Manipulating 3DS IR sensor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blargaman91, May 17, 2015.

1. Blargaman91

Blargaman91 Well-Known Member

I've toyed with the idea of having an external controller for the 3DS before but I've always hated having to open such an expensive console and put wires in it. I see people making GameCube controller mods with wires and connectors sticking out of the side and I wonder if no one's attempted using the IR sensor to do all that. I can't find any information on the 3DS IR sensor other than it's used by the circle pad pro, but I'd like to know if it can be used to override the system's main controls as well as add the circle pad pro's controls. Does anyone think that is a possibility?

2. Ampz

Ampz Active Member

Sounds very doable i have a broken 3ds xl so if i
    ever get time i can look at it and take some pictures
    if that might help

3. Blargaman91

Does anyone have info on the IR sensor?

4. Shank

Shank Formerly Known As Dyxlesci

When Sakuri talked about the c stick on the new 3ds in smash bros, he stated that the reason circle pad pro support wasn't added was that it consumed 5% of the processors power. They were pushing the limits of what the 3ds could do, and needed to use all available resources.

I think the reason this isn't so feasable is because support for the accessory would have to be already included in the game. If you wanted to add support, a lot of heavy software modification would be nessessary.

1: A controller accessory would be need to be made
    2: A chip to convert the button presses into IR bianary flashes
    3: Software would need to be written (and somehow installed) to decode and use the IR signal
    4: more software would be needed to spoof the console into thinking the IR inputs are actual controller inputs

The sensor is probably a pretty simple IR detector like those found in TVs. What it really comes down to is software

5. Blargaman91

That sounds like something homebrew could do. I wouldn't know how to do something like that but someone might.

6. Prog

Prog Not a Memeā„¢ Staff Member

This would be insanely complicated.
    A better idea would be to add your own IR sensor and use it to manipulate button presses but it's still more difficult than it's worth.

7. Blargaman91

Well, okay then... I guess I'll stick with wires. Thanks.

8. PSIDuck

PSIDuck Active Member

9. legofan623

legofan623 Well-Known Member