Lightning's FINAL PlayStation 2 Portable design

Discussion in 'PlayStation 2' started by Lightning, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Aurelio

Aurelio Active Member

I looked into those Chrontel chips too. Keep in mind that have to be configured on startup, otherwise they won't decode correctly your video

2. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

Indeed you are right, I need to figure out the pins for the boot rom, that's one of the details hidden behind more detailed datasheet..

3. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

Latest render, this is beta 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the EEPROM chip tentatively connected, I'm not 100% sure it's correct yet. The only traces I can't draw yet are the 24 data lines I still need the full datasheet, but at this point I may just buy a chip so I can get the bloody thing!!

Lastly, I'm open to name suggestions, any ideas a welcome!!

4. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

Sup yall!!

So my HDMI board is almost done, but still on hold. As a result I've been designing some minor PCB components for my portable, and I must say, I think this is gonna be my new thing!!

First up just a simple pass-through for the ribbon of my LCD. I was gonna buy one but they were all a little big.

[​IMG]

Second a mounting board for the USB port and memory card. I'm going to cut a memory card port out and bend the legs up to make it a standalone SMD component.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last, and probably the most complicated (it sure took a while to draw all the traces). I discovered that the old network adapter from the fat PS2 was essentially integrated into mainboard, chip and all, and the only reason the signals are pulled low is because they're usually unused. Conclusion: they can be removed.

So I'm going to use the original soft PCB cables, folded over at 45 degrees, without resistors, and my own custom IDE board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be ordering these boards in a few weeks, probably try and arrange them all tetris like so I can get them all in one printing. Perhaps now I'll make a few controller button boards.. Yea this is definitely my thing now

5. RedmagnusX

RedmagnusX Active Member

Man these boards look like they're gonna be awesome. Are you planning on selling prebuilt PS2 Native HDMI and PS2-IDE boards in the future? I know I would definitely be interested.

6. keshav

keshav Member

Hey lightining will it support a 2tb ssd (Samsung 850 pro)

7. keshav

keshav Member

Hey lightining will this mother board fit in a laser doodle case

8. Miggas

Miggas Member

Is this thread dead?
    If not, can the ADV7125 can do the job for VGA output?

9. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

It certainly must seem that way, I am in fact still working on it however, And I'm actually using the ADV7511 now interestingly enough.

If you wanna do VGA output you can actually get native VGA from the stock converter chip (CXM4XXX), just put the PS2 in RGB mode in settings, and grab H and V sync from pins 22 and 21 respectively.

Hit me up over PM if you have any other questions

10. Diminuendo

Diminuendo Well-Known Member

But would that be a progressive signal?

11. Miggas

Miggas Member

I thought about that, but i think if you tap directly to the H and V sync pins it uses progressive signal.
    If not maybe even try taping to the pins directly from the EE+GS chip.
    I'm just guessing, i haven't tried myself, but i also think it wont work because in the Matrix Infinity menu when i enable VGA mode, my monitor says signal out of range which is 56 to 75 hz vsync and the console outputs 31hz in this mode.
    Maybe it's in interlaced mode and my monitor doesn't support it.

12. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

What version of matrix infinity are you using that let's you change video modes in it's config menu?

13. Miggas

Miggas Member

I'm using the latest version, 1.93.

14. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

Okay well the method I outlined is not the same, I would advise you to simply not use the matrix infinity VGA function, and if you want to have more control over the VGA signal, I suggest you use GSM

15. Miggas

Miggas Member

I could use GSM, which I have used in the past but some games don't start with it.
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II Renegade and Jak 3 are three examples of this case, but Jak 2 and 3 when i enable progressive mode in the graphic settings it works with VGA (or RGB/YPbPr) without GSM.
    But Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy even when i enable PAL (Non interlaced) in OPL+GSM it still doesn't work.

16. Lightning

Lightning Active Member

Fair enough, the ADV chips would definitely be more versatile than the stock converter, by all means give it a try

17. Miggas

Miggas Member

By the way Lightning, are you going to post in the future the schematic you are using with the ADV7511?

18. gman

gman Well-Known Member

I do not believe this chip will work. The digital RGB is a 1.7v signal so you must use a dac with a 1.8v digital power supply. I used the THS8135. It probably isn't the best choice but it does work. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ths8135.pdf

19. Miggas

Miggas Member

On the datasheet of the ADV7125 in the electrical characteristics, it's says that the input supports voltages between 0.8v and 2.0v.

20. gman

gman Well-Known Member

That means that an input is registered as high if the voltage is OVER 2v hence the 3.3v power supply logic. An input is low if it is under .8v.