Lightning's FINAL PlayStation 2 Portable design

Lightning

Greetings everyone!! (or at least those of you who still bother to check this section lol)

So as I said in the penultimate post on my previous worklog, I have begun working on a new design for the project, one which I feel is the best approach for the kind of device that I want to build, so with that in mind, I present the initial stages and work that I've done so far;

The idea, for those of you who pay attention, is actually one that I came up with for @PKSYHR, when they brought up the idea of portablizing a fat PS2, and I later realized that it was a far better solution than what I was building. What I am doing is using a GH-035-11 version 12 PS2 (70011), and using the Automan hard drive mod as a means to load my games:

I chose the GH-035-11 revision because of the single EE+GS chip, other versions use the more primitive separate EE and GS chips. the upside is less heat generated, and one other thing which I'm saving for the end...

_20151216_215323_zpsiju9v1zt.jpg

Here you can see the bottom side of the board, the FreeMcBoot memory card (removable of course), the CMOS battery, which I was able to relocate to the bottom side using a holder from and old 79001 motherboard.

_20151216_215228_zpsaoxw1yq2.jpg

here is just a little demo of how I will mount the HDD interface board:

768c1649-7294-4bb2-8989-fbf548cbd85a_zpseconjlc6.jpg

Now, the other thing I mentioned above..

Did you know that the PS2 is actually capable of crisp, high quality video? Anyone who's ever seen a PS2 game being run on a computer through the PCSX2 emulation program, will have noticed how significant the increase in quality is. The reason for this, is that like all game systems, the PS2 has a conversion and compression chip, which takes all that gorgeous video and tramples it down to a mere shadow of it's former self, blurry and just generally dissapointing. PCSX2 skips this step, hence the high quality.

During my research into the version 12 motherboard, I came across a highly detailed service manual, which shows every IC on the board, their respective pin-outs, and how they connect to each other... Basically a modder's wet dream lol

here's the link:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=sche ... schematics

Anyway, this manual showed me, among other things, that the native output of the PS2's GS chip, is 24 bit Parallel RGB... a signal standard which is used by a great many LCD screens... So in a nutshell, what I am attempting is direct video, no conversion, no losses in quality, just an 800x600 LCD, and not a single pixel unaccounted for

Here are my tracings for the data lines:

RGB%20tracing%201_zpshdmemabn.png

My plan is to design and fabricate a small PCB to attach to the resistors that make up the Data signals, sort of like how the hard drive mod is attached actually, and then design a power driver board that will go on the bottom side.

Obviously this is a highly ambitious mod, and I would probably put my chances of success at around 10-15 percent, but if I pull it off... Well I've always wanted a mod named after me lol

sorry for the long post, they wont all be like this

YAY!!! So glad to see another work log of yours. I have finaly ordered all of my parts for my own. I'm really excited to see how this one turned out.

I don't know. Not really something that I was looking for. I couldn't find a 70001 ps2 so I went for a 79001 that I managed to find. Yeah I know that means to HDD mod. I plan to keep the disk drive for it. Yeah... although If I can use this to make some money. I doubt anyone will want it. I would like to go back and make a 70001 portable as it is my prefured one any ways. I also plan to keep the network adapter and use my Raspberry Pi for some network streaming. You gave me that idea in a previous post of yours. But Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix has some compatability issues with OPL and HDL so I'm probibly better off with keeping the disk drive.

The 79001 is by far the best motherboard to use a disk drive with, and is incidentally the motherboard I am most familiar with, having done rather extensive research on the board. Anyway the SMB Raspberry Pi idea is an interesting one, but seems a little pointless when you have a disk drive that works way better. Are you going to use a mod chip?

I don't have many PS2 game so Raspberry Pi :p. Yeah I'm going to use a mod chip. I mean Maybe I don't need the SMB Pi but I just though the possibility was really cool. I haven't decided for certain. Still waiting for all the parts. They should all be in by the first two weeks of hte new year.

Hey, small update, I got the SSD, and I took apart an old laptop to get a SATA port,and JB welded it to the board:

_20151223_203614_zpsau23h40g.jpg

the SSD in place, and you may notice, a few capacitors and a a coil have been relocated to make a more clear avenue to blow hot air off the EE+GS

_20151223_203641_zpseef1dos4.jpg

and the capacitors on the bottom:

IMG_20151223_203328_zps1aauvtx4.jpg

the total height of the board, all components included is about 1.7 cm

It's looking nice. You got it pretty thin there. Can you even use all 250 GB on that SSD? Last I heard Free McBoot only let you use 150 GB. Which is still a lot though.

Yup, I can use as much space as I want, just have to load the games onto the drive in 48 bit mode through winhip. I'm a little unsure if OPL will work, but I think HDL will at least, and if OPL won't work, I'm sure it'd be fairly easy to write compatibility into it

Diminuendo said:
does the SSD have any performace gains? Or is it just to save on power and prevent data loss from vibrations?
Pretty much what you said lol, It definitely saves on power, I think something like 1/4 of a conventional drive, it produces no heat, and the lack of vibration losses is definitely a plus, tbh I hadn't even thought of that one!! As far as performance gains, I don't think there are any, the PATA interface is bound by it's own limitations, so regardless of the speed of the SSD, it won't make a difference, except that there won't be any spin up times, which is maybe a second or two faster lol

As about HDD mode there is already done PCB boards with solder points for 7$. Here. As about capacity - all Official Sony PS2 software (including HDLoader, BB Navigator, HDD OSD and any game that supports installing to HDD) supports up to 137Gb. Any homebrew software including OPL, uLaunchelf, emulators and any of Linux family supports disks up to 2Tb.

BTW PS2 supports up to 2 Hdds where one have to be connected as master but second as slave.

For me it is very interesting about your findings in RGB24. Did you already try to connect some displays directly to these points? BTW you mixed up Hsync and Vsync on your picture :)

Thanks for pointing out the sync thing in my conceptual image, I'll definitely make sure not to confuse those when it comes to hooking the screen up, and no I haven't yet tried to connect a screen, I'm still waiting on the one I ordered.

it was this one BTW:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hdmi ... it-800-600
it has a nice small driver board, AND RUNS ON 5 VOLTS!!!!!

Anyway, as for that link you posted, that package is for the original HD CONNECT, which only supports IDE drives

Lastly, would you mind linking your sources to some of the information you posted? such as the PS2 being able to interface with two hard drives in a master/slave configuration, and I don't know where you heard that HDLoader (which BTW is not official software, it's Homebrew) can only support 137GB, my brother and I have his PS2 using an old 250GB Maxtor drive (admittedly its kind of a moot point, considering how much better OPL is)

So links please!! I wanna know everything I can about this

Ok I will explain:
1) HD Loader is homebrew but copyrighted homebrew. In fact you cannot use it without buying. There is all over the network cracked version of HD Loader (the same story with SNES-Station for ps2). But you are right I forgot that there was 48bit patched version of HDLoader (up to 1Tb).
But anyway who are still using HDLoeader when OPL exists? :)
2) All official PS2 stuff has only 28-bit support (127Gb). If you need to work with them properly you need to patch them for 48-bit. You also need to patch them if you want to use non-sony disks. Here
3) Yeah I know that is for original HD Connect but anyway PS2 supports only IDE connection. Any other connection can be established only via some kind of converters (I see in your picture that you are using maxidiypower sata converter from the same site). So it is still the same solution and there is no need to "reinvent the wheel" and you can use this diagram for soldering points. As you already done :)
4) As about second hdd there is no information in the net. Any device that support IDE connection supports 2 hard disk drives hdd0: and hdd1:. Official PS2SDK has support for it, PS2Linux has support for it. 28th pin has control for it, if grounded - master drive; if not connected - slave drive.
Second HDD in ps2linux.

Right? OPL is so much better!!

Anyway the whole thing with needing to do a patch so that it can use non Sony drives isn't something I've ever encountered, neither with my brother's PS2 (fat), or mine. This could be due to the converter chip on my board, which brings me to your next point, which tbh I don't think I quite grasp.

Obviously the integrated converter board is what makes it possible for me to use a Sata SSD, and it's quite a bit more efficient than having to attach two devices, one to convert the Sata signals into IDE, and then another to transfer them to the non standard points on the motherboard.

One would think that an AIO solution was preferable, and it seems likely that the converter chip would be able to fake the compatible drive authentication codes, if such things are even necessary in the slimline application.

It's interesting that dual drive functionality is built into the PS2 SDK, my guess would be it's a vestigial feature from developer consoles, which would explain why the retail units were only designed to accommodate one, and only for a limited run. H∃ll I can't even guess at why they used a chip with IDE functionality as the interface for the Ethernet port, I mean I'm glad they did, but still, what was the thinking?

As about official sony hdd - they all are 3.5 IDE drives so there is NO way at all to connect them to SATA adapter so dont worry about that. And probably you never get those official sony stuff that can be installed into HDD (very specific). Or maybe not :) Official ps2linux has no need for official drives it is working fine with non-genie hard disk drives.
For example here is my optimal configuration:
1) FMCB on the memory card with disabled option "HDD skip". This allows console to boot up from hdd.
2) Installed HDD OSD 48bit into hdd
3) Installed BB Navigator 0.32
4) Some Linux families - 2.4, 2.6, 3.0
5) Installed FHDB into Hard disk drive.
In fact you can just google for "akuhak bb navigator custom install" where i combined all-in-one. You can install games into this disk also after image installing.

Yeah I'm wondering why Sony encapsulate network and hdd capabilities into one board solution )) And BTW there is also one hardware mod that can be done. I mean ee-sio debug output. Details here. yeah I know that in practice this output has no actual benefit for end user (in fact only u-boot and debugging).

DUDE!! thats actually really impressive how you made an all-in-one installer for that suit of programs, well done!!

I must say I was quite taken with the appearance of the BB navigator, it struck me as a bit of a middle point between the PS2 and PS3 mains. Anyway I don't know how much I'd ever use something like that, because my plan is to have my system auto load OPL during bootup, so for the most part I'll probably never even see the main menu, unless I need to use ulaunch to tweek something or whatever.

All that being said, I'm still gonna try it out and see if I can make it work, because it looks pretty sick!!

Also, I looked up and found the TxD point on my motherboard (love that service manual), so if and when I decide I want to get deep into PS2 bootloader hacking, I'll know where to start lol

Am considering removing the disc drive motor driver to save a few millimetres in the case, according to the service manual, at least as I understood it, the chip is only ever activated when the lid sensor is closed, which of course mine will never be, but I need a little input on it.

looking your way @AKuHAK

Back