Material for CNC cutting?

exp0wnster

For my future portables, I plan to use a CNC machine that my school has ( I'm sick of sanding for hours and hours , and this will give a much cleaner look to my portable )
What should I order for the cutting material? I don't want to use wood, and if plastic would be able to be cut in the machine I would prefer to use it.
I just have to go in early/late one day after school, so right now I'm just contemplating ideas

THanks!

You should figure out how powerful the CNC machine is first, then make your case based around that.

It'd be cool to see some aluminum portables.

SS

I'm on break so I don't have any numbers, but it cost round 1000 dollars I think. Its pretty powerful.

S.S. - Aluminum would be cool, but there would have to be a lot of insulation which would increase it's size.

Beta - So just buy a sheet of Abs? I plan to design it out so it would fit together nicely like how a lego sort of snaps together.

robm - I plan on making a Gameboy SP - style device, so I don't think foam would work out too well. Plus fiberglass is a bit dangerous to use and I don't want to buy the respirators.

Right now the design is "set" as GBA-SP Style thing, but I'm just planning it out for whenever I have time. Sports are very time consuming.

Here's a quick draw up:

http://i.imgur.com/Z51ep.jpg

$1000 for a CNC mill is less than bottom of the barrel. That's DIY levels of cheap. Can it even do metal at all?

-An engineer

Insulation wouldn't be remotely hard, it's pretty much be the same as any other portable. You could just coat the inside with paint once or twice.

SS

I may be a bit late here but I've used small and relatively cheap CNC plotters for aluminium before, first off how big is this machine? if its A4 size $1000 isn't too shabby (ie hobby quality) and should cut aluminium just fine if you get the correct cutting speed and tool and take everything slowly. Aluminium is pretty soft as far as metals go and my old schools cheap plotter cut it just fine. As for insulating you could just cover the inside of the case in a thin plastic or just simply cover connections thoroughly like SS said. Depending on how accurate your machine is you could cut up a case .5mm thick and have something that looks incredible! Not to mention you could have it put in holes for threading etc and if you get the opportunity you could anodise it different colours.
I guess what I'm saying is that most CNC machines that aren,t specifically for plastic etc could cut aluminium with time and care to dimensions.

P.S. due to the general softness of plastics it can lead to a bit of deformation when cutting so the tool leaves tracks on the surface of the work. I found that one out the hard way :<

Prandy

Thanks for the post! This thread is still active.

I plan on either cutting it by hand, or by CNC, but still the same style ( cutting 2d shapes to assemble a 3d case). However, since I don't really know the specs of the CNC machine, I'm going to stick with plastic so I can always revert to cutting it by hand. Any special recommendations on the types/ thickness of the plastic?

EDIT: At the school right now, it is a CNC SHARK if anybody is wondering

exp0wnster said:
Thanks for the post! This thread is still active.

I plan on either cutting it by hand, or by CNC, but still the same style ( cutting 2d shapes to assemble a 3d case). However, since I don't really know the specs of the CNC machine, I'm going to stick with plastic so I can always revert to cutting it by hand. Any special recommendations on the types/ thickness of the plastic?

EDIT: At the school right now, it is a CNC SHARK if anybody is wondering

I do a lot of plastic CNC cutting ( http://www.edsjunk.net) And i use either sintra (a PVC Plastic) or Starboard (HDPE Plastic) Pricey if you have to buy full sheets, but look on ebay and you can get smaller sheets. I made my newest xbox portable from starboard ( http://www.xbook360.com )

Back