LOB64 Klobio Box (for 3-4 Players)

So I was looking through the guides and found at the end of the LOB64 Standard, it said that a Klobio Box was still in development and hadn't been completed yet; so I started working on a schematic for it.
Note that this is all theory and I haven't tested this! If someone makes this and tests it, I'd greatly appreciate some form of confirmation. ;)

(Click image for full size)

Wiring for the cables.

Optional LEDs that show which cables are plugged in and turned on.

If you can't tell what's going on, I'll try to explain:

The 5th and respective logic cords for Players 2 (cords 5 and 6), 3 (cords 5 and 7), and 4 (cords 5 and 8) all connect to two-way-switches on the outside. This allows Players to use a normal ethernet cable instead of a LOB64 cable if they don't have one as the cords are switched internally if the switches are in the "off" position. If the switches are in the "on" position then it will treat the cables as LOB64 cables and just forward them to the correct cords on Player 1's cable.

At first I was expecting this to be difficult, considering the fact that the way two-way-switches work is they take one input and forward it to one of two outputs. Then I realized something: I can just have one output that gets power from one of two inputs.

For Players 3 and 4, this is simple enough as on Player 1's cable they will always be cords 7 and 8. They aren't switched at any point in the LOB64 cable so the output would always be cord 7 for Player 3 and cord 8 for Player 4. Where it does get tricky is with Player 2, as its logic line is switched with Player 1's logic line on the LOB64 cable. This means it's switched twice if there are two LOB64 cables being used and no times if normal ethernet cables are used. To fix this, the output of Player 2's switch goes to Player 1's switch instead of directly to the cable as Players 3 and 4 do.

Now that the explanation is out of the way, lets get to some logic. I'll label cords as "P(Player Number).(Cord Number)". So "P3.7" is Player 3's 7th cord.

If Player 4 is using a LOB64 cable, redirect cord P4.6 to P1.8. (This is because LOB64 cables redirect Player 4's logic to cord 6 rather than keeping it at cord 5)
If Player 4 is using an ethernet cable, redirect cord P4.5 to P1.8. (Ethernet cords don't redirect cords internally, meaning Player 4's logic will stay on the 5th cord)
If Player 3 is using a LOB64 cable, redirect cord P3.6 to P1.7.
If Player 3 is using an ethernet cable, redirect cord P3.5 to P1.7.

If Player 2 is using a LOB64 cable, redirect cord P2.6 to Player 1's switch.
If Player 2 is using an ethernet cable, redirect cord P2.5 to Player 1's switch.
If Player 1 is using a LOB64 cable, redirect Player 2's switch's output to P1.5. (Now because Player 2's input to Player 1's cable is dependent on both Players 1 and 2's cables, it needs two switches. Because LOB64 cables switch cords 5 and 6 internally, we'll put Player 2's logic at cord 5 so it will be switched again to cord 6)
If Player 1 is using an ethernet cable, redirect cord Player 2's switch's output to P1.6. (Player 2's input to Player 1's cable is still dependent on both's types, but now Player 1's cable won't switch cords 5 and 6, meaning we have to wire Player 2 directly to cord 6)

Thanks for reading and I hope my two hours of work pays off ;)

I think you are trying to over complicate things. There's no need for physical, mechanical switches. When they say "switch" on the LOB64 standard thread they meant to swap the lines. This can be done with a custom crossover type cable. You can build a magical 4 player super crossover cable and achieve the same results. Although I believe they recommend an amp on the video line and possibly the audio. So I think you want a physical box with all the ports on it and the amps inside.

Here's a quick drawing of my interpretation of the Klobio Box. I added the 3.3v regulator and the controller only ports because I've always thought it was a shame that there's not enough pins on an RJ45 cable to make a LOB64 to N64 controller adapter without a separate power source (you need one more pin for the 3.3v line). You may actually need the 3.3v for the amplifiers, but that depends on what you use. I think you can just use the video amp that mmmonkey uses on his RGB mod. And then any audio amp will work, just set the gains really low because they will be amplified again by the portables. Again the audio amp may be optional, it just depends on how much signal degradation you get.

Basically you run the pin 5 from all the other portables to their respective pins on the host/master/server portable. So Player 2 Pin 5 connects to Player 1 pin 6, Player 3 Pin 5 connects to Player 1 pin 7, and Player 4 Pin 5 connects to Player 1 pin 8. While having Pins 1,2,3,4 connected on all the portables (not 1,2,3,4 bridged all together mind you). Then you might need the amplification on the video and possibly the audio lines.

1Egzlu.jpg

Yeah, look at the pic. You use female RJ45 punch down jacks with amps and such. That's why I wrote Klobio BOX.

Add AV in/out to my drawing and then you'll have the all in one I/O box for the LOB64 port standard.

(facepalm) Sorry, I didn't see the title. I understand that the cords switch internally on the LOB64 standard, but this lets you use normal ethernet cables if you don't have a LOB64 one on hand, that's why I used the switches. I just thought it'd be more practical.

You can use any cable with the Klobio Box as long as the pinout is the same on both ends. The recommended standard for wiring cat5/cat5e/cat6 with RJ45 connectectors has the same pinout on both ends and uses the twisted pairs in such a way to avoid cross talk. I have seen wiring in buildings where the so called network technician will wire their own "standard" and they are proud of it because it still works (because it's the same on both ends). Although the crosstalk slows down the communication speed so their wiring is bad. The less common, standard crossover cable switches two of the pairs and will not work for LOB64. The only reason somebody would have this is if they were trying to network two computers that didn't have WiFi together in a peer to peer fashion. The thing is now days most all computers have WiFi and most all routers have built in 4 port switches so crossover cables are a thing of the past. Also if both computers have the proper drivers installed, they will work peer to peer without a crossover cables (all macs work this way and some PCs).

The drawing will work with any wiring of the cable as long as the wiring is the same on both ends. Crosstalk isnt as much of a concern because the cable isn't being used properly as it is and it's a short distance.

The LOB64 crossover cable switches pin 5 with pin 6. If you really wanted the box to be compatible with the LOB64 crossover cable you would add a mechanical switch (SPDT, 3 Pin), just as you've wanted. The center pin would go to the respective controller pin on the player1/host/server and the other pins would go to 5 and 6 on the respective player/slave port.

Now what I'm trying to say is that more people will have a standard cat5/cat5e/cat6 cable with standard RJ45 wiring on both ends then they will have a standard crossover or a LOB64 crossover cable. I mean you only get one with every piece of network gear you buy, and they are available everywhere.Also most people don't have RJ45 crimppers to make a LOB64 crossover cable. And personally if I built a LOB64 enabled portable I'd build a second one before I made a LOB64 crossover cable (unless I had a friend who just so happened to have a LOB64 enabled portable).

So what I'm getting at is that LOB64 crossover cables are extremely niche and standard cables are more readily available. Also it should be up to the owner of a Klobio Box to have all the necessary cabling on hand any way. Otherwise it's like inviting people to come over to your house to play a four player game on a brand new console when you only own one controller. And you expect them to buy their own controllers when they themselves don't own the new console.

Back