller in that set up.

Sorry for a huge bump, haven't been on these forums on awhile.
Just saying I haven't looked at the system in awhile and still have no clue how to fix it.
Any advice would be helpful.

Back