Ladies and gentlemen - WE HAVE SOUND!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tchay, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

I decided to test the hidden trace theory that Zenloc and I came up with....

Some of you may recall that my first GCP was without sound, making it a piece of crap sort of. This was because I had cut off too much and broke the sound "somehow". So, I took a few glances at my board, then a few glances at the inner layer shown by Zenloc, and then decided to connect a hidden trace with a single wire. Note, this is the hidden trace that is shown in "red" in the "hidden layers" topic.

I hooked up my speakers and.....

THE SOUND CAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Pics!!!! Not that pictures show sound :dah: but at least you can see what I had to relocate and how EASY it was!

That red wire? Thats the one. Oh, and ignore all the wire mess; that was just some me being reckless and ripping some things off the board that were kinda important :rofl:
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: a cleaner view of the sound fix
    [​IMG]

Sound fix is done by connecting a wire from the 5v pin of the power pins to the little capacitor shown in the above diagram. Credits to Kasar for the original diagram.

2. hailrazer

hailrazer Frequent Poster

Nice work on the hidden trace. Looks like these things will be getting smaller. Now about that darn disc drive. :p

Oh and you want to use spray paing NOT a brush. And paint light even coats. let it dry , then more light coats till it looks great. You can sand the rough spots in between if there are any.

3. J.D

J.D No Stranger To Love

Can't you use your own DD if you mod the system?

Oh and great job Tchay.

4. ShockSlayer

ShockSlayer Probably SS

I never had any probles with sound, but now I know where to go!

Props!

Added to the megasticky. /robm

SS

5. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

Thanks guys!

If by "your own" you mean the Wii disc drive, then yes. But that would be a Wii doppelganger portable which Palmer is working on.

I suppose it is possible to find "something" out there that is close enough to the GC disc drive, but I think its pretty useless to look. I wouldn't even know where to start with modding that 3rd party disc drive to be calibrated with the daughter board :neutral2:

6. PalmerTech

PalmerTech Founder of Modretro Staff Member

The next big jump for a GCp disc drive would be to use a laser focusing assembly that is not absurdly long throw. The way they made it is very, very cheap, and not even close to what it "should" be. :p The main problem would be building a custom focusing mechanism, I have a bunch of focusable laser assemblies from my laser pointer projects, but they are all just as big as the original DD.

Might be worth using some of these old DVD drive lenses to try and move the GC laser closer to the disc. Again, the hard part is going to be getting it focused just, just right. Once that is done a dab of epoxy will keep it there.

7. J.D

J.D No Stranger To Love

But didn't Harshboy use a plain old disk drive?

8. Mako321

Mako321 I like purpale ponies

you gonna do this for your ccube?(or is this your ccube?)

9. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

This is my Ccube.

BTW, the "C" was going to stand for "crap"

But since I am pimping this portable, the "C" will now stand for "compact"

Although I said trying to find a new DD was a waste of time, most of what I do to the gamecube is a waste of time. So.....I am going to "look into" all of this. I will start researching disc drives and see if there is any model DD with similarities to the gamecube one. Palmer, if you know anything that might help, then send me a pm.

I have my electric sander now, but I am 4 or 5 days behind in my school work (have to f*$%ing work all the time) so I will have to put off sanding the Wii mobo for a little while.

10. PalmerTech

PalmerTech Founder of Modretro Staff Member

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

It would be nice if you could find the time to just do the front end of the board with the power buttons. :p But yeah, school sucks.

11. ChaoBreeder

ChaoBreeder Member

Like I said before, congrats!

12. Dr.Rawr

Dr.Rawr Member

Good you. Just good. It would have been horrible if you permanently lost your sound :sweat:

13. Pablojrz

Pablojrz Member

Can I see a full pic of the whole motherboard? I wanna know how much I can cut off for my upcoming GCP

14. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2118

next time, look around a little bit before posting. thx ;)

15. tom10122

tom10122 Active Member

Connect it to the capacitor or diode? You pointed to the diode, I am confused

16. wwwyzzerdd

wwwyzzerdd Member

He probably meant diode, because the red wire is soldered to D1

17. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

:stare:

18. RaAaK the FoX

RaAaK the FoX Member

:trollface: and for rev c ? no tuto ? :( :gonk:

19. Fran Rivas

Fran Rivas Newb

Hi, im a super noob in this topic, i would love it if you help me in this little problem i have... i have no sound on my gamecube.. maybe i broke something im not really sure... when i saw this post i was like super excited cuz there was someone else with my problem.. i have some crappy sound.. its all static and weird... i wanted to follow your sound fix.. but i have amm the other version on gamecubes.. "revision C" something like that.. is the one who only have 1 av port.. the RCA.. no component.. no separate boards.. just a single board.. so maybe you could help me doing this audio fix in this gamecube.. i can go on on my project beacause of these... i dont want a non sound portable gamecube... please reply im a lil desperate:/ i really really wish u could help.. thank u vey much...

ps.. im mexican.. sorry for my bad english:)